It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critics Denounce Pizza Hut Reading Program

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Its a Personal Pan Pizza, I remember

It's pretty small in size. Not even the size of a small pizza by far.

Anyway, I think these people are just pissed off that people really don't care that big corporations are doing exactly what they were meant to do, so they try to convince the parents they are doing something evil instead.

These corporations are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If a corporation doesn't give money or free stuff, they aren't being active or helpful toward the community. They give free stuff or something and all the sudden they are buying people off and promoting the corruption of our youth. What utter BS.

I agree. I remember that program too and I used to like it. I think I got to do the program at least once and yes they were the personal pan pizza's so it's not like they're giving away a whole big box of pizza's to the kids. Oy. And like others have said they're encouraging kids to read. I remember when "Harry Potter" started becoming popular the kids were reading and enjoying it and there were parents out there trying to get rid of it because of the hollywood magic in it. Heh. These parents don't have to get their kids the pizza if they don't want to but they shouldn't stop other kids from enjoying the program. Perhaps the program could team up with another healthier restaurant or something to give an alternative if the parent doesn't want pizza. Plus at least when I was a kid pizza was a treat that we got sometimes.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
is an excellent program in my opinion, which All of our children participated in.

? A free Personal Pan pizza per MONTH is promoting a junk food society ? For having read what 3-5 books(?), OUTSIDE of school/classwork.
Whaaa.

Even though they have either graduated or are in advanced grades which don't offer such, ALL of our children STILL do the weekly library visit ... checking out and READING books.

How a MONTHLY reward can be deemed promotion of a fast/junk food society is beyond me. Especially a program specifically designed to promote expanding our youth's literary growth and/or intellectual horizons through READING. (?)

I'm certainly not a fan of Pizza Hut's menu items, a personal dislike, but ... damn ... why not just do away with any/all programs that promote literacy in our youth?

If the "reward" were a bag of sugar or a pound a fat they might have a point, but to condemn a MONTHLY award consisting of a free personal pan pizza, for having read several books, is quite ludicrous.

Just my two pence on the matter.

I don't think it's the program people are complaining about but the reward. I personally don't have a problem with the reward itself but the parents complaining I think are just wanting some other type of reward for reading. *shrug* Just what I think.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I bet if "the book" were to espouse alternate lifestyles, such as "My Two Dads", they would have no problem with it.

You hit the nail right on the head!

And BTW, This is not a one sentence post...lol

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I loved reading books as a kid, especially for this. I believe the program required that 5 books must be read before we got a pin and sticker, which we could trade in for a personal pan pizza.

This program helps much more than it hurts. From a psychological perspective, it's not good to reward children with food, but given that this program only gave a tiny pizza once a month, I think it wouldn't cause any harm to children.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Good grief what a load of claptrap. If a pizza month gets kids to read then I'm all for it. On of the local pizza parlors here gave kids who made student of the month a small pizza; so what. The kids enjoy a small reward and I enjoyed a good excuse to take my daughter to a dinner out; add a salad it's not all that bad. Whatever the motive Pizza Hut is doing a good thing IMHO.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
My son is in kindergarten and participates in this program. He has to read 10 books per month and he gets a certificate for a free personal pan pizza. He really likes the program and he is allowed library time every day if he wishes. He brings home a new book almost each day. We worked with him last summer before kindergarten with phonics. When his teacher introduced him to the program he was very excited. He earns his certificate each month and when we go to pizza hut he pays for his own pizza. The program gives the children incentive to read with the reward; the program teaches children the value of work; and the program gives the children a sense of accomplishment. I really wonder if these people have children. With the state of education in this country why would anyone denouce any kind of program to get children to read? Don't these people realize how important reading is to a childs overall education?

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Ha these hippies don't have anything better to do than pick on overweight little kids? I used to read the books just to sell it to my friends. To me this program is not only promoting junk food consuption but also future businessmen/women

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
These pinko libs complain about everything. If Pizza Hut didn't do this they would just target some other large company. These people are real loonies. I can't imagine growing up with one or two of them for parents. They probably make their kids wear helmets and knee pads while sitting on the coach reading N.Korean children books. I couldn't go through life as a whining pinko. It must really suck to be them.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
funny I have found TWO threads that these lyrics apply to now:

"This is a coalition to ban coalitions I ain't a politician but I've got views
Some folks want to ban cars some want to get rid of Fender guitars
Why don't you do your thing and we do our thing too
Now they want to take my cigarettes and all my good whiskey
And these damn coalitions they're after you and me
They want to get rid of my forty fours and all the R rated films
If they only knew how much we'd all love to get rid of them"

as I said before, YOU TELL EM HANK!!!

haha that's the best coalition, I say.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
You can't look at this reading sponsorship by Pizza Hut in isolation.
Mcdonalds also sponsor childrens sporting events, they've also sponsored readathons here in Australia in the past.
Why do these companies do this if they don't get profit from it?
Because they do. With all these junk food companies sponsoring womb to the grave events they know that they are subliminally influencing kids from a very young age to get hooked on junk food. We then blame the poor unfortunate kids who get addicted and blow up into 89kg monsters.

Junk food companies use the same techniques that the tobacco and alcohol companies have used in the past, and still do. By sponsoring healthy pastimes like reading, sports etc they hope some of this will rub off on thier company.
And it does. If type of advertising didn't work, they wouldn't bother with it.
Its dangerous because it's not obvious. It's very subliminal. And kids are easy prey.

I totally disagree with any junk food companies flogging their unhealthy wares to the general public at large but more so to kids.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Absolutely rediculous.

I understand that there is an obesity epidemic in this country, but I garantee it's not caused by families going out for pizza once a month. There is a huge difference between pizza being a treat and pizza being a staple in one's diet. Moderation is the key.

And it's not like the program is manditory or part of your grade. It's just a fun way to encourage children to read. If certain parents don't want their kids participating, then they are absolutely entitled to exercise that option. Maybe instead of taking them to Pizza Hut they could take them to a movie or have some sort of "Family Night" at home, to reward them for reading the 5 or 10 books that would get them the pizza certificate. They don't have to ruin it for the rest of the families who enjoy the program, and the kids who are learning to (and enjoying) reading.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Rampant silliness. Get kids to step away from the video games, and actually *gasp* read something other than the gamebox cover, and it's a bad thing? So what if the reward for doing so is an itty-bitty little pizza, for cripes sake these people need to find a fight that needs fighting, not make one up out of whole cloth.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I have stopped reading altogether so I can play videogames and eat pizza 24/7. It's my choice and I am happy with that so don't rain on my parade.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Ooops. Sorry to have stepped on your toes there...please go back to your regularly scheduled videogame, and never mind me.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with pizza in moderation as part of a balanced meal. So it isn't the healthiest entree available. Neither are hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs, fatty steaks, heavy pastas, most Chinese food and so on. Much of America's popular cuisine isn't exactly healthy.

Does any one bitch about McDonalds and their Ronald McDonald House charity? Some people can never see the good in anything! I say keep up the good work Pizza Hut.

Besides, if a child doesn't have a proper diet it's the parents fault not the fast food industries. Take some responsibility people!

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster

Besides, if a child doesn't have a proper diet it's the parents fault not the fast food industries. Take some responsibility people!

THANK YOU!!! Finally some one else speaks some common sense. I thought I was alone in the idea that responsibility needs to be taken.

You get a WATS. First one used since december.

DCP

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
i am getting old...what happened to pizza having all 5 of the main food groups in it

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCP
i am getting old...what happened to pizza having all 5 of the main food groups in it

They do. Not only a salad bar, but also the pizza contains: Breads (crust), Fruit (tomato sauce), Dairy (cheese), Vegetable (mushroom, olives, etc), and Meat (beef).

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
"So what if the reward for doing so is an itty-bitty little pizza, for cripes sake these people need to find a fight that needs fighting"
(originally quoted by seagull)

Thats right i say we send these hippies to iraq

P.S can anyone help me with this quoting thing?
[edit on 4-3-2007 by Falken]

[edit on 4-3-2007 by Falken]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You can click the "quote" button to the top right of every post, or you can use the quote tags: [quote] Place whatever quote you want. [/quote] gives:

Place whatever quote you want.

I can guarantee you that the people who want it banned haven't seen the size of the personal pan pizza. It's equivalent to about two normal slices of pizza.

[edit on 4-3-2007 by DJMessiah]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join