It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Switzerland invades Liechtenstein... by mistake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) -- What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered just over a mile across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

Source: www.nytimes.com...

Also: news.bbc.co.uk...

Thought this was a nice change from all the nasty wars in the world. This might be a way for the hawks within the Bush administration to justify an invasion of Iran... "Our troops got lost and ended up in Tehran. Ooops!"

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Did Switzerland find the WMDs they were looking for?
Ugh,wrong invasion,nevermind.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
in support of Liechtenstein i feel we should mobilize the entire world military to reign in the aggressive provocatures of Switzerland.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You know what they say , # happens

Mod Edit: removed censor circumvention
Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-3-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I am picturing a similar scene in Britain..

Daniels reporting, Sir. We ended up getting lost in a bad part of town, and unfortunately had to defend ourselves against the natives. This was in broad daylight.

In the end we gave up on a police support since the station closes at teatime, and because the courts really couldn't be bothered sending nasty people to jail for doing very nasty things. Brings crime down, you see.

So we had to fight our way out, and ironically it was at that exact stage that a human rights lawyer appeared informing us that if we scratched a hair on the heads of our attackers' then we'd be banged up before our feet hit the ground. There was also a policy in place to stop us from acting 'in case' we were accused of hurting someone's feelings.

We eventually managed to get away, but had further agitation from the UK's disgraceful traffic jams coupled with the price of fuel in this country, which prohibited us from carrying sufficient supplies for our journey. Driving a tank was still cheaper and more comfortable than sitting on a cramped British Rail train trying to afford luxuries such as rotten coffee and sickly sandwiches.

As we returned back to base battered, tired and broke..we passed rows and rows of people waving placards proclaiming their hate for the democracy in Europe and in particular freedom of expression in this country. Their main angst seemed to be Christians, Catholics...and basically anyone who wouldn't give them access to housing and benefits.

Sir, it kinda made us question just what the hell we are defending here. Over and out.

[edit on 3-3-2007 by Ross Cross]

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Damn Swisses
I always knew they were up to something!
How devious to attack a nation without an army

Little off topic about my country: Anyone remember Hans Island?

Big diplomatic incident with Denmark because we sent an helicopter with a few soldiers on the island

I wonder if my country will go to war with Denmark over the Island... Now might be the time with all those riots!!!

Canada Prevails...!

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ross Cross

Daniels reporting, Sir. We ended up getting lost in a bad part of town, and unfortunately had to defend ourselves against the natives. This was in broad daylight.

In the end we gave up on a police support since the station closes at teatime, and because the courts really couldn't be bothered sending nasty people to jail for doing very nasty things. Brings crime down, you see.

So we had to fight our way out, and ironically it was at that exact stage that a human rights lawyer appeared informing us that if we scratched a hair on the heads of our attackers' then we'd be banged up before our feet hit the ground. There was also a policy in place to stop us from acting 'in case' we were accused of hurting someone's feelings.

We eventually managed to get away, but had further agitation from the UK's disgraceful traffic jams coupled with the price of fuel in this country, which prohibited us from carrying sufficient supplies for our journey. Driving a tank was still cheaper and more comfortable than sitting on a cramped British Rail train trying to afford luxuries such as rotten coffee and sickly sandwiches.

As we returned back to base battered, tired and broke..we passed rows and rows of people waving placards proclaiming their hate for the democracy in Europe and in particular freedom of expression in this country. Their main angst seemed to be Christians, Catholics...and basically anyone who wouldn't give them access to housing and benefits.

Sir, it kinda made us question just what the hell we are defending here. Over and out.

[edit on 3-3-2007 by Ross Cross]

here, here! If there was an applaud emote I'd be hitting that right now!

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Has an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council been held yet?

Mark my words, Switzerland's aggression will not stand!

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ross Cross

They actually invaded a village in Spain by mistake not long ago. I'm not kidding. They were having an exercise at Gibraltar, they lost orientation and invaded a Spanish village. They didn't notice until a local Spanish police officer told them that they were in fact in Spain... Doh!

Btw, Switzerland has a very tough army. I bet there are many who doesn't know that, but it's true.

edit to add this article I just found. From CNN:

CNN: British troops 'invade' Spain

British troops temporarily invaded Spain when a landing exercise on Gibraltar went wrong.

They hastily retreated after locals told them of their error.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2007/3/3 by Hellmutt]

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Will Lichtenstein ask for War Indemnities?

Clearly the Swiss were so devious the Lichtenstein could not counter-attack with their mighty nuclear arsenal

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
This is quite embarrasing for them. They had to be new recruits, the Swiss army is trained in excess... I mean the Swiss put more emphasis on training than the Canadians for crying out loud.

I love those Swissies, such a deadly military, and they never use it... now THAT is what I call restraint.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Please...

You clearly exagerate... The swiss can't be training themselves that much

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
Did Switzerland find the WMDs they were looking for?
Ugh,wrong invasion,nevermind.

Oh no you got it all wrong, Switzerland was there to promote democracy.

[edit on 4-3-2007 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost
Please...

You clearly exagerate... The swiss can't be training themselves that much

The Swiss army is tough, as I said. Why is it so hard to believe?

Wikipedia: Military of Switzerland

Switzerland claims to be able to mobilise the entire population for warfare within 12 hours.

I believe them...

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
This might be a way for the hawks within the Bush administration to justify an invasion of Iran... "Our troops got lost and ended up in Tehran. Ooops!"

Please tell me why you people can never say a damn word without including an immature and derogatory comment about George W. Bush. Are you that fixated on Bush that you can't have a coherent thought without immediately trying implicate him in yet another round of left wing propaganda. If you people could possibly grow up, let it go, and use your time and processing power for something other than irrational hatred maybe the world could be a better place. My guess is that you will immediately disregard this entire message and continue on in bumbling rants.

BTW, I read this article this morning and thought it was pretty funny. No harm done.

[edit on 4-3-2007 by MooneyBravo]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Hellmut Lol

I don't doubt the swiss army is tough, I doubt they train as much as we canadians cry out loud

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost

I doubt they train as much as we canadians cry out loud

"for crying out loud" / "are crying out loud"...

Ok, I got it now...

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
If there was ever a war between Switzerland and Canada, I'd bet my money on Switzerland everytime!

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
A funny detail from the Wikipedia page.

Wikipedia: Military of Switzerland

"Swiss Navy" redirects here. See also, Merchant Marine of Switzerland.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
cant say i know how good their army is but they do make a damn fine knife

i mean cmon, its like a transformer for cryin out loud..we all know how deadly THOSE can be right? (waht with the small parts and kids swallowing them and all?)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join