It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama - A new twist to an intriguing family history

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Obama - A new twist to an intriguing family history

Source Link: www.baltimoresun.com

Many people know that Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's father was from Kenya and his mother from Kansas.

But an intriguing sliver of his family history has received almost no attention until now: It appears that forebears of his white mother owned slaves, according to genealogical research and census records.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Turns out Obama's mother's ancestors were slave owners.

Does this mean Obama will have to apologize for slavery to his fellow african-americans (like the state of Virginia just did) because his family once owned slaves in the past? Can you imagine the surreal scene if he were to do so?

The only good that can come from this IMO is that it might make people finally realize how stupid it is for today's people to have to apologize for (or pay for
) what people did over 150 years ago.

This will probaly put the finishing touches on Obama's presidential campaign, as opponents will have a field day with this kind of info.

[edit on 3/2/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
LOL, whould he have to pay himself reparations? hahaha...

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Because his anscentors 150 years ago plus were involved you think there will be a field day?

George bush snr was head of the CIA nad his father was involved with financing and funding most of the Nazi war drive, thats the current presidents grandfather, we aint talking about hundreeds of years ago here but in living memory, he obviously rigged an election with the help of his brother and he is reelected. You seriously believe this will matter in light of this?

Im afraid my opinion is that most voters in most countries are a little unsophisticated in their reseach and understandings of the political candidates, the person with the most links to Big Business and money and whoever Rupert Murdoch wants to be in will get in.

Regards

elf.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I don't like Obama as a Presidential candidate, but this is just over the top meaningless drivel meant to tar him in some way. The heritage of his mother has absolutely nothing to do with him.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

This will probaly put the finishing touches on Obama's presidential campaign, as opponents will have a field day with this kind of info.

A field day?
Keep dreaming. This is such a non-issue it's hilarious. It's almost as much of a non-issue as the Gore and Bush energy consumption propaganda pieces.

LOL, whould he have to pay himself reparations? hahaha...

No because he isn't descendant from slaves. According to some Black Racist on the Colbert Report, he isn't even Black. Because, get this logic, he isn't decended from slaves. :shk:

Here is the segment here.

www.jwharrison.com...

[edit on 2-3-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I am beginning to like this guy more and more. He's white and black and multicultural. How could someone not vote for him?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
i think i might vote for him myself you know what else is a trip al sharpton is related to strong thurman (jim crow laws) lol who knows maybe americas just too small

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I don't like Obama as a Presidential candidate, but this is just over the top meaningless drivel meant to tar him in some way. The heritage of his mother has absolutely nothing to do with him.

Sorry, but I have to (respectfully) disagree.

And why would the Baltimore Sun be trying to "tar" him?

All it will take is one reporter asking Obama at a news conference or interview whether he favors reparations or not and Obama will be stuck in a bad position with no escape. If he says no blacks will turn on him and if he says yes all the other races will turn on him. I would say he needs a broad consensus of people from all races if he even hopes to become the democrat candidate for president , let alone win the election.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
i think i might vote for him myself you know what else is a trip al sharpton is related to strong thurman (jim crow laws) lol who knows maybe americas just too small

I believe Sharpton's ancestors were slaves 'owned' by Thurman's ancestors. This doesn't make them blood related. I don't even know who these guys actually are but I knew that much lol.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
the governor from here bill richardson (D-new mexico) or as we call him rill bichardson is half hispanic do you think hell run into the same problem with his pro-border control stance from the hispanic community in '08?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
shar chi.........you hit the nail on the head thats exactly how it happened slave owner slept with a slave it should still be one of the top stories on www.genealogy.com...

[edit on 2-3-2007 by justanothergangster]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Obama rhymes with Osama, no one will vote for him.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I don't agree with you often but you just took the words out of my mouth.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

I don't agree with you often but you just took the words out of my mouth.

If you're here to circle the demo wagons, this time in defense of Obama, you can stand down. This thread isn't an attack on Obama. It's about the strange position this strange news may put his candidacy in.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

What's the big deal here? The very same could be said about many other African Americans.

Who would those opponents be; Hillary and other Democrats? it sure as all get out will not be republicans they know better then to bring up issues regarding slavery it would kill their chances in the eyes of other African Americans.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by lady_mezuza
I am beginning to like this guy more and more. He's white and black and multicultural. How could someone not vote for him?

Of all the stupid things I've ever read here, you have to be kidding right? "He's black, he's white," he's QUALIFIED? It's like saying, "I'm voting for Hil because she's a woman." It's like saying, "I'm voting for him because he has a penis." Don't you see how ridiculous these reasons are? And how THE SAME they are? Flat stupid, it is...I can't believe this!

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well, I'm voting for Mitt Romney because he has a good head of hair.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Does this mean Obama will have to apologize for slavery to his fellow african-americans (like the state of Virginia just did) because his family once owned slaves in the past? Can you imagine the surreal scene if he were to do so?

The only good that can come from this IMO is that it might make people finally realize how stupid it is for today's people to have to apologize for (or pay for
) what people did over 150 years ago.

[edit on 3/2/2007 by centurion1211]

Slavery ended a 150 years ago yes, but institutionalized racism was alive and well until the late 60's. The african american population of this country lives disproportionately in a lower class then the rest of us to this very day and will continue to do so until steps are taken to truly level the playing field and undo the damage we have done - for this, yes we do owe them a huge apology.

How exactly will this put the finishing touches on his run for presidency? Please enlighten us with your logic on this.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Well said! I disagree with a great number of views on here with you, but I think your above statement is spot on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join