It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Secrets More Important than Truth of Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

CIA Secrets More Important than Truth of Torture

Source Link: www.msnbc.msn.com

RICHMOND, Va. - The danger that state secrets could be revealed outweighs a German man's claims that the CIA tortured him in an Afghan prison, a federal appeals court ruled Friday in refusing to reinstate his lawsuit.

The case centers on the CIA's "extraordinary rendition" program, in which terrorism suspects are captured and taken to foreign countries for interrogation. Human rights groups have heavily criticized the program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well no #. They don't want everyone to know they're torturing people in the first place, or that other governments beside our own are sponsoring and supporting torture.

The CIA has been from it's beginning a source of just absolute human rights violations.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of these people who were grabbed off the streets of other countries never return home.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Talk about a Catch-22! Yossarian would feel right at home.

It would compromise National Security to allow evidence to show that the CIA broke the laws of the US and compromised National Security.

The smug little weasels behind all this need to be put in their place once and for all. Trouble is, the people who try to do it either get their cases thrown out by collusive judges or just up and disappear all together.

Major Major has just ordered another twenty bombing missions.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Talk about a Catch-22! Yossarian would feel right at home.

It would compromise National Security to allow evidence to show that the CIA broke the laws of the US and compromised National Security.

The smug little weasels behind all this need to be put in their place once and for all. Trouble is, the people who try to do it either get their cases thrown out by collusive judges or just up and disappear all together.

Major Major has just ordered another twenty bombing missions.

can't prosecute anyone until it's all over.

the newsworthy victims will have their day in court to give the public a feeling that system does work,the others will be compensated discretly (settled out of court ).

parties who were directly involved and expendible will be hung out to dry very publicly and those who are behind the scenes or don't exist on paper will disappear, be promoted to different areas or retire to save their reputations and pensions.

of course all will be ordered not to say a word about anything not disclosed to the public.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Mistakes are common to humans. The most effective cover-up agency in the world, the CIA, can make mistakes too. Of course this german guy was at the wrong place at the wrong time, but what the hell was he doing tere, huh? Maybe the CIA prefers to be criticized for "picking" the wrong guy, but maybe the truth underneath is far worse. MAybe this guy has been brainwashed or something, to make his abduction look like a mistake, with the proper media covering to, as we say in France, "drown the fish" . Maybe the brainwashing has been done after crucial intel recovery about terrorists whereabouts, or something that kind. My way of seeing things is "look behind what's behind" . Maybe I'm just a crazy guy, but i don't care, I like to think differently. However, the CIA is always there, pulling the strings, and maybe I'll get a free plane ticket to Egypt or Jordan when my country turns paranoid like the USA. lol
Remember, the truth is the one you LIKE to believe in.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I disagree.

The truth stands alone, immutable. Exactly the same for all. It may not always be pretty, it may not always be fun, but it is always the same. It can be denied, obscured, and ridiculed, but it never goes away. At the end of the day, there it is, staring you in the face. In your final moments in the flesh, you are judged by it.

The truth is the sword of the spirit. There is no other way.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Truth within the CIA is top secret, no matter what abuses, violations of human rights, and/or laws including international laws.

Laws within the USA were created and established to prevent such abuses, yet the CIA can, and at times does operate without regard or fear of any laws. If a "suspect" is non-cooperative there are ways around the laws designed to protect that person. Take them to a foreign country, use interrogation techniques that include severe torture, and get what you can from that person.

It seems that the threat of terrorism and this war on terror are so dramatic and dangerous that some with ultimate power can and will abandon the most basic principles this country was founded on, all in the name of "security"

Too bad, because the reality is that we will never know the truth, or the extent of human rights abuses carried out by the CIA. This was only one case, only one allegation, perhaps only one that "got away" ... What about the ones we will never know of?

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This whole issue like many others that has been allowed to perform under the present administration and under secrecy because the fight on terror, brings the issues of the accountability.

So far is not accountability for mistakes or wrong doings.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
And that is the Catch-22, isn't it?

That the CIA, an agency of our federal government, under the rule of law, deems it necessary to break the very laws it is sworn to uphold in order to secure their pre-eminence.

I consider that a monumental moral mis-judgement, one that has dire, far-reaching implications for our entire system of government, and may eventually spell its downfall.

Democracy in action? More like hypocrisy in action.

top topics

join