It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A ban on the N-word?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
"Considered by many Americans to be the most offensive word in the English language."

...... Really? Most people think the N word is more offensive than the F word?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly with anxietydisorder. It's ridiculous that people can say "N-word" instead of "'n-word'" and some how come out looking proper and non-bigoted when they mean precisely the same thing. "Banning" a word yet attaching no penalty, not that I think it should be penalized, is just a waste of time and adds "taboo" and "mystique." If somebody wants to try to demean somebody else by using words, let them, and let society judge that person accordingly by its own mores and standards.

As a member of a group that is the majority (heterosexual WASP) it's different for us to care or even take notice when people call us names based on that status, because I know at least for myself I just don't care. I think I've been called whitey maybe twice in my life. Unkind words reflect more on the character of the person trying to use them as an attack more than the person they're directed towards.

As a side-note, having been raised in a homogenous environment I had little to no contact with minorities until university, so I never had been confronted with racial tension or bigotry. But I have noticed that a great deal of educated blacks these days prefer to be called "black" not "African American," because the latter somehow makes them seem less American and distances them. Something I entirely understand, and was explained to me years ago by a black sociology major friend of mine. I wonder if the black members here agree with him.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
In my mind banning the word even if only symbolically, gives it more power. Just another reason why I'm glad I don't live in the States.

You can pass a law like this but you can't impeach a President.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Of course n-word should be banned. It's confusing. They should go back to using NIGGER as its easier and less confusing.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It's just one of those cultural oddities that we have to deal with.

My friends/brothers call each other all sorts of names... nigga, biatch, ho, etc. but if someone "outside the group" were to say it, it would be out of place and most likely taken as an offense.

Strange indeed, but so is the fact that # is a bad word and poop isn't.

As for this supposed "symbolic ban", I think it's a bad idea in that it brings more attention to the racial meaning of the word, instead of it's newer meaning which is said with a bit of affection (for lack of a better word).

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm going to take a slightly different spin on this.

Up till now, it looks like people fall into the camp of either it's okay to say it, or it's not.

I don't care if the word was "Widget", no one, not even the FCC, has the right to ban words overall. Even the FCC doesn't have specifically banned words anymore. Their criteria is judged as such:

The FCC's responsibility is to enforce federal obscenity laws. Even these laws don't define obscenity with a list of words or uses. Instead, material must meet three requirements to be considered obscene:

• Applying community standards, an average person must find that the material appeals to the prurient interest.

• The material shows or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically defined by law.

• The material, as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.

• And for those of you whom English is not a first language, or it is a first language and Bergan Evans was not your friend:

pru·ri·ent /ˈprʊriənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[proor-ee-uhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective 1. having, inclined to have, or characterized by lascivious or lustful thoughts, desires, etc.
    2. causing lasciviousness or lust.
    3. having a restless desire or longing.

So I suppose that New York City, if they are to claim the FCCs criteria for obscenity, states that the word "'n-word'" brings about "lasciviousness and lust", defines a specific sexual conduct, and has no literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.

Of all those things required to constitute an "indecent" word, the only thing I could see is a lack of scientific value, since, if anything, there are far more impressive latin-sounding words available.

Now, while I'm sure there's slang terms for sexual positions that use the word, they aren't in common enough usage to bring that imagery about, and one would have to be an illiterate, blind, and uncultured fool to have never read a book, seen a work of art, or heart a political speech that didn't use the word at some point to drive home a point.

Hell, are they going to start burning copies of Tom Sawyer?

Are they going to ban the works of Malcolm X?

Are they going to ban every play, every painting, every historical document or speech that references the word?

Just what the hell are they trying to prove? Are they telling us that the mere mention of a controversial racially related word is as publicly offensive as an overt description of a sexual act? Right now, if I were black man, I'd be a very angry black man.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:15 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
    Really? Most people think the N word is more offensive than the F word?

Fcuk yeah its more offensive.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:22 PM
    link   
    Americans are just that, and as long as we try to find new ways of degrading each other we will never be united.

Did you know the blacks who wanted to fight for our freedom in WWI had to join the French? So does that make them African-French-American? Pretty sad commentary I'd say, these are just the old ways that don't want to let go.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:28 PM
    link   
    can they do the same thing for "honky" "Cracker" and "redneck" too, I never use any of these words because I have a better vocabulary so I can have more effective communication, so I can get my thoughts across without ambiguity. Plus the added bonus of using "big words" around some people so they have no clue what I am speaking about.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:47 PM
    link   
    Thedigirati i totally agree with u using big words is way better than having someone beat the crap out of u
    . I don't like using the "N-word" but my friends are kind of different

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:57 PM
    link   
    I see there are a lot of people confused on this thread about blacks and there use of the word 'n-word'. Well seing as how im black(well light brown) allow me to clarify.

Lots of blacks use the word 'n-word'. Mainly the hip-hop crowd( which is like half of the blacks in america lol). When a black guy walks up to another black guy and says "whats up my nigga", it basically means "whats up man" or "whats up dude". Now the literal term for the word "'n-word'" means ignorant black man, but when blacks say it among themselves it means "dude" or "man". Where im from even whites say the word 'n-word' among themselves. Hell even my white friends might walk up to me and say "whats up my nig". It all depends on how you say it and what you mean when you say it. So basically, "'n-word'" and "nigga" have two different meaings. One a friendly term, the other a degrading term.

Personally, I dont think there should be a ban on this word. Mainly beacause...well there still are some 'n-word's out there, and by this I mean there still are a some blacks out there (especially in the south) who are very ignorant to the world around them. The only reason it SEEMS like there are more ignorant people in black america than white ameriaca is because of the way blacks are projected in the media. VH1 degrades blacks on a daily bases and puts false realitys out there. Hell even BET, a network thats suppose to support blacks, has done NOTHING to put positive realitys out there about blacks.

Oh well, due to AIDS, and Famine, and mindless killings, blacks will eventually be extinct anyway.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:16 PM
    link   
    yeah.....and why is there a thread about a word and still no thread looking for who killed pac and biggie

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:25 PM
    link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
    Unkind words reflect more on the character of the person trying to use them as an attack more than the person they're directed towards.

How many people here realize the very simple yet profound truth of this statement?

It's just a word, it only has power if you give it power, and it says everything about those who would use it and nothing about who it was directed at.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:30 PM
    link   
    Gosh now I can't use the original version of Eeny, meeny, miny, moe?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:58 PM
    link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
    im white all i hang out with is black people.....if i say it nothing happens....if somone who we donno says it.....its on........but why??? anyone wanna help me out?
    Hypocrisy, its ok if they say it but they dont want anyone else to use it in their presence.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:06 PM
    link   
    ooooooo hippie-crissy i hate that

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:17 PM
    link   
    They want to ban 'n-word's?!?!?!?!?!?! Why that's just outrageous! Niggers are some of our most entertaining citizens. Where would music and sports be without 'n-word's? Without 'n-word's, we wouldn't have 1001 uses for the peanut, or the peanut shaped head. Just think of all the fat white women who will be left lonely if 'n-word's are banned. And besides, there's just way too many 'n-word's around to be getting rid of them now. After all, they breed like jungle bunnies. I for one am firmly behind 'n-word's, particularly in any race. Now is the time to support your local 'n-word's! So make sure all your taxes are paid up.

I would now like to dispel some common misconceptions about 'n-word's, in an attempt to spread understanding and so bring an end to this attempted ban.

Niggers do not always have sex on their minds just because they have pubs on their heads.

A cocoon is not a 'n-word' with a stutter.

Stevie Wonder's constant smile is not due to his being unaware that he is a 'n-word'.

Velcro on the ceiling is not a good deterrent to 'n-word's jumping on the bed.

It's not ok to hit a 'n-word' on a bike just because it's not your bike.

Boyz 2 Men is not Michael Jackson’s delivery service. Oh, uh, 'n-word'.

Jacques Custodian is not a French 'n-word'.

Jesse Jackson’s lack of political success is not due to his promising 'n-word's jobs.

I hope this has been helpful in ending the 'n-word' ban. I know all Democrats running for office will support me in this. Remember, if they ban 'n-word's today it might be us inbred rednecks tomorrow.

Never judge (or ban) a person according to the color of their skin. Judge them according to the size of their nostrils.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:00 PM
    link   

They want to ban 'n-word's?!?!?!?!?!?! Why that's just outrageous! Niggers are some of our most entertaining citizens. Where would music and sports be without 'n-word's? Without 'n-word's, we wouldn't have 1001 uses for the peanut, or the peanut shaped head. Just think of all the fat white women who will be left lonely if 'n-word's are banned. And besides, there's just way too many 'n-word's around to be getting rid of them now. After all, they breed like jungle bunnies. I for one am firmly behind 'n-word's, particularly in any race. Now is the time to support your local 'n-word's! So make sure all your taxes are paid up.

You know I really had to laugh at this. lmao

P.S
    By the way I have a BEATUTIFUL white girlfriend
    Haven't ya heard. Black guys are what the young white girls like nowadays.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 01:01 AM
    link   
    Dont ban it, Im not racist but if Im pissed enough at a black then I call them it. Id get in even more trouble for what Id do if I got fined just for calling them that.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 02:26 AM
    link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
    XphilesPhan i garuntee you....walk outside wait for a black guy to drive by...and call him a 'n-word'....then tell us all what happened......so i can laugh at you....all day

uh huh.... I dont think id have much of a problem for some reason.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join