It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama - A new twist to an intriguing family history

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

All it will take is one reporter asking Obama at a news conference or interview whether he favors reparations or not and Obama will be stuck in a bad position with no escape. If he says no blacks will turn on him and if he says yes all the other races will turn on him.

What makes you think that all blacks are for reparations and all other races "aren't"?? Do you speak for everyone who isn't black? I think not.
By the way, I have several black friends who think the idea of reparations are silly - however they do prefer that the playing field is leveled so black people arent so disproportionately undereducated and living on the lower edge of society - this I agree with 100%.

On the other side of the coin, I have many white friends that believe reparations are a fair way to compensate for the use of slave labor to build wealth in families that exist to this very day here.

I honestly dont know where I stand on the position of reparations as there are many aspects to the debate to consider. something must be done however to heal the wounds that are still around from before the civil rights movement.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

If you're here to circle the demo wagons, this time in defense of Obama, you can stand down. This thread isn't an attack on Obama. It's about the strange position this strange news may put his candidacy in.

Fair enough, I will not treat it as such. I still fail to realize how this is going to affect him a whole lot more than the media and some people make it out to be. I will admit it is a unique situation, however Obama is a unique man and I for one would love to see him become the first "black" president - even if he is half white.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun

How exactly will this put the finishing touches on his run for presidency? Please enlighten us with your logic on this.

Sorry, I gotta go. For the answer to your question, you'll just have to read or re-read this thread.

Oh, and there might be another new thread that Gore will need your help on. Seems he must have listened after all to all the complaints about him contributing to global warming himself with all those private jet flights. So he decided to go commercial. But unfortunately, he still couldn't shake his elitist lifestyle, and got caught trying to bypass the airport security we all have to deal with. Al, Al, Al. Whatever are we going to do with you?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
anything but al gore.....al sharpton, ralph nader....hell ill even vote for "bill"ary before gore

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by lady_mezuza
How could someone not vote for him?

Because his resume is empty. He's not qualified. He meets 'requirements' as stated in the Constitution .. but his empty resume says that he's not qualified. that's how somoene could not vote for him.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Sorry, I gotta go. For the answer to your question, you'll just have to read or re-read this thread.

Oh, and there might be another new thread that Gore will need your help on. Seems he must have listened after all to all the complaints about him contributing to global warming himself with all those private jet flights. So he decided to go commercial. But unfortunately, he still couldn't shake his elitist lifestyle, and got caught trying to bypass the airport security we all have to deal with. Al, Al, Al. Whatever are we going to do with you?

Funny thing, I have read and read this thread and I still dont have an answer. Care to enlighten us?

Are you trying to derail your own thread? Why bring Gore into this, what does he have to do with Obama?!?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Are you trying to derail your own thread? Why bring Gore into this, what does he have to do with Obama?!?

Of course not. I just know how much Gore means to you, and thought you would want to know.

Gore and Obama, well with all the misteps, Obama's campaign sure is starting to resemble Gore's 2000 campaign more than anyone else's.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Turns out Obama's mother's ancestors were slave owners.

And my ancestors were also... a fact I didn't know until a few years ago. One of Colin Powell's trusted aides (a general that I know personally) was the descendant of the largest slave-owning family in the South. There's no evidence that this aide is prejudiced (he and Powell were quite close and I know he visited Powell's house for dinner a number of times.)

This will probaly put the finishing touches on Obama's presidential campaign, as opponents will have a field day with this kind of info.

I don't think I'd advise them to try that tacitc. It'll make them look petty if that's the only problem they can find with Obama. They'd do better to focus on his issues.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

By the way, I have several black friends who think the idea of reparations are silly - however they do prefer that the playing field is leveled so black people arent so disproportionately undereducated and living on the lower edge of society - this I agree with 100%.

Undereducated? Any black person can get a college education for practically free in the US today. If they are undereducated, it is by choice.

On the other side of the coin, I have many white friends that believe reparations are a fair way to compensate for the use of slave labor to build wealth in families that exist to this very day here.

Well, if there are instances where wealth exists today from a cotton farm 160 years ago, then it's due more to good money management than anything else. Cotton fields are not in the same class as oil fields.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone

Originally posted by lady_mezuza
I am beginning to like this guy more and more. He's white and black and multicultural. How could someone not vote for him?

Of all the stupid things I've ever read here, you have to be kidding right? "He's black, he's white," he's QUALIFIED? It's like saying, "I'm voting for Hil because she's a woman." It's like saying, "I'm voting for him because he has a penis." Don't you see how ridiculous these reasons are? And how THE SAME they are? Flat stupid, it is...I can't believe this!

Well my whole family voted for him. He is doing an excellent job is he not?

I was going to vote for Hilary though because it would have been awesome to have the first woman president, but Obama got chosen instead. Maybe Hilary can get chosen next time.

I don't get why you think my reasoning is stupid though. I know a lot more about why I vote than a lot of people do.

And most of the country voted for him because he is president now so they knew what they were doing.

I am opposed to reparations though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join