It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hydraulic valve lifters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Anyone know how to get rid of this annoying noise in idle, my car sounds like a diesel engine.

Volvo v40 GDI 1.8l Otto

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Replacing the valves is they only proper way to get rid of the noise. I have a KA24E in my 240sx and it has hydro lifters too. Using a thicker oil or a friction modifier like Lucas Oil Stabilizer helps but it's like putting a band-aid on a compound fracture.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bicnarok

Volvo v40 GDI 1.8l Otto

I had a weird friend who would fight you if you said a bad word against Volvo, but I remember working on some of his stuff and didn't some older (80's) Volvo 4 cylinders have solid lifters and adjustable valves??

If this isn't your case, is their a high pressure oil pump available to boost pressure at idle?

Why would your valvetrain make noise with hydraulic lifters if it is lashed at zero unless the lifters bleed off quickly??

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   
The engine was developed together with Mitsubishi and is also present in the Mitsubishi carisma.
Done a bit of surfing on the subject. Apparently the hole where the oil comes through in the engine is too big so the oil pressure isn´t sufficient in idle.

volvo replaced the valve lifters and the noise went away for a while, they said its normal with this engine, it doen´t sound normal.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If it is a solid tappet motor one of the problems is that oil companys have been taking zinc out of the oil because it decreases the life of catylitic converters,try adding Lucas Zinc break in oil might help quiet it down,I found out myself

top topics

join