It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea Reveals 'World's Best Tank'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

South Korea on Friday unveiled what it calls the world's best tank, capable of fording shallow rivers, defending itself against missiles and firing "smart" projectiles.

The XK2 Black Panther is a main battle tank of "the highest technical level all over the world," said its developer, the state-run Agency for Defence Development.
Key features include an active defence system against incoming missiles and aircraft, automatic tracking and ammunition loading systems, an active suspension unit and high underwater manoeuvrability.

Its armament includes a 120-mm smooth bore main gun which is automatically loaded and capable of firing up to 15 rounds per minute.
A unique system enables it to fire on the move and compensates for errors caused by bumpy terrain.
A special suspension unit enables the tank to "sit", "stand" and "kneel," allowing it to fire its main gun downhill.

Another key feature is Korean Smart Top-attack Munition rounds, which have their own guidance and obstacle-avoidance systems to hit hidden targets.
In another claimed world first, the agency said the tank -- using a special snorkel -- can manoeuvre quickly in up to 4.1 metres (13.5 feet) of water and is ready for combat immediately after it surfaces.

With three crew on board, the 55-tonne tank with a 1,500 horsepower engine has a road speed of more than 70 kilometres (44 miles) per hour and cross-country speed of more than 50 kph.

SOURCE:
Physorg.com

This was interesting to read about, and I thouth some others may
be interested in it as well.

South Korea is normally famous for it's high technology and robotics,
perhaps in the future it will becom known for it's high-tech weapons
as well.

Comments, Opinions?

[edit on 3/2/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
In my opinion, auto-loaders have never functioned effeciently.
Though, I've been out of the game for a while now.

As for the sit, stand and kneel aspect, the U.S. Army DEUCE has had this
from it's inception. Albeit, it's an earthmover, not a tank.
To fire down-hill, just rotate the turret over the side of the tank, then
point down.

As for all the gadgetry, just more to break at crucial moments.
They should have used the KISS rule.

Just my 2 cent,
Lex

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Impressive... an auto-cannon tank, that is (sort of) amphibious, and able to shoot downhill...

Should anybody (maybe) consider this as a threat? This is quite a mean tank.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Autoloaders have been around since the early '60's, meaning that they are way more reliable now.
If you'll look at the future tank projects (any country) you will see that most of them will have an autoloader. That raises up your rate of fire, and eleminates a 4th unneeded person in the tank.

French Leclerc (sp?) is one of the next gen tanks that has an autoloader.

Look at any of the old Russian tanks (even US) T-54 and up, they all had a snorkel option if I'm not mistaken.

Do you guys know if this is going to be build in SK, or does some other country have a contract on it ?

Best regards.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
While I will make no comment on the tank, I would like to comment on the Koreans calling it the "World's best tank". When I lived there I was frequently told things like Koreans invented the computer, football and lets not forget that Kimchi cures bird flu. It's nice that they believe there own hype.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Would be interesting to the a picture but I think we already have one. Basically it's a Korean version of the French LeClerc, so not so much of a "world first" as the koreans like to claim.

Two things should be remembered:
1. South korea has generally excellent military tech both imported and adapted/indigenous.
2. South Korean government has an alturnative understanding of the term "history" and consequently believes that everything was invented in Korea. I joke, but there is some truth to that. Iran has a similar tendency to claim ownership of imported military technology so they are not alone.

Turkey is also buying a variant of LeClerc again claimed to be Turkish rather than French. The Korean version:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
IMHO , the south korean " hype " over this being the " worlds best " is simply them moving the goal post till " best " exactly matches the ROK requirement

like the isrealis with the mekerva , the ROK is in miliary terms a " one trick pony " - all they need a tank for is to defend against incursion from the north - they hare not planning to invade anywhere else or do anything else - just defend / conter attack iff nessecarry

i suspect its range , portability etc will have taken a back seat

as for the autoloader - i suspect it will work , it is the NEWEST autoloader unvieled - autoloaders are attractive to people lke ROK because a 25% reduction in tankers numbers , does make a difference when every pair of boots in the army counts

i was reliably informed that the IDF rejected an autoloader for mekerva - only because IMI couldnt meet the reliability targets

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
what 'was' the worlds best challanger2? (i don't know much about tanks).

i just remember watching this documentry agers ago (1/2 years ago) on discovery talking about the challenger2 - saying how that tank is the most advanced in the world and talking about its armour and stuff.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I vote Jordanian funded Falcon-II/III turret on Challenger-I chassis. search Falcon Jordan etc for threads on it. Awesome and conceptually very advanced.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Link to Video

Heres the video of it. Don't know the Korean language but I'm sure you know that button that has the number 300 on it.

mod edit: cut down length of link to correct page width

[edit on 4-3-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Note, internet research suggests that the Leclerc link isn't as much as appears. Can someonre confirm?

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Its armament includes a 120-mm smooth bore main gun which is automatically loaded and capable of firing up to 15 rounds per minute.

Autoloader problems aside, I would love to see any barrel sustain 15 RPM for any length of time without buggering up.

EDIT: To add, the AS-90 in the British Army can do 11 RPM, but only sustain this for 30 seconds at a time or so before barrel damage becomes a problem.

A unique system enables it to fire on the move and compensates for errors caused by bumpy terrain.

Eh? The Chally and Abrams (plus any other western tank) has this as standard and has done for years. Are the Korean's claiming they've invented computerised fire control?

Now, can the new SK tank do this?

The History Channel's show Heavy Metal documented the Challenger 2's ability to brew tea for the crew from inside the tank. The tank contains a boiler for water which can be used to produce hot beverages and heat 'boil-in-the-bag' meals contained in ration packs. (Every British tank since the Centurion has this ability to heat water.)

It's not a proper tank unless the crew can have a cup of tea, whilst being pummeled.

I say this as a Chally 2 stood up to mulitple RPG's, a Milan ATGM and small round fire for several hours in Iraq without sustaining any damage other than the sighting system. All whilst the crew sat inside and chilled out with a brew.

[edit on 3/3/07 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
According to Vickers and the MOD the Braveheart AS-90 uses:

An automated loading system enables the gun to fire with a burst rate of 3 rounds in under 10 seconds, an intense rate of 6 rounds per minute in three minutes and a sustained rate of 2 rounds per minute.

Here's a link: www.army-technology.com... that explains it in greater detail.

Auto loaders in my opinion, only manage to increase the rate of fire. Ammunition is usually loaded before combat operations commence and I guess that veh comms must take in to account what their mission is for the actual loadout of types of shells - i.e: Do I laod more for anti-tank [main role of a tank] or concentrate on HE/HESH for infantry support?

What about the bag charges? How do they fit it? I've always wanted to know that!

top topics

join