It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will-o-the-Wisp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Will-o-the-Wisp is ghostly fire that is seen, or glowing little lights that are supposedly ghostly, right? I think this somewhat fits into paranormal disscusions, right? Colors of Will-o-the-Wisp are:

Green
Red
Blue-White

...and they resemble orbs, I think. I saw this one picture on Wikipedia of Will-o-the-Wisp. It was green and over a lake.

What do you guys think of Will-o-the-Wisp?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Will-o-the-wisp ah is that the one you are not meant to follow? as it gets you lost?

Be interesting to look in to this

FudgeStix-lol i loved that as a kid,

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Yeah, he-he. Very funny. Now are ya gonna tell him some info or are ya not?

(Sorry for using the term gay, but, that was partially unnessesary)

[edit on 5-3-2007 by Dragonoligist Zac]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Well,well. These things can sometimes be confusing.Usually because there
is so many different versions or studies on so many different creatures or entities,that sometimes different stories can cross.

Now as far as Will o Wisps are concerned I can say this....

There can be alot of speculation on where the name originated, Will O Wisp, or Will of the wisp may have came from the term willow wisp.

Much of it depends on which story youve heard or which study you follow.

Here is one story.

There is in my travels a story I once heard where a beautiful women who was being lied to by a man she was in love with(he was having an affair on his wife).When the man was found out by his wife he called the woman a witch. The word of this spread and soon the woman was taken deep
in the forest and tied to a tree and stoned to death.

This act of betrayal and deception angered the spirits of the earth and
forest.The womans spirit battered and in dispair left her body and entered the tree to which she had been tied.Not thinking anything of it the townsfolk left the site taking the remains of the maiden with them.

Now the maidens spirit was sad and her spirit wept for her broken heart and she hated the man whom had used her and destroyed her heart.

so the tree began to weep,and weep and weep,over time a great and deep pond grew around the tree,and it became known to few as the great weeping willow. As the tree wept it is said that she started to change and turn into a dryad (a human/tree.hybrid).

Soon the deep pond became a safe heaven for all forest folk and creatures.The Sad dryad kept a close watch over her forest. .

Never forgetting what had happened to her, the dryad hated human kind and had suffered them first hand,For this she would forever have them suffer by her hand rather then have anything innocent in her forest be ruined by them.

Okay this is where it gets a little separated in things.

It is said that villagers would often hear this women singing in the woods,accompanied by guiding lights.which guide them to the dryads water(pond,lake,river)to drown. Or they would hear a woman singing or crying and go looking for her. sometimes flashes can be seen further and further into the woods. The person or people would be lured into the woods where they would get lost

Some say the lights themselves are singing and are little faeraes,whom in this case are helpers who try to lure the men to the dryad with the song of seduction,or something similar..

Aswell the story of the witch/dryad can differ.

Sometimes it will be children being lured away,In this story it is usually a woman searching for her lost children whom dies near the tree weeping and is searching for them still.

drunken men whom are walking home from the pub/bar whatever.

Also there are other stories that are totallydifferent from this tale.

aswell simply early explainations for fireflys LOL

[edit on 6-3-2007 by toraylin]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I have to admit, that could be an explanation.

As far as I'm concerened, Will-o-the-Wisp could be supernatural.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I thought that was somthing made up for the game "Elder Scrolls"

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Will o' the Wisp, AKA... FOXFIRE! My friend OkamiZaku made a thread based on it.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
will o the wisps are nothing more than swamp gases and fox fires... nothing para normal about it unless you like ghost stories.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
aka Ignis Fatuus

June Bletzer generally describes it as any mysterious activity the lures people; an etheric world entity who leads travelers astray, it's also commonly seen in grave yards.

[edit on 14-6-2007 by Amelie]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
toraylin Good explanation, I have never heard that version. I have only read that the wisp lures unsuspecting victims to only be lost and never come back.
But that story makes it make more sense.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
will o the wisps are nothing more than swamp gases and fox fires... nothing para normal about it unless you like ghost stories.

Ah, I have to disagree with that! Will-o-the-Wisp and Foxfire is lights that are caused by moisture and foxfire is just a term for Biolumesence, but, it is also a parnormal suubject, too! They are often involved with some ghosts and other things!

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
One of the best recorded cases of Will O Wisp
a thread of my own...from right where I live
in 1845 for a Year every Night They appeared.
Seemed Intelligent. Played games like follow the leader.
They were witnessed by hundreds of people.
Very credible case.
cheers
www.abovetopsecret.com...

use this link to hear the audio report on the CBC.
archives.cbc.ca...

[edit on 21-6-2007 by junglelord]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I agree with you, Missingno.! Will o' the Wisps and Foxfires aren't just swamp gases, they are something paranormal as well! junglelord, that's pretty cool too.

top topics

join