It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missile FLying over Utah? Caught By Google Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Given the number of flights in U.S. airspace on any given day (over 87,000 per day according to the Nat'l Air Traffic Controllers Assoc. Over 28,000 being commercial flights),

www.natca.org/mediacenter/bythenumbers.msp

I'm surprised that more planes aren't seen on Google Earth.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

Originally posted by deltaboy
Its definitely a plane. I can see the darker shades of the planes wings and tail. Its a FAKE!!!

fake?!? if its a plane its not fake... just a plane. Most likely its a plane with dark colored wings.

Didn't you know that planes are fake? Planes don't exist.

THR

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
According to the legend the thing is 25-30 meters long if it was flying right above ground.
Wouldn't it have to be an ICBM to be that size if it was a missile?

I'm thinking more that the explination of the plane is correct.

[edit on 4/3/07 by thematrix]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Its definitely a plane. I can see the darker shades of the planes wings and tail. Its a FAKE!!!

It's NOT a fake. However, I must agree with some of the other people posting that it's not a missile, but rather a jet. If you want to find it yourself, go onto www.maps.google.com, then put in the coordinates: 38°13'36.38"N, 112°17'56.59"W. Click on satellite and zoom in. It will be there. (BTW, that's the exact link in the OP, but do it yourself to prove that the photo wasn't faked by the OP.)

You can easily see the wings of the jet. They are probably painted a darker color than the white fuselage, thus it is hard to see against the dark background.

IMO, definitely a plane, not a missile (and not a fake.)

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex
some people especulate is a plane

I was thinking the exact same thing. You can see that its been edited out. How did this end up on google though? Was it a programmer having fun?

This thing IS a fake, its not a missile, its an image of a plane, but the image has been made to look like a missile, they rubed out the wings and part of the tail. The wings are not painted darker, in the same colour and pattern of the ground below it. I don't even think it'd be legal to have a commercial plane camoflauged from the top.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
This thing IS a fake, its not a missile, its an image of a plane, but the image has been made to look like a missile, they rubed out the wings and part of the tail. The wings are not painted darker, in the same colour and pattern of the ground below it. I don't even think it'd be legal to have a commercial plane camoflauged from the top.

Don't forget that not all of America is dark grey...... and neither is all of the aircraft. It's hardly camouflage.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have to go with it being a plane as well because from what i can tell there are TWO vapor trails very close to each other, like a plane with the engines on the tail.. Lear Jet or something.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The faded text says "Google 2004" it's a copyright

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It is a plane. And I don't think the wings are camouflaged, it is just the way the picture came out. If it was camouflaged, the whole plane would be (kinda pointless just doing the wings!).

As IA pointed out, the scale is based on ground level, so unless you know the altitude, then you can't infer the size of the aircraft. That said, the fact that there are contrails coming off the aircraft indicates a minimum height it must be flying at (while you can get some contrails, or ectoplasm, at lower levels, this is usually only seen from fighter jets, or in high humidity environments, and the ecto doesn't persist like the trails in the photo in question). It depends on the time of year and location, but generally occurs when the outside air temp is about - 57 degrees Celcius, though humidity plays a part as well. For the nerds amongst you, an interesting Java applet allows you to simulate the effect of temp/humidity, and see contrails form.

Contrail simulator

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
that is diffently utah, i should know what my own state looks like

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Someone pointed out a Missile Silo.
Just to pour water on enthusiams again, I think you'll find it on top of a small hill near a town. It's probably a water tank.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yeah, just a plane. They show up all the time on GE and GM. Though it looks neat, and boy would it be cool to see a cruise missile on GE, it's nothing special.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856
As IA pointed out, the scale is based on ground level, so unless you know the altitude, then you can't infer the size of the aircraft.

I having a bit of a problem understanding this..
So it means that the all objects ASL would not be applicable to the distance key?
That kind've makes sense if the sighting is in the form of a solid cone and not a cylinder, but still..

Actually I have a more complicated question..
But first, at what altitude resolution is the highest available zoom?
That answer leads to the next complicated question

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3

Originally posted by Willard856
As IA pointed out, the scale is based on ground level, so unless you know the altitude, then you can't infer the size of the aircraft.

I having a bit of a problem understanding this..
So it means that the all objects ASL would not be applicable to the distance key?
That kind've makes sense if the sighting is in the form of a solid cone and not a cylinder, but still..

it is simple trigonomery - here a pretty picture should help

NB - the scale is LOCAL ground level ,

so if the satalite is 100km up - and the aircraft @ 10ooom - a 50m long A/C will cover FAR MORE than 50m of terrain @ the ground

and conversly - an A/C that covers 50m of ground is far smaller than 50m long

does that explain it ?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Ok cool.. just as I thought.. a sight cone..
Now here's the other Q:
When we zoom in or out, at least in Google Earth we get a resolution that corresponds to an ASL altitude(in miles when its very high up and in feet when its below 5 miles~).
So again what was the ASL altitude resolution at the highest viewable zoom selection at that google maps site for this plane?

I'll check it out on Google Earth when I get home..

Basically what I'm trying to say is our sighting altitude is altered with the zoom and so the sight cone dimensions should also change.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
My question is: Why would anyone color the plane wings in the google image?

A. For Fun?
B. Trying to Mislead?
C. Nothing Better to do?

I think coloring the Wings on the actual plane is out of the question as Nygdan pointed out...

I highly suspect someone altered the picture on purpose. Which brings another question: is Google earth reliable? is everything in it unaltered and true?

[edit on 3/5/2007 by a1ex]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Actualy, it would've been better if you actualy did the math before touting the math.

The size of an object at 10km high with the satelite at 100km while showing as 30m on the ground is about 27m

The smaller the object actualy is, the tighter the angle gets and the less the size miss representation gets.

If the object shows 50m on the ground, it'll actualy be 30m at 10km.
If the object shows as 10m on the ground, it'll actualy be 9m at 10km high.

Because the altitude of the satellite is so high the angle your working with it between 89.95° and 89.999° for objects between 10 and 200m long.

From what I can make out the object is 30m on the maps scale, so it would be 27m long at 10km altitude and anywhere between 27 and 30m between groundlevel and 10km altitude.

As long as we don't know the exact ground level of that area and don't know how high the plane would be flying and don't know how high the satelite actualy was, it could be small or big.

Not to mention, these images aren't all taken by satelite. A good deal of them are also taken by plane. So what then?

[edit on 5/3/07 by thematrix]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by Jimmy1880
This is a Tomahawk cruise missile, The US military test fires missiles all the time! Please tell me how you can measure how long the missile is when you have no idea how high it is flying???

Edit to add Pic

There is just one problem, it cannot be a missile. the one on google has a windshield on the nose.

That's because it's the Japanese Defense Force testing their new Kamikaze II Smart Bomb at a Utah testing facility.

Didn't you know? The Japanese still don't trust computers - they think they are only good for gaming.

This Cruise Missile surely has one brave pilot...

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
hey i've never posted here before but when i saw this thread i HAD to...i was flying to san francisco from the uk back in febraury 2003 and as i was somewhere in the vicinity of where this picture was taken when i saw a black missile possibly 6-8 feet long with black smoke coming out the end come up from under the plane and arc back down into the clouds...i've since spoke to high ranking british army and navy people and they seemed to think it was the americans that would have shot this. I didnt tell anyone about this for a long time because it sounds far fetched so i was suprised when these people believed me. anyones else heard of anything like this?

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
^^
Well it BETTER be the Americans firing something like this in their own backyard!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join