It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm looking for an insight into Freemasonry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I've been somewhat perplexed by the info/disinfo about Freemasonry but would like to try to understand more.
My Grandfather, who died about a year before my birth was a highly respected member of society. He was a founder of the RAF an MP amongst other things (I'm not sure if this is relevant though). I do know that he was a Fremason but unfortunately can't ask him about it due to his passing. I know alot about him but this is something that I feel I need to know more about.
I'm not out to get anyone here, I'm just interested.
I feel that out of respect and some intrigue, that I need to learn more as there is some bad 'press' going around these days towards the subject.
I found a Nigerian 'Emulation' ritual pocketbook from 1956 today too and it's interesting.
I'd appreciate if anyone want's to give me some info. Feel free to send a u2u if you'd prefer.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by Xeros]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Hello Xeros,

Imagine if you could actually know who the best person to ask would be? Would you find him here, or might you even find him in a Masonic Lodge today? When I was a boy and I wanted to know more about Freemasonry, I had already known Theosophy and before I asked this question, I knew someone whom I trusted much more than myself and his opinions on Freemasonry were due to not merely his membership but his deeper spiritual wisdom. Will you find this spiritual wisdom easy to find today?

I hope you do not mind me first asking you if you believe in the spiritual worlds because the answer to your question will appear to come in several ways depending upon how you first see yourself in relation to the rest of the universe.

If you're simply looking for a quick response of what is modern Freemasonry and if you wish to learn more about the material understandings, then I'm sure the good Mason Brothers here will be more than delighted to assist you.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I am a mason, and my curiosity was first piqued by my grandfather. He died when I was 15 and so, like you, could tell me nothing. I investigated masonry for a number of years before joining. By no means should you run off and join just out of curiousity , make sure you know what you are getting into, what is real and what is crapola.
This book contains the minimum amount of information you should have before making a decision.

A previous post of mine:
Being quite a conspiracy buff, I investigated the masons long and hard. There are a few things I learned that you may find useful.

1. None of the symbols, traditions or teachings are patented. This means anybody can borrow them to add legitimacy to what ever cult they wish to start. So for example the Skull and Bones may use some of the same symbols but they are not Free and Accepted Masons and would not be admitted into a lodge unless they were a member of a regularly constituted lodge of masons.

2. Any evil elite group of people can and do make use of all manner of organizations to cover and redirect the blame for their foul agendas. They may use corporations, religions, fraternities or government agencies. So there are undoubtedly evil men who have joined the masons to use it for their own warped agenda and every time they hear the masons get blamed for it they emit one of those wicked laughs that evil people are able to do

3. The vast majority of masons are your local yokels, truck drivers, real estate agents and normal guys. There are lots of current and retired military, mostly the common grunts and enlisted men. If you are looking to rub elbows withe the powerful elite men of the world, you will be disappointed.

4. You don't become a pawn of some high-up super elite group. Each lodge functions as its own unit and all of them do things slightly different than the others. They are under the authority of the grand lodge in their state or area but they don't tell you how to vote or what job to get or who to pray to. They do things like promote the ancient traditions and help the lodges stay on track if they are drifting away from the regular traditions, forgetting their lines etc. My annual dues are $35 a year so they are not soaking up my finances to pay for the NWO.

5. There are no back room deals, political discussions or religious sermons (except the occasional long winded brother who loses his focus
) There are opening and closing prayers at most functions (to God, not satan or baphomet or whatever). Masonry is tolerant of all the major religions but in America you will find the vast majority to be christian.

These items address some of the concerns I had before I joined. And may or may not be helpful to you. They are only my opinion. I have read many pro and anti masonry books and websites and found that upon joining, I knew more masonic history than a few of the long-time members. Some guys would not encourage you to look at the anti-masonry websites out there but I figure a guy aught to see ahead of time what some people think. I will warn you that misquoting books is rampant, so pay no heed unless you research the source. Also keep in mind that no author is the official voice of masonry and can only voice their own opinion. The only official voice of masonry is the one that has been echoing through the ancient traditions from time immemorial.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
I've been somewhat perplexed by the info/disinfo about Freemasonry but would like to try to understand more.
My Grandfather, who died about a year before my birth was a highly respected member of society. He was a founder of the RAF an MP amongst other things (I'm not sure if this is relevant though). I do know that he was a Fremason but unfortunately can't ask him about it due to his passing. I know alot about him but this is something that I feel I need to know more about.
I'm not out to get anyone here, I'm just interested.
I feel that out of respect and some intrigue, that I need to learn more as there is some bad 'press' going around these days towards the subject.
I found a Nigerian 'Emulation' ritual pocketbook from 1956 today too and it's interesting.
I'd appreciate if anyone want's to give me some info. Feel free to send a u2u if you'd prefer.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by Xeros]

Freemasonry is te world's largest and oldest fraternity, dating back to the English and Scottish stonemason guilds of the middle ages. In the 16th century, the guilds were transformed into a gentlemen's club whose major focus was to inculcate the ideals of the Enlightenment.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure there are many here who would be happy to answer.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
here is a great insight into Freemasonry, from a former Freemason, worth watching.

video.google.com...

skip the first 2 mins introduction

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by golddragnet
here is a great insight into Freemasonry, from a former Freemason, worth watching.

video.google.com...

skip the first 2 mins introduction

It should be noted that Mr. Schnoebolen lacks credibility, even with the serious critics of Freemasonry. Schnoebolen employs fantasy, deceit, and sensationalism in order to sell his products, and is not taken seriously by mainstream critics of the fraternity.

With that being said, Schnoebolen is rather entertaining, and I like reading and watching his work myself....just as long as I don't have to pay for it.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
what a joke, who ever takes the "mainstream media" seriously. The whole mainstream media are corrupt.
The freemasons on this site ar hilarious, trying to convince us all that freemasonry is only interested in charity work.
There is no reason why people shouldn't hear Schnobelens account and draw their own conclusions.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   

what a joke, who ever takes the "mainstream media" seriously. The whole mainstream media are corrupt.

Who said anything about "the media"? I said "serious critics of Freemasonry", such as the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod and the Southern Baptist Convention. Schnoebolen's stories through the years are filled with contradictions, and no one really takes him seriously, except for fun.

The freemasons on this site ar hilarious, trying to convince us all that freemasonry is only interested in charity work.
There is no reason why people shouldn't hear Schnobelens account and draw their own conclusions.

I'm not trying to "convince" you of anything. I couldn't care less what you think. My response was to the original poster who asked an honest question, not to you, who only seems interested in spreading some sort of propaganda.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
I'm looking for an insight into Freemasonry

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have via u2u.

Agree 100%. In fact don't just watch the video - take some time to research him and his 'stories'.

Glad I make you smile
Although the charitable side of freemasonry is mentioned (usually as a rebuttal to some allegation or other) it certainly isn't the be-all and end-all of freemasonry and those who wish to join just for the charity side would be well advised to join something else. Charity is merely an exemplification of one of the Craft's tenets - Relief.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I agree 100%

I think everyone, mason or no, good opinion or bad, should spend a little time and listen to Schnoebelen's tales. Its an enlightening experience.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweftl337
Hello Xeros,

Imagine if you could actually know who the best person to ask would be? Would you find him here, or might you even find him in a Masonic Lodge today? ?

Myself, I suppose but I don't have anbody to ask, apart from somewhere like here.

When I was a boy and I wanted to know more about Freemasonry, I had already known Theosophy and before I asked this question, I knew someone whom I trusted much more than myself and his opinions on Freemasonry were due to not merely his membership but his deeper spiritual wisdom. Will you find this spiritual wisdom easy to find today?

I have a deep sense of 'something else', yet I feel that I need to tap into that. I'm confused as to the significance of Freemasonry but I believe it may hold answers to some questions. I've been intersted in 'sacred geometry' but am not sure if this is too relevant. Infact I know there must be something in it, but the secrecy has me confused.

I hope you do not mind me first asking you if you believe in the spiritual worlds because the answer to your question will appear to come in several ways depending upon how you first see yourself in relation to the rest of the universe.

I do believe in a soul which cannot die and would like to learn more, as I'm sure it is like a book waiting to be opened. I know that conscience has no boundarys.

If you're simply looking for a quick response of what is modern Freemasonry and if you wish to learn more about the material understandings, then I'm sure the good Mason Brothers here will be more than delighted to assist you.

I'm not looking for a quick response, in the long run, but thankyou for responding.
I'm just hoping to gain something.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I'm working my way through your responses, so bear with me.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
RedPill, Thankyou.

I'm not looking to "rub shoulders" or anything, I just fell as if I need to learn something which I believe could hold significance, as well as an interest in my Grandfathers life. I might be wrong, and it might be uninspiring, but I feel that there may be more significance to this than I realise yet.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Those on the outside of masonry sometimes assume that we all study the deep mysteries of esoteric and ancient knowledge. While a few do, many do not and you can study all these things without being a mason. The main purpose of masonry IMHO is to pursue excellence in character, subdue the instincts that make us angry and hostile and hone our ability to live in harmony with our fellow man. I am a fairly new mason but a few of the other fellows who posted here have been masons for much longer and have a very deep insight into the details and history of Freemasonry.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedPill
The main purpose of masonry IMHO is to pursue excellence in character, subdue the instincts that make us angry and hostile and hone our ability to live in harmony with our fellow man.

No, thats Feng Shui you are thinking of, you joined the wrong classes!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

No, thats Feng Shui you are thinking of, you joined the wrong classes!!!

DOH!! That must be why they get all cranky when I move the furniture around.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Way to show some class redpill nicely done.

new topics

top topics

join