It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Of 4, A Brother And Sister Are Trying To Overturn Incest Laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Parents Of 4, A Brother And Sister Are Trying To Overturn Incest Laws

Source Link: www.expatica.com

Germany's top court said Friday it was ordering a delay in the punishment of a man who has fathered four children by his sister, and judges are to consider whether the ban on incest is legal.

S lives with his sister, Susan K, 22, in the city of Leipzig. They have had four daughters, two of whom are handicapped, though prosecutors have not been able to prove that the handicaps were caused by the genetic abnormalities often associated with incest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I just don't get it. The article states that 2 of the 4 children are handicapped. The article also states that it hasn't been determined if the incest is a factor in the handicaps. Law of averages seems to say, to me at least, that it does play a factor.

You know it has to be hard for children who have gay parents to deal with it, but to have a brother and sister as mom and dad?
Jeez, as I said, I just don't get it.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
It'd be facile to show if they were handicapped because of incest, merely test for the known markers of the handicapp, if they have two, then they got them from the mother and the father.

That is the problme with incest (well, there's lots of problems with it, but thats from the genetic point of view). An individual may have an allele that could produce a defect, but its a rare and recessive allele. By reproducing within their family, the chances of both of them passing on that rare, recessive allele are greatly increased, incredibly increased. Indeed, there'd by lots of alleles that are 'defective' but harmless outside of a double dose, that you'd've a much greater chance of passing on by reproducing inside the family, let alone your own sister/brother!

In the end, it doesn't matter IF these particular kids have a genetically programmed handicap, because eventually, you will end up with such a problem. Even if it didn't happen in this case, if you let this sort of thing be legal, it will happen before long, and probably with great frequency.

join