It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help For Majour Project!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hello ATS'ers, schools all around Canada are in a big project involving Global Warming and its effects in The Arctic. They are nominating students to go do experiments in the Arctic, only a few will be chosen. My friend has been nominated for this and I feel very excited that she has. She has to write an essay telling what kind of experiments she would conduct if she were chosen. I really want to help her because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, literally. I have alreayd suggested a few she could write about, but who knows more about this kind of subject then our experts here on ATS!
So I am asking for your help. Could you kind folks please give me ideas on what type of experiments she could conduct if she were chosen to go to the arctic?
Thank you all very much in advance, I know you guys will come through.

-Jimmy-

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Okay, the EASIEST thing for her to do is a survey of a particular plant or animal. Amphibians are one of THE markers for environment change. She might pick one of the amphibians in the area and survey how many there are as a baseline:
www.carcnet.ca...

Plants may be easier to do:
www.speciesatrisk.gc.ca...

She could map them longitudinally (across a province or two in places where they were once very common) or latitudinally (from one spot going north.) Here's an example of a tally sheet for exotic (invasive) species that could be modified:
www.na.fs.fed.us...

I would pick a plant or animal that is dear to Canadian hearts and relatively easy to spot (like a tree) and isn't dangrous to approach (no polar bears.) I would also consult old records (for trees, historic logging records may show something) and temperature records and then add the new data to it.

She can work with a relatively small area, too (like a national forest.)

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
BTW, working out of a park is a good idea because the park rangers will have all sorts of data and they're very glad to chat with school kids.

I'm speaking from experience, here.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Thanks alot Byrd, those are great ideas! I mentioned it to her not long ago and she said she would've never thought of that. She is looking into it right now for what kinds of species (common) and plants (common) that are there.
Thanks again!

-Jimmy-

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Some suggestions for research direction:

1) The tree line. There has been some "movement" so to speak on this, and there are several areas in the north experiencing natural tree growth in the last 15 years or so, in some cases quite a bit north of the tree line. This could take a cataloguing approach or a pilot study for planting.

2) Permafrost chemical composition. This is going to be a bit of a decider in northern ecosystem, as there are many potential variables and a massive ecosystem involved. A sudden imbalance in groundwater PH, for example, will have widespread effects in areas wihtout tree cover.

This is currently a hot topic in Siberia, where there is a high methane component in the permafrost which is being released as it melts.

3) Soil erosion and winter snow cover.

4) Anything at all to do with mosquitoes, mosquito populations and the spread of disease. A valuable research project, but I would consider your friendship before suggesting it. Spending a summer west of Churchill covered in muskol scratching herself senseless and cursing the gods... she might not be all that keen to talk to you afterwards..

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Spending a summer west of Churchill covered in muskol scratching herself senseless and cursing the gods... she might not be all that keen to talk to you afterwards..

Yes, I know, but she really wants to do this, she is really excited.Anyways, thanks alot for your sugestions, I sent her an email with your suggestion and I am awaiting her reply. Thanks again,

-Jimmy-

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I just wanted to bring this thread back up because she is getting her results this week!! Everyone wish her luck!

-Jimmy-

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Luck to her! What did she go with?

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
She went with everything I told her (that you people told me lol). She can use more than one experiemnt. Today she got her first results, she is now in the top 10! She is going to open up a webportal so people can help her. I really hope she gets this, she deserves this.

-Jimmy-

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Is there any way she could go to look at ice core samples that have been taken?

Don't know where, but that is serious history - would like to see them my self.

top topics

join