It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth

page: 1
16
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth


Source Link: www.livescience.com

Scientists scanning the deep interior of Earth have found evidence of a vast water reservoir beneath eastern Asia that is at least the volume of the Arctic Ocean.

The discovery marks the first time such a large body of water has found in the planet’s deep mantle.

The finding, made by Michael Wysession, a seismologist at Washington State University in St. Louis, and his former graduate student Jesse Lawrence, now at the University of California, San Diego, will be detailed in a forthcoming monograph to be published by the American Geophysical Union.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Please follow submission guidelines. Thanks

[edit on 3/1/07 by FredT]




posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Couldn't get the link to work. Gonna google it...



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Or just go to www.livescience.com

Its the top story!



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Got it. Was a little too impatient I guess. Wonder what the hollow earthers make of this?



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Not sure. It certainly doesn't hurt their argument! Can't wait to hear more about this!



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Link seems to work however maybe the headline is misleading, the water is the same volume as the artic sea, however it is saturated within the porous rocks there, it is not an seperate body or ocean of unending water molecules,

very interesting find thanks

regards

elf



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I understand that when oil is taken from the earth, that they pump in sea water to fill the void. Could this be all it is?



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
it is slightly misleading
I'm blaming livescience.com



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I understand that when oil is taken from the earth, that they pump in sea water to fill the void. Could this be all it is?


Not sure, its under china. Not a whole lot of oil drilling there I don't believe.



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Much more detailed sory on ATS here with additional information:

ATS Mysterious Forum Thread

Goes into much more detail.


Regards

Elf



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Nice link, thanks elf! Very interesting stuff!



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

www.livescience.com...
It would still look like solid rock to you,” Wysession told LiveScience. “You would have to put it in the lab to find the water in it


They are talking about subducting slabs of oceanic crust having the water driven off of it, and it percolating through the mantle and into the continental crust.

Explicity, this is NOT an ocean residing in a cavern underground, or some such.


Its also unrelate to the practice of pumping water into oil resevoirs (which are ALSO not oil filled caverns, but rather oil in the tiny pore spaces of rocks), which I beleive is done to maintain pressure for oil recovery.


STill fascinating. ANd notice how they found it, seismic data, with the seismic waves being slowed when they pass through rock bearing 'water'. And sometimes this water is not even H2O, but rather Hydroxide ions within the mineral structure, like they note here:

www.livescience.com...
Although they appear solid, the composition of some ocean floor rocks is up to 15 percent water. “The water molecules are actually stuck in the mineral structure of the rock,” Wysession explained. “As you heat this up, it eventually dehydrates. It’s like taking clay and firing it to get all the water out.”


[edit on 1-3-2007 by Nygdan]



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
ANd notice how they found it, seismic data, with the seismic waves being slowed when they pass through rock bearing 'water'. And sometimes this water is not even H2O, but rather Hydroxide ions within the mineral structure, like they note here:

www.livescience.com...
Although they appear solid, the composition of some ocean floor rocks is up to 15 percent water. “The water molecules are actually stuck in the mineral structure of the rock,” Wysession explained. “As you heat this up, it eventually dehydrates. It’s like taking clay and firing it to get all the water out.”


[edit on 1-3-2007 by Nygdan]


I noticed that as well! Its not like they found an ocean with some guy in a boat fishing it! They were reading the seismic activity was slowing down. Some good ole' fashion thinking!
You gotta love that!


JbT

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The title is very misleading to this post.

First off, they do not call these "oceans" of water below the earth. They are stating that there is areas of sturated rock, which if you do not look at in a lab, you couldnt tell it was even saturated.

So, lets not fool ourselfs into thinking that there are caverns of open space with "oceans" of water flowing. Its is simply (or not so simply) areas of the earth that spong up water due to many reasons maybe not yet known.

The only reference to an ocean is that the size of the area in question is roughly the size of the atlantic oceans (if i remeber correct).

[edit on 1-3-2007 by JbT]



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
FWIW, the title is that of the article that the OP is linking to.

The OP didn't create the title.


JbT

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
FWIW, the title is that of the article that the OP is linking to.

The OP didn't create the title.


Then the credibility of that article needs to be looked at, cause its false.



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JbT

Originally posted by Nygdan
FWIW, the title is that of the article that the OP is linking to.

The OP didn't create the title.


Then the credibility of that article needs to be looked at, cause its false.


It is not false, its semantics! Notice that the word ocean is paraphrased!


JbT

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yes, semantics for sure.... But at a site where people will use this for fuel to support their theorys of "Hollow earth" and such, I feel this needs to be made light of.

Anyways, back to the story and info now that we know the facts, still interesting as is.

[edit on 1-3-2007 by JbT]



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The "Crap People".. "Crap People".. "Crap People".. "Crap People".. "Crap People".. live man. Don't go down there or you will end up being turned into one. They want to rise to the surface and take over the world.

Dont you watch South Park Man. Its where you go for the latest news, and events.



posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JbT
Yes, semantics for sure.... But at a site where people will use this for fuel to support their theorys of "Hollow earth" and such, I feel this needs to be made light of.

Anyways, back to the story and info now that we know the facts, still interesting as is.

[edit on 1-3-2007 by JbT]


I believe that here at ATS we presume that most people will actualy read the article before posting. We as individuals think for ourselvses and therefore "make light" the issue ourselves. I understand what you are saying though.



new topics

top topics



 
16
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join