It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know anything about leprechauns? i believe i have encountered something that fits the de

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
NOT ME!! I am usually good to go against armed assailants of any size. Here we are allowed to pack and many of us do. BTW I do not run away from snakes, I run TOWARD them.

Ahh. Of course, Mr. Norris, I didn't realize it was you. However, many of us on the mortal plane tend to be a bit more circumspect.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Mabey some one should recommend anger management to this leprechaun.

If this leprechaun come near me i will hit it with a 5 pound pick axe.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by groingrinder
NOT ME!! I am usually good to go against armed assailants of any size. Here we are allowed to pack and many of us do. BTW I do not run away from snakes, I run TOWARD them.

Ahh. Of course, Mr. Norris, I didn't realize it was you. However, many of us on the mortal plane tend to be a bit more circumspect.

Something like this just brightens my day.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
whats up man, its not a hoax story. ive been talking to my friends about it for years. i just ran across ats not that long ago and i decided to let my story be heard not just because i want people to think i saw something krazy, i posted that to find out if anyone else had seen/heard of something like that so that i can finally figure out what i saw that night many years ago. im sorry if i posted it too soon, but im not going anywhere , if you have any questions let me know.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Right, I'll bite.......

Did you see the little fella in Ireland or elsewhere?
Any fairyrings, fairy forts, standing stones or natural wells in the vicinity of the sighting?

Any old human castles or stately homes?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well, I thought it was simply Irish folktale, but it is possible they exist. But are real-life leprechauns (if there are any) really fit the description of Irish folktale? Maybe just dressed the same way and the same size, but I think the "pot o' gold" think is just a fairy tale. Personally, I never really believed in leprachauns, but there is something in Japanese culture or mythology or whatever you want to call it. It's called:

Issun Boushi
Issun Booshi
Issun Boshi

Those are the three ways that it is spelled. It's a one-inch boy that dresses in green. It seems alot like a lepreachaun, yes?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
At the risk of appearing to labour this topic to death, I'll take the opportunity to mention Charles Bonnet 'syndrome' or 'condition' once more. There are numerous online sources, all differing somewhat. It afflicts the sight-impaired quite often, apparently. The least contorted versions (to my mind) state simply that small creatures which strongly resemble 'pixies', 'gnomes' 'elves' (and I guess that includes leprechauns) of myth and legend (and more recently 'fairy stories' and New Age renderings) are SEEN by otherwise demonstrably sane and balanced individuals of all ages. The common feature of the sightings is that many of the claimed witnesses are sight-impaired to one degree or another.

I've noticed lately within the sources I've accessed that 'doctors' and other 'experts' are keen for us to believe and accept that these gnome/pixie/leprechaun sightings are 'hallucinations' created by the eye & mind due to sensory deprivation within the sight-impaired witnesses. Something along those lines, with the unwritten subtext implying that these gnome/leprechaun/elf-whatever creatures " do not exist folks, that's all, move along thanks, nothing to see here ".

And that's fine: we respect the right of people and doctors/experts to discount things they've never seen and which they therefore have no reason at all to accept as true (whilst perhaps bearing in mind that doctors/experts literally kill many tens of thousands of folk per annum via prescription drugs to which they sign their name in good faith).

A 'little bit of accepted truth' goes a long way to granting credibility to whatever claim. We've been assured that the mind does create its own reality when deprived of sensory input, as in floatation tanks, isolation cells, etc. It thus seems to make sense that the minds of sight-impaired folk would manufacture visions/hallucination to what .... keep them entertained ?

So we read the doctors'/experts' theories (opinions) re: Charles Bonnet syndrome and think to ourselves: ' Oh. Ok. That must be all there is to it: just old people believing they're seeing gnomes/elves/leprechauns or whatever because their minds are churning out this stuff in leiu of their having anything 'real' to look at. Riiight. Guess that's all these little-people sightings consist of then: fabricated images.' This seems a logical explanation for creatures that few would believe in anyway and it's easy to close the door on the phenomenon.

But before discounting it entirely, why not pause a moment to ask why the minds of so many sight-impaired individuals would elect to 'manufacture' the same thing? Because that's a valid question. Of all the improbable creatures/scenarios available to the ever-inventive, fertile human mind, why should these smaller-than-human-sized, gnomes/elves/leprechauns/little-people feature so regularly within these alleged hallucinations/visions? Why not unicorns? Why not dinasaurs? Why not vanilla milk-shakes or crackling-fires or any other of the millions of options?

As well, Charles Bonnet afflicts the sight-impaired: those with some degree of 'blindness', which implies they possess some level of sight, be it peripheral or whatever. And you'll notice that the doctors/experts/researchers invariably stress that these sight-impaired individuals are of sound mind: they are not suffering senile dementia or altheimers or other mental deterioration or disease. In short: they're at least as sane and intelligent as those in these forums.

So that's one group of folk who claim to 'see' gnomes/leprechauns.

Another group who claim to see the same smallish creatures/entities are children. Maybe, like me, you don't automatically discount all claims made by children? And the same rationale applies: why would so many children from all over the world, claim to have seen the same group of creatures/entities?

A reading of various paranormal and cryptozoological forums will produce for you a substantial number of posts in which the poster states (often simply in passing and often only briefly) that they -- and often their siblings -- saw/witnessed small creatures/entities 'that looked like elves or gnomes' when they were young. Often these experiences are recounted reluctantly or only when they feel they've established reasonable credibility within the forum sufficient to withstand the expected ridicule. So much easier to post an account of a 'creepy' experience involving ghosts/aliens/vampires/zombies, etc.

Yet these people -- when they are prepared to reveal their little-people experiences, are quite specific:- they claim they saw 'little people' and (usually) the experience filled them with dread and terror, despite that elves/gnomes etc. are generally portrayed in children's books/films/illustrations, etc. as 'sweet', 'cute', 'helpful', 'magical', etc.

So the personal, real-life experiences run contrary to what children have been encouraged/programmed to expect ! (and here we might wonder WHY children are encouraged to regard gnomes/elves/leprechauns/little people as 'benevolent, kindly earth spirits' etc. ?)

Then there are the Celtic peoples' long-standing belief in (and fear of !) the 'wee folk' aka: little-people, leprechauns, gnomes, elves, faery.

If you read a brief history of the Celts and their decendents of today, do you find anything to suggest they had such an easy life that they had time to 'invent' the 'wee folk' of legend and myth ? Does starving and slaving and warring in severe climates and environments sound like a piece of cake? Does anyone imagine that a Highland or Irish farmer took time out from digging peat, walking dozens of miles a day in snow and sleet, digging frozen potatoes from the ground to make gruel in a tiny stone cottage USUALLY lend itself to stealing precious sleep-time in order to INVENT a race of small-people plus voluminious lore and advice re: how to survive the ravages of such little people ?

And WHY would they choose to invent 'little people'? Why not 'cloud people' or 'tree dogs'?

Why did the Native Americans know of & fear the same little-people?

Why did the Hawaiians and Icelandics and Europeans and South Americans ALSO know about & fear these little-people entities?

Maybe because these creatures DO exist

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Dock6]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonoligist Zac
It's a one-inch boy that dresses in green. It seems alot like a lepreachaun, yes?

that's what she said after I took her drunk arse home from the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

(sorry, I simply could not let that go untouched)

(hey, she said that too)

off to the corner for me

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
...that was stupid. It was just something the sap said about similarities...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I heard that originally leprechauns were not as little as people believe them to be today. They supposedly were quite normal looking. I dont really know much about that though?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The ones in Hawaii are called the Menehune.

They are said to be about 2-3 feet tall, with sharp teeth and very wicked.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Okay this did not happen to me but to my friend ,she and a friend were driving at night in Eastern Washington State,It's very rural, unpopulated ,and open there,anyway she saw a small, child sized, naked ,humanoid creature ,with a spindly elongated body proportion white in color ,pace her car for a considerable distance,finally it veered off and disappeared. She turned to her companion and asked him if he had seen it and yes he had .

I believe that this really happened to them because I know her very well,and she would never make up anything like this .and she has military training so she doesn't misinterpret things she sees

I always been very curious about this thing she saw

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join