It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do animals have souls?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This topic was brought up in a different user group and thought it would be interesting to ask on ATS.

Do animals have souls? What support is there that they do from a religious perspective (quote your scripture if you need to) or debate why they have no souls.

For humans, it is suggested that we have an eternal soul that is to be judged, yet for all practical purposes animals are under the same hardships in this world as a human is under, yet they did not eat of the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden, so why would they possess a spirit needing to be judged.

Furthermore, if their spirits are not judged, yet animals are guilty of doing the many things that humans do, why are we judged??

Ultimately, this is my point of view that the soul is eventually tried and judged from a spiritual perspective and I realize some of you are athiests so whatever point of view you can add, it would be interesting to hear.

Mainly though I would like people to reconcile whether animals are judged like humans yet did not commit the original sin.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Yes, I believe animals have souls. I'm not religious so I don't think it has anything to do with being judged. I believe it's the center, the essence of a living, sentient being. Cara (above) IS a soul. What we see is that soul's body. What makes her learn tricks and love walks is that soul's mind.

I believe tha same about myself. Although I don't do tricks.

We are all animals. And we all have souls.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Benevolent Heretic, you are to be a vegan.

And Benny Boy, please .... open your mind.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Do you have a soul? If you think you do, then why dosen't an animal?
I believe animals do have sould. I mean, if evolution is corect, we were once animals, weren't we? Human beings tend to question everything. You know the old saying,"There's no such thing as a stupid question"? Well, there is.lol Why is it hard to believe earth isn't the only planet with intelligence? If you believe that there is ET'S. Then it shouldn't be hard to believe that another animal on our planet has a soul.. Everything does.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Do animals have souls?

I say yes, i'd like to think so. but, "god's will be done" ....

If i get to heaven and hear that there are no birds chirping or singing, i'll know i'm not home yet.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
ben91069, great post. I believe that not only do animals have souls, but plants as well.

No matter whether it is a plant on the balcony reflecting sunlight, or an ant building a small hill, or a pet dog wanting to lick your face, all life forms have souls.

All life forms are destined for eternal life!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Yes, I believe animals have souls. I'm not religious so I don't think it has anything to do with being judged. I believe it's the center, the essence of a living, sentient being. Cara (above) IS a soul. What we see is that soul's body. What makes her learn tricks and love walks is that soul's mind.

I believe tha same about myself. Although I don't do tricks.

We are all animals. And we all have souls.

With this, I have to ask you, how do you know that some beings or lifeforms are not just animate objects, like robots following a programmed code with no actual conscience at all. I mean, humans have created robots that can be convincing enough to look real and express what we view as mimmicking real emotion, but we all know machines cannot experience reality at all.

What I am saying is how do you know that animals are not just biological machines with no soul at all?? Being empathetic to a physical thing doesn't prove that it experiences life at all. Maybe some humans are in fact not really born with souls but similar to extras on a movie set.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadSeason313
Do you have a soul? If you think you do, then why dosen't an animal?
I believe animals do have sould. I mean, if evolution is corect, we were once animals, weren't we? Human beings tend to question everything. You know the old saying,"There's no such thing as a stupid question"? Well, there is.lol Why is it hard to believe earth isn't the only planet with intelligence? If you believe that there is ET'S. Then it shouldn't be hard to believe that another animal on our planet has a soul.. Everything does.

This is the point. I am me because I experience the world through me. There is no evidence that presents itself without a doubt that you or an animal is experiencing life if you are just running on a program. This also means, you cannot prove that I have a soul, because to you I am a seperate entity than yourself.

What I am getting at is if there is any evidence that shows a distinct seperation in some manner of how animals are different than humans or alike. The likes seem pretty obvious so why does religion pick on humans if animals are just like us?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
ben91069, great post. I believe that not only do animals have souls, but plants as well.

No matter whether it is a plant on the balcony reflecting sunlight, or an ant building a small hill, or a pet dog wanting to lick your face, all life forms have souls.

All life forms are destined for eternal life!!!

Thats another good point. It may just be that everything "knows" and experiences reality. Just because we have bodies made of organic matter like an animal does not mean that inorganic matter is dead.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
i believe anything that is living has a soul.

i also believe some animals are more wise thanmost people i have respect for animals not humanity.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The way I see it, if mankind can create AI (artificial intelligence) and robots, or audo animitronics (as Disney calls them), then is it possible that a portion of the world, including humans and animals may just be matrix like intentities with no soul whatsoever but just actors on a stage.

Is there any thoughts on this from ancient writings modern writings etc.??

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
i used to think animals didnt have souls.

but then i realized my interpretation of a soul was off; i was hyping it up too much, giving the soul too much individuality.

then when one of my dogs had to be put to sleep recently and i felt compelled to say a prayer for him before he had to be put to sleep (stroke) I changed my mind.

because the soul isn't quite what we like to think sometimes. we like to think we have total control over our own soul, that we OWN it.. like it is US.

God owns it.. and you

and it is his, and goes back to him, and thus .. all living things have this "soul" which is a 'spark' of God .. God's essence, which animates, which keeps the heart in steady rhythm. when we die, we dont get to make all the decisions regarding our souls .. those belong to God.

top topics

join