It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ET threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Ive heard that we have enough nukes to wipe out the planet. Why would we need to have this? Do we really hate each other that much?
My theory is that our nuclear arsonal is to protect us from ET invadrers. If some advanced race wanted to take over our planet we would all be doomed so why not nuke the whole place and keep those ETs from having our planet. Any advanced life form that has studied us must know we are a crazy species and do not like to lose. Our nukes may be saving us from a real threat.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Question 1) Why would an alien race want to take over our planet. uh... I guess that's the main question.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If I were an alien I would want to take over this nice blue piece of rock.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well, there is always the "ID4" theory of they ran out of resources on their planet and need ours to survive. But if you think about it, a species that evolved would have more than likely found a non-organic substitue for whatever resources they need. Although it does sound like us to start spouting out the selfish reasoning of; "If I can't have it, then no one can!". I think I'm going to follow suit...Now if you'll exuse me I'm taking my ball and going home!

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   
why thou??

what makes are planet so special?? and why do we want to protect are selves from them?? also how do you define alien?? little green man, insects etc. If aliens are just single cell creatures then they are far from a risk to us.

Btw how do you define advance life?? and what is classified as advance life??

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Ive heard that we have enough nukes to wipe out the planet. Why would we need to have this? Do we really hate each other that much?

IMO that's exactly the way it seems. It all has to do with power. Nothing more.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The reason for the multiple nukes is simple. A certain amount will be destroyed before they even launch. Hence, the more you have, the more you can stand to lose, and still launch an effective counter strike. It's really not much more complicated than that...

If our EBE neighbors can manipulate gravity, space/time, as we suspect their drives do, then all nukes would do is get them to leave for a bit (though there is evidence that a nuclear explosion pretty much seriously screws up their gravity drive's action). In fact, such explosions may have ushered in the modern UFO era, or meetings, vs. strict observation.

We have developed other weapons to deal with EBEs... Just listen to Reagan's speech, when he talked about how our troubles would vanish, in the face of an alien threat. Star Wars (or SDI), wasn't made to combat missiles, it was made to serve as a countermeasure to the EBE's threat.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod If I were an alien I would want to take over this nice blue piece of rock.
Why? What do we have that you would want?

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDurden Well, there is always the "ID4" theory of they ran out of resources on their planet and need ours to survive.
Why not mine the asteroids? Makes more sense.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Earth is a pretty nice planet, although we have really messed things up. What if there are aliens and they like our drugs. They could come here and grow all the opium, weed, and brew all the beer they want. The "war" on drugs is probaly why they havent made an effort to make themselves known to our civilization.
Just some ideas floatin around my head.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well, from a lot of the movies I've seen, the aliens like our Earth Women. And apparently they're easy compared to the alien women. Or maybe they'll want some of our produce. And hey, we fought wars over our spices, why wouldn't the aliens do the same? The epic, interplanetary war of Tea.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDurden
Well, there is always the "ID4" theory of they ran out of resources on their planet and need ours to survive.

I had a friend who was once asked in class years ago "why do americans celebrate Independence Day?" he replied with "because its the day we defeated the aliens" he really thought it was based on a true story everybody was laughing at him all day. By the way he was 16.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I really don't think aliens will bother us. If they wanted to start trouble, we would have seen a lot of it by now.
There have been a few minor disturbances (Ft. Bragg, NC, and underground with the military) but not enough to say that anyone wants to do a takeover.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 02:55 AM
link   
We are the neighbors with the truck on cinderblocks in the front yard. I'm sure our alien neighbors would love to see us go and have neighbors who will fix the place up a bit, respect it and keep it clean. Really, look in your neighborhood, the dead grass,the trash, the domestic disturbances...wouldn't you like to see them go?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I think were more of a threat to eachother than Aliens.
Deep

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 03:07 AM
link   
What ET threat?

Granted any alien threat would be hidden from the populace to avoid panic or proof of defense impotence, but as of now there is no ET threat. If aliens truly wanted to take over this planet, they'd have done so ages ago.

The original story of Mars Attacks (the comics, not the movie) had the humans winning by blowing up our nuclear submarines as a show that we would be willing to sacrifice the planet rather than allow Martians to take it over.

The reason for so many nukes, IMO, is to scare off any potential invasion from human invaders. It worked for the U.S., Russia, and now every country that has nukes, like North Korea. Even the U.S. won't tangle with them.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by MrDurden
Well, there is always the "ID4" theory of they ran out of resources on their planet and need ours to survive.

Just siting one particular example. But, if your theory helps you sleep at night; then to each his own.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Ahh....but what if the resources are meat and water?

*goes back to reading...."To Serve Man"...*

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
What ET threat?

Granted any alien threat would be hidden from the populace to avoid panic or proof of defense impotence, but as of now there is no ET threat. If aliens truly wanted to take over this planet, they'd have done so ages ago.

Are you sure the threat would be hidden? I would think you would want to make it known, so as to pull as much of humanity together as is possible. There would be some initial panic, but nothing like what would ensue if they attacked an unknowing populace...

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
When an ET treat is based upon things which are known to be not 100% sure, then what would the government do? Go along with the 90% change they are right, or would they say to wait because of the 10%. What would happen if mankind would panic only afterwards the treat wasn't real?

Next to this I don't think there is a real treat directly (only after a few centuries), but that's my personal view.

new topics

top topics

join