It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

420lb. Woman Delivers A Surprise Baby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

ORANGE, March 2, 2007 - A 39-year-old woman who didn't know she was pregnant gave birth this week after going to an emergency room with a stomachache.

April Barnum of Garden Grove gave birth to a full-term, 7-pound, 7-ounce boy by Caesarian section at University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, hospital officials said.
The 420-pound woman said her size kept her and others from realizing she was carrying the baby.

"Usually you can tell if you're pregnant, but with me, I couldn't tell," Barnum said Thursday, a day after the birth. "If he kicked, I didn't feel him kicking."

Dr. Afshan Hameed said her weight likely insulated the tiny movements of the baby.

Doctors saw the baby when they took X-rays of her abdominal area on Monday after she arrived at an emergency room near her home complaining of stomach pains.

She was sent to UCI for prenatal testing, where doctors determined there was a healthy fetus ready to be delivered.

The baby is named after her fiance, Walter Edwards II, 42.

Source

I did not think that this story was 'news worthy' enough for ATSNN so I am posting it here.

It is troubling that something like this could happen. I am just brining this to peoples attention...if anyone wants to discuss or just feel bad for the baby feel free to do so here.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have heard of other larger women not realizing that they were pregnant because of their weight. I don't think that is unusual. If she was taking percausions, along with possibly mild to no sickness, then I see this as very likely.

I would say she was taking good enough care of herself at her weight to have a healthy child with out any doctors visits.

I just hope her fiancee stays with her and helps care for his child. IMHO, I don't think he has any worries or doubts that the child is his. It also sounds like she has family to help her out, which is good.

Who knows maybe momma will not be that heavy for the rest of her life either. I also known stories where a heavier set mother made special efforts to loose weight so they can take care of their child better and be able to play and take walks with their child.

[edit on 4-3-2007 by Mystery_Lady]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
How desperate do you have to be to nail a 420lb woman? Talk about low standards.

Dae

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by spines
I did not think that this story was 'news worthy' enough for ATSNN so I am posting it here.

It is troubling that something like this could happen. I am just brining this to peoples attention...if anyone wants to discuss or just feel bad for the baby feel free to do so here.

Whats so troubling? It feels like gossip this post, pure and simple. Just look at Flyers post! Why should we feel bad for the baby? Is it not alive and well with a life ahead of it?

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
Whats so troubling? It feels like gossip this post, pure and simple. Just look at Flyers post! Why should we feel bad for the baby? Is it not alive and well with a life ahead of it?

I would not want to be born into this world with all sorts of news about me. Thats what I meant when saying I felt bad for it.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There have been many stories of women giving birth when they didn't know they were pregnant.

I know she was fat, but I'd think she'd notice hormonal changes and the lack of periods.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
How desperate do you have to be to nail a 420lb woman? Talk about low standards.

words out of my mouth.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Maybe the daddy is 600 lbs.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Ouch!
Lol,funny,but kinda rude.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Man, this story is
:shk:

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
There have been many stories of women giving birth when they didn't know they were pregnant.

I know she was fat, but I'd think she'd notice hormonal changes and the lack of periods.

The hormonal changes that most women go through, she made have not had them, or not have noticed them as she should have. Not every one gets highly nausiated, vomits, and etc. There are some, I wish I was one of them, that may have a light headache every once in awhile.

She might have considered she got a nasty flu. Was going through some flu like aches and pains, and got crabby from being sick.

As far as mood swings, either she didn't have them, or could have already been a part of her personality. Ouch.

Also, it is not always the case where women have a lack of a period, I know of one woman who had a period during her entire pregnancy.

I say it is very well possible that she didn't know.

top topics

join