It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neutron Stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
okay, i heard that neutron stars are extremely dense and heavy. I also heard that just one teaspoon would weigh millions of tons. How do scientists know this?

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
They couldn't lift the spoon?

They would of made measurements and calculations on other objects, lots of theoretical science later, bingo.

I still wonder which sock goes on which foot also.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well I just spent ten mintues searching and got nothing except it has to do with the size and radius compared to the Sun. 1.4 times the mass of the sun, 15 km in radius

And one teaspoon would weigh 10 million tons.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
Well I just spent ten mintues searching and got nothing except it has to do with the size and radius compared to the Sun. 1.4 times the mass of the sun, 15 km in radius

And one teaspoon would weigh 10 million tons.

Uhh that actually works out. If we can determine how massive something is and how big it is we can figure out how dense it is. This is basical grade school mathematics.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
A neutron star is basically just a huge atomic nucleus. It's as dense as an object can get without collapsing into a singularity (a black hole).

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
How scientists know it, THEY DON`T. Like numerous other subjects these are based on "educated guesswork" by folk with some letters in front of thier name.

The same goes for evolution, time travel, black holes, quantum physics and numerous other theories which are taught as fact.

Information is passed down one professor learns from another, who learns from another etc.

Because some small experiment on the earth, in earths physical field of laws a certain experiment does this and that, they presume it is the same for some massive thing in outer space.

But you have to start somewhere I suppose, fantasy is the first step and is almost always proven wrong. Like einsteins law that nothing can exeed the speed of light.

top topics

join