It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China demands US cancel planned missile sale to Taiwan

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
and nato would get involved since we are....especially if china was the aggressor but it is true the morale is way too low for us to go to another war

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
And what would the rest of the world think of china if they attacked lil ole taiwan? The US could be the hero in any event. Either way it wont stop our obligation to protect taiwan from mainland chinese agression. Japan as well as australia would also be in on this conflict. So its hardly exclusively americas fight.

[edit on 063131p://2403pm by semperfoo]

Actually, I dont think the rest of the World would give a # really - Look at Tianemen Square? It soon blew over, the world soon forgot.

Yes, they would scream and yell and call for sanctions and the UN to intervene, but really it would all come down to selling imports to China - something they would not give up.

As for the nuclear option, it wont happen. There is no way the US will launch Nuclear weapons against China over Taiwan.

EDIT: NATO would NOT get involved as Taiwan is NOT a NATO country.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by Wotan]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
but like i said the US is theres canadian troops in iraq and afghanistan right now same with britain they invade who we invade and if china attacked taiwan youd be surprised who might get involved ....we can start a new goverment in china to pick up where they left off remember the cia is crooked

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
however the us goverment says that china doesnt have a single aircraft carrier googlesightseeing.com...,121.013975&z=17
Google Sightseeing » Map that looks like a single aircraft carrier to me we do heavily underestimate chinas military

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
If the US want to pick a fight with China or vice versus over Taiwan, there is no hope in hell of British frontline troops getting involved.

The British people are sick to death of Tony Blair's Labour Government 'meddling overseas' with our troops. It would be political suicide for the Labour Party.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
the chines stop production of their nuclear sub fleet www.washingtontimes.com...

So we owe them some money and now they start demanding?

Any one else noticed all of the new technology being released by the Chinese lately? Ummm new fighter jets, satellite destroying technology, missles that fly at super sonic speeds, submarines, build up of their navy, and the list goes on and on?? No wonder we want missiles in the hands of the Taiwanese.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by perfectdeception]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The American peope would not support another war in the Middle-East,
however if China tryed to invade or took military action against Taiwan,
great many people would support it, as most people would see it as big
bad Communist China invading a small free democratic state.

As it is Taiwan could actually fight off and air and/or sea attack
themselves, considering China's military is not exactly up to date.

As has been said, America would defend Taiwan, Australia would most
likely, and Japan would definately, considering it would give them a
chance to fight China.

As for a nuclear exchange, well I'm not really sure, I would'nt say we
would'nt especially if China started using non-conventional techniques.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
Google Sightseeing » Map that looks like a single aircraft carrier to me we do heavily underestimate chinas military

Yeah a land locked carrier sure is under estimating them. NOT

It really would not matter what they had when you consider that we are bound by treaty to protect Taiwan.

[edit on 3/2/2007 by shots]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I am pretty sure semperfoo forgot an L somewhere. Just goofing but seriously, I love the fact that I live in the only true superpower nation of our time but as an educate critical-thinking American I am beginning to see our undoing.

It is foolish for Americans to think that our demise is not going to occur during our lifetime if some serious changes to American foreign policy don't happen quick.

To think that it is a given that we could handle China militarily is foolish. First of all, they are the ONLY country with remote capability to destroy our satellites, which would reduce our military to less that WW2 capabilities as we are so reliant on satellites.

Take a look at Iraq, our conventional military isn't being bested due to lack of trying. Though, I would assume that if we did have an armed conflict with China, our military would demand that we had an actual plan for victory (unlike Iraq).

Also, I think a lot of Americans assume that we have this super high-tech arsenal that is under wraps only to be revealed if we were to face a serious threat like China. The truth is that a great many if not most of our weapon systems are actually manufactured in china.

And I wouldn't count on a bunch of secret weapons that I think most people think we have because of how much the US spends on the military. The reality is that the government is just giving away money to the rich folks here and know that they don't have to account for it if the money is earmarked for a secret weapons contract. I am about to go out but maybe later I will look for a GAO report on how many weapons contracts actually never produce a final product.

Read and analyze history, super powers don't last forever and the signs of a falling empire are far more evident and dev3eloping far more rapidly than any other super power I can think of off hand in history. As a people we need to demand more from our leaders and stop letting then enrich themselves at our expense and security.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the US plans to leave in 2012. We all know this is the end of the world and we're sticking it out in S korea till the end!

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by perfectdeception
the chines stop production of their nuclear sub fleet www.washingtontimes.com...

So we owe them some money and now they start demanding?

Ask yourself when did the Chinese build-up start. The ask yourself what would you do in that position. We (The USA) just pretty much gave the thumbs up to Nuclear armed Pakistan and India, we have bases in Turkey, you have Israelis with Nuclear capable subs roaming around the sea,we supply Israel, Egypt as well as Saudi Arabia with free arms (Not sure about Jordan) , we have bases in Japan, The Phillipines and God knows where else in the Pacific, we are in Afghanistan and just built a 9billion dollar palace/embassy in Iraq. Would you sit idly by while all this is going on around you, PLUS now we are arming their southern neighbors. If we expect others to stand down then we should do a little standing down ourselves.

As far as our owing them money , well yes if we want a business relationship then we should be about business. All this posturing is not business. At this point we should be working on our trade and public image building again and not mess with this war crap any more. The defense industry is not going to pay our bills and get us out of this debt we are in. Its trade that will make the real money. Just look at China as an example of that.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
We are positioning ourselves for (ultimately) the invasion of china...

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

If we expect others to stand down then we should do a little standing down ourselves.

I don't dispute anything you say. My only remark was that how can China demand that we not sale weapons to our allies(for their protection and ours) all while mass producing nuclear subs?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gopher mines
We are positioning ourselves for (ultimately) the invasion of china...

I sure as hell dont want to be in on that invasion.People think that Iraq is bad? OMG...invading China would make Iraq look like a bad work day. Fighting asians is very different than fighting middle easterners. Not to mention the BILLIONS of people that are there. Even the best armed army and marines would find invading china a very tough job.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by perfectdeception

I don't dispute anything you say. My only remark was that how can China demand that we not sale weapons to our allies(for their protection and ours) all while mass producing nuclear subs?

Did you see the latest news on the newest design for Nukes we will be implementing? We were supposed to work on dismantling and making less of this garbage and it seems like we are making newer and more powerful weapons. We are going backwards lately rather then forward. All those years working on detente and here it is we have more nations working towards nuclear capability then ever before and not just superpowers...third world nations. Seems like it was all wasted time after just a few years of this administration.

If we are going to be the world police then we need to set an example. Double standards aren't cutting it anymore

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Did you see the latest news on the newest design for Nukes we will be implementing?

I didnt, do you have a link? I think we are being forced to some degree to be the world police.

Here is something to consider though. We are the kings of the hill and everyone is trying to knock us off that hill. Shouldnt we do everything to stay on top?

I mean the alternative is something similar to what Rome, Greece, Russia have all gone through. I kinda like living in the society
thats on top and I want to be protected.

Diplomacy does not work when dealing with mad men. Although GWB is sounding more and more like one lately..

Its all so madening, and all we the SHEEPLE can do is sit and watch..

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
but we keep getting off on the subject of fighting china....is china scared of taiwan having these missileswhat threat could taiwan possibly pose to china its not like taiwan will invade them so.......

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The new nukes are real try a google.The situation gets more likely to produce a nuclear wart every twist of the screw these days.
Why do the states cry foul when the missles are gonna be aimed at them and whine about disarmament and keep building bigger and better weapons when the rest of the world would be happy with the status quo.?
I believe it is a defective gene that pollution created in yankees that keeps the worshipping war and mayhem.
The missles that taiwan gets are not only destabilizing the area but a direct provocation to bejiing to get on with taking back quemoy and mastsu.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
yes but its taiwans right as a sovriegn nation to arm itself and if china invades then taiwan was justified in its actions of arming itself and if china doesnt want them to have the missiles that shows that china may be planning to invade taiwan its kinda like a they can risk it with no missiles or they can risk provoking china to invade.....but china invading taiwan is still breaking international treaties.....selling weapons to taiwan isnt

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Why is it that everyone who is anti-nuke (and I am myself) seems to
not get this one fact.

We are dismantling our nuclear weapons.
However, we are keeping some and the ones we have are old, and
prone to accidents.
The nuclear warhead designs created today are or safer, more efficient
and less environmentally detrimental bombs.

The fact is, nuclear warheads will always exist, be that as an ultimate
military weapon, or for planetary defence, like asteroids and such.

Alright, sorry for going off topic, but it needed to be said, so more leftists
misinformation(and considering I am leftist, that's saying something)
is'nt spread to susceptible minds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join