It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: Aussie helped al Qaida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Pentagon: Aussie helped al Qaida

Source Link: www.kansascity.com

The Pentagon on Thursday charged an Australian citizen with helping al Qaida and trying to kill American troops in Afghanistan, setting the stage for the first trial of an accused terrorist suspect being held at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Pentagon officials allege that David Hicks, 31, a one-time outback cowboy and kangaroo skinner, was in league with al Qaida in Afghanistan at the time of the U.S invasion in 2001.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Apparently he was on a working visa and participating within a career exchange program at one of the arab abatoirs. Practicing the bleeding techniques in animal slaughtering, apparently bolt guns are uncommon and live ammunition is used instead.

He is an innocent victim just like Michelle Corby.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Ripperton,

Corby's name is Schappelle, not Michelle. I have doubts about her innocence and that of her family

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
When I read this, this first thing I noticed was the fact that this guys is actually going to get a fair trial. Then the conspiracy part of my brain went off.
I felt that he is only getting a trial because he is a white, english speaking man. He looks like us and talks like us, so we can relate to him and sympathize with him. How many brown people whom don't speak english do we have detained?
Maybe it's not a conspiracy so much as human nature. The more "like us" a person, animal, or even inanimate object is, the more we care about it.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
David Hicks has been held for the past 5 years without charge.
Some charges were laid, but were then dropped as the whole trial system was declared illegal by the US supreme court.

This time around Hicks is apparently only facing charges of supplying material aid to the enemy. There had been some discussion that he might have been charged with attempted murder, but those charges were not laid.
Considering that the prosecution admits that he NEVER fired his gun, that would seem wise.

This has recently become the 'Hot" topic in Australia. Most of the community is extremely divided on what should happen with Hicks.
Australian News Article

I do not sympathise with the fact that this man is being charged for any crimes he may have committed, I do not seek to have him extradited to Australia, nor to see him freed.
From what I have seen the man placed himself in a position of extreme danger, he has often spouted radical Muslim ideals, he is anti-Jewish and anti-west.

But he is NOT getting fair treatment (we have all seen the Guantanamo abuse scandals) and he will not receive a FAIR trial. How can it be fair if his accusers are the ones who charge, prosecute, defend and judge him?
In my opinion the treatment of these enemy combatants is absolutely reprehensible, it makes us just as bad as the terrorists, as George Bush himself has said "You can't take the high horse and claim the low road".

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
A couple of weeks ago the national Insight forum televised on Australian Television (SBS) brought about red faced looks from allied officials.

The forum included:

David Hick's parents
The Australian Attorney-General
David Hick's US military Lawyer via video link
The overseeing US military prosecutor via video link
Public experts in Legalities, human rights etc.

The allied administrations interesting have now charged him soon after they took part in a formal, unbiased, televised forum. They obviously struggled to find answers and eventually the stunned audience laughed at them. Not suprisingly Australian public responses were similar.

It made for highly embarressing viewing on national tv. Here are links reports:

The Forum topic on SBS television website
news.sbs.com.au...

Video part 1

Video part 2

Video part 3

Criticism
www.roadtosurfdom.com...

[edit on 2-3-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I watched that program and Ruddock was in the hot seat along with the US military honcho. Typical politicians and bigwigs who have no answers because they hedge questions. I particularly enjoyed watching Philip Ruddock squirm as he defended basic human rights of all people.....remember Woomera Detention Centre ? Where were basic human rights for those poor misplaced people?

I have a lot of respect for Michael Mori (the US military lawyer for Hicks) as he could risk his career to see justice done and ensure that there is no 'kangaroo' court. He could just play along and do his job and not be in the spotlight.

Whether Hicks is guilty or not, 5 years is a long time to be left in limbo waiting.

I personally think Hicks is the token 'white boy' being used as an example of what the US will do anyone who has ideas or does things that differ to the way of western ideals.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
I personally think Hicks is the token 'white boy' being used as an example of what the US will do anyone who has ideas or does things that differ to the way of western ideals.

Now that's a good thought. Perhaps the reason that the first trial is going to Hicks is so they can parade him out and show us all that we'd better watch our step. They're hoping to scare us all into being good boys and girls and making sure we don't sympathize with the either enemy combatants or civilians.

top topics

join