It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JbT
Yes, semantics for sure.... But at a site where people will use this for fuel to support their theorys of "Hollow earth" and such, I feel this needs to be made light of.

Anyways, back to the story and info now that we know the facts, still interesting as is.

[edit on 1-3-2007 by JbT]

I believe that here at ATS we presume that most people will actualy read the article before posting. We as individuals think for ourselvses and therefore "make light" the issue ourselves. I understand what you are saying though.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Wow,
This is a very interesting discovery. I will be happy to see where this will lead our scientists and geographers.I think they will find some interesting stuff if they persist into the extraction of EArth Sciences.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone

Originally posted by lombozo
I understand that when oil is taken from the earth, that they pump in sea water to fill the void. Could this be all it is?

Not sure, its under china. Not a whole lot of oil drilling there I don't believe.

Hmmm. That gives me a fiendishly clever idea for taking care of any future "china problems" once and for all. We just start pumping the water out for our own uses, and then china physically collapses like a souffle when the oven door is shut too hard.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
The "Crap People".. "Crap People".. "Crap People".. "Crap People".. "Crap People".. live man. Don't go down there or you will end up being turned into one. They want to rise to the surface and take over the world.

Dont you watch South Park Man. Its where you go for the latest news, and events.

Crap People? CRAP people?

It's CRAB people bud.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Don't Be So Crabby

Originally posted by TheRanchMan
Crap People? CRAP people?

It's CRAB people bud.

O RLY?!?

"Hooowwwwwdy ho!"

(Mods: Please forgive me. It's not my fault. Mr. Hanky made me do it!)

[edit on 3/1/2007 by Majic]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
is there a link to this story????

[edit on 1-3-2007 by TiM3LoRd]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The problem is clearly with the on-line magazine and not with the researchers. They even got the university name wrong. It is Washington University at St. Louis. Not Washington State University. It is ranked equal to Cornell. The research is valid. I believe the correct term is aquifer. There is a huge deep water aquifer under the Western United States, however it sounds like the source of water is different in this case and that is what the article is really about. The fact that the water has come up from below due to percolation is what is unique I think. Much of the terminology has changed since I attended school and it can be hard to keep up. Not to mention the current state of my old brain cells

To the Hollow Earth crowd - No joy here. Sorry. Interesting article though.

[edit on 3/1/2007 by Blaine91555]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Im thinking that perhaps Earth may have distinct hollow pockets but not as expansive as in the Hollow Eearth theory, just a speculation.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You should read the article. There is no ocean under the earth it was a comparison in size. It says not one word about hollow anything in it. The article in the first link was titled badly by the magazine. Yes there are many caverns in the limestone layers but that has nothing to do with the hollow earth stuff.

For those interested you should get a Geology 101 course book. They are very basic and easy to understand. Geology is a fascinating subject and you will enjoy it much more if you have a basic understanding of it. There could well be a huge undiscovered cavern somewhere but the myth of a hollow earth has no foundation in fact.

When I get a chance I'll post some photo's of some of my mineral and rock collection. I just need to unpack some boxes and set up a light box. I have some great stuff. I need to get familiar with a new camera anyway and this would be a good subject.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
The problem is clearly with the on-line magazine and not with the researchers. They even got the university name wrong. It is Washington University at St. Louis. Not Washington State University. It is ranked equal to Cornell. The research is valid. I believe the correct term is aquifer.

They're actualyl not even talking about an aquifer.

They're talking about subducted oceanic crust, rocks that have as part of their chemical forumla -OH groups.

When a peice of oceanic crust sinks, it is exposed to great pressures. Different minerals are stable at different pressures. When a certain pressure threshold is crossed, the minerals start to break down and rearrange, forming new minerals. This causes them to release some ions, such as -OH groups, or also the chemical water. That then induces similar changes in the rocks adjacent to it, causing the rocks to melt, it induces melting by changing the stability of the minerals. This is why there are volcanic ranges above subducting oceanic crust.

selmer3
images.livescience.com...

That is actually showing subducting slabs of oceanic crust.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by befoiled
Got it. Was a little too impatient I guess. Wonder what the hollow earthers make of this?

Wonder what the flat earthers will make of this?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This is really interesting. Although the title of the article is misleading. When I saw it I was like "WOW". Still pretty cool though. I wonder if there is a way to extract the water from the rock? Maybe they will find something similar on the moon or Mars...

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

selmer3
images.livescience.com...

That is actually showing subducting slabs of oceanic crust.

Hey! Im selmer2

Yes. It is great to see the attenuation readings there show Australia is void of any potentially saturated rock, looks like we will be starting to turn to our filtered excrement.

jk.

editt: cant spiell

[edit on 1-3-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
This is really interesting. Although the title of the article is misleading. When I saw it I was like "WOW". Still pretty cool though. I wonder if there is a way to extract the water from the rock? Maybe they will find something similar on the moon or Mars...

I totally agree with you about the title, when I saw the article I was like "What?", I was even hesitant about using that as the headline but that was the title of the article, so I thought I would just let livescience take the blame

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

[edit on 1-3-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
i wonder if there are any critters down there swimming in that watery region under asia

it is also intresting to look at the graph a few posts back in this tread and see that from a side view the ocean looks so minimal at a depth of 5-10 km's compared to the 5000 km or depth the earth goes that the first graph with the bright red colors under asia, makes you wonder about things.

since this water laden region is under asia is there any evidenence to what temperatures are in this region given the fact that there is water present. would these temperatures be consistent with being able to support life?

an interesting tidbit for the global warming gang who warn of rising water levels

When the planet was young, steam came from the deep interior to the surface as volcanic gas and eventually produced today's oceans. But as Earth's interior ages and cools, it becomes easier for water to return below the surface.

also when the temperature goes from 50 below at the poles to 49 below how much ice melts

also when the temperature near the poles warms more snow falls as the air is able to hold more moisture i.e temp goes from 18 to 19 degrees and thus can hold a more moisture leading to more snow and thus more ice forming. wake me up when the water raises 6 inches, otherwise don't tell me the coast is in any danger any time soon

sorry back to thread

[edit on 1-3-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
i wonder if there are any critters down there swimming in that watery region under asia

I was thinking the same thing.

You need water to sustain life, seems feasible in this case that they would find sometime of life, albeit small, living within the water-logged rock.

Is this something they will do tests for ?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Life? How much life do we normally find in rock? Read Blaine and Nygdan's posts again

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The title is mis-leading, but I don't think I should change the title because......well.....ya see, it's not that often that one of my threads gets much attention. Heck, mostly my threads just sit there.
lonely...... scared......then *poof*... they disappear. I mean, look at my points
But not this thread!
NO! This thread is thriving! Confident! Happy! Look at him
Our title looks too nice up in lights in those big bold letters!
We're keeping ya title!
We love ya!

I also want to point out that everyone should read the article before posting. It is not an ocean per se'. What is significant is the amount of water that must be present to slow down the seismic waves to the degree in which it did.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Very interesting indeed! Hopefully it hasnt been poluted, because then it would prove to be an amazing place for new discoveries!

On the other hand, i certainly hope that this does not spark another wave of "reptilians living under the asian soil, I know where they get their food!!" threads.. -.-

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join