It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being "saved"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What do you think you have to do to be "saved?" Just curious to see what you all think. I previously thought it only took accepting Jesus Christ as your savior, but I thought I would get your thoughts on the matter.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
John 3:16:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(KJV)

John 3:3-7 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"
(KJV)

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
(KJV)

a) Repent (turn away from) our sins. This is confirmed in Luke 13:3: "except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." (KJV)

b) Believe and trust in Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. This is confirmed in Acts 16:30-31: "Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." (KJV)

c) Confess Jesus Christ before others. This is confirmed in Romans 10:9-10:

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
(KJV)

This is also confirmed in Matthew 10:32-33, as Jesus tells us:

32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
(KJV)

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."
(KJV)

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
(KJV)

I beleive Baptism is a MAJOR part many may disagree with me.

Thats what I think hope this helps

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What glan said, but strike the importance of Baptism. Baptism is a ritual (of which I have taken part in) that is a manifestation of the baptism of the spirit. It isn't required, just symbolic.

Salvation is strictly dependent on YOUR faith, and GOD's grace. It is non-meritorious. There is no act you can commit to be saved, and there is no act you can commit to get lost....except for the exercising of your free moral agency one way or the other.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Valhall What do you think this means then ?. I always was taught/belive that being baptized is being "Born again" Spiritually.

John 3:3-7 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by glan
Valhall What do you think this means then ?. I always was taught/belive that being baptized is being "Born again" Spiritually.

It means that you inserted a word "Baptism" in parentheses after the words of Christ. And, unfortunately, that happens a lot! These acts (baptism, washing of the feet, sacraments, Lord's Supper/Eucharist, don't dance, don't play music...blah blah blah) are selected acts of piety to show a devotion. It is just fine and dandy for us to choose the set of pious acts that we feel best fits us spiritually in our attempts to show our devotion to God, but it is not okay for us to state them as requirements.

Salvation is nonmeritorious...period. No act can be attached as a requirement.

I'm Southern Baptist...but my baptism did not do anything but show those in view that I had committed to my confession...it didn't seal the deal in anyway.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by postings
What do you think you have to do to be "saved?"

It's a personal decision Postings, but one that should be taken seriously. Some people say you only need backup disks, but I prefer saving to tape.

Perhaps this website will enlighten your search for the best ways to be saved as it has mine:

Backup Hardware Reviews - www.storageweek.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by postings
What do you think you have to do to be "saved?"

It's a personal decision Postings, but one that should be taken seriously. Some people say you only need backup disks, but I prefer saving to tape.

Perhaps this website will enlighten your search for the best ways to be saved as it has mine:

Backup Hardware Reviews - www.storageweek.com...

Wow thanks that site was really helpful i am sold on the Quantum|ATL M1500 Tape Library for saving me.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I always thought it was just accepting Jesus as your savior. That's all.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
Wow thanks that site was really helpful i am sold on the Quantum|ATL M1500 Tape Library for saving me.

I's jist joshin'

Actually, I think if there's a sure fire way to not be 'spiritually saved' it's thinking that you've found THE WAY to be saved. Closed minds close doors. Yadda, yadda.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I might be terribly miss guided but I believe Jesus is all around us. I don�t think you need to go to a church and listen to some old bastard telling you how your suppose to live your life. I believe if you accept Jesus as your savior and live a good moral life you will go to heaven. I could be wrong thou maybe giving money to Pat Robertson while he tells us liberals are evil and go out of there way to kill babies and give those dirty homosexual�s rights. I mean can you believe that trying to give homosexuals the same rights we god fearing Christians get!! But you know what I don�t think god put me on this earth to judge others or support Israel. But he did put me here to get the truth out about George W. Bush being the antichrist.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Why depend on someone else ot save you? Save yourselves! Just like respect, being 'saved' is earned, not given. You work, you fight, you strive for personal salvation. Don't rely on someone else -particular a diety- to do the work for you. The only person you can truly rely on in life is yourself. You save yourself, because in the end, it's you that makes your own personal hell or heaven.

"We all wear
the twin masks
of emotion.
Happy or sad,
haunted or hunted,
You choose the mask,
you choose the risk.
You choose your own poison."

DE

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Once saved, always saved?

Or can a person LOSE their salvation?

Peace,
BG

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I was raised in the Calvanist tradition (now called Presbyterian) that took the Catholic 'repent and all is forgiven' to the extreme.

Calvinism has it's roots in pragmatism and logic with an all powerful and all knowing God at the foundation. Yes, Jesus came to save you....and it either took or didn't.

It's kind of an anti-free will position, but it is logical. Yes, you have free will (sort of) but not where God is concerned. He made you to do what you were going to choose anyway.

Bottom line, if you're born a Calvanist Presbyterian... you're saved.
And can do what you like.

SUCKERS!!! I'm "IN". I'll send ya a post card.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
So how does God determine if you are worthy or not?

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by glan

It means that you inserted a word "Baptism" in parentheses after the words of Christ. And, unfortunately, that happens a lot! These acts (baptism, washing of the feet, sacraments, Lord's Supper/Eucharist, don't dance, don't play music...blah blah blah) are selected acts of piety to show a devotion. It is just fine and dandy for us to choose the set of pious acts that we feel best fits us spiritually in our attempts to show our devotion to God, but it is not okay for us to state them as requirements.

Salvation is nonmeritorious...period. No act can be attached as a requirement.

I'm Southern Baptist...but my baptism did not do anything but show those in view that I had committed to my confession...it didn't seal the deal in anyway.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm not Christian and don't understand the whole "being saved" thing. Mainly that if you commit sin but "accept Jesus as your Savior" that you're somehow saved. So you can go out and brutally murder 50 people but then if you accept Christ as your savior you won't go to Hell? If you're an absolute ass and don't follow any of the commandments until say 10 minutes before you die you'll still go to Heaven? If you were a true Christian and lived your life righteously I can see how your soul may be saved, but I don't see how just accepting Christ after you've committed a buttload of sins could possibly save your soul from damnation. And in that case it would be pointless for many people anyway. Like all the retards that kill people and then devote their time to reading the Bible to fill the time until their execution. How about reading the Bible first and NOT KILLING PEOPLE to begin with? And what about people who are Buddhists or Hindus or whatever other religion? If they spent their whole life doing good deeds and helping people, when they die do you think they'll go to Hell just because they didn't believe in Jesus? In my opinion, I think you should be able to believe whatever you want. As long as you were a good person, I don't see why believing in or accepting Jesus or the Bible would make any difference.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by worshipthemoon
I'm not Christian and don't understand the whole "being saved" thing. Mainly that if you commit sin but "accept Jesus as your Savior" that you're somehow saved. So you can go out and brutally murder 50 people but then if you accept Christ as your savior you won't go to Hell? If you're an absolute ass and don't follow any of the commandments until say 10 minutes before you die you'll still go to Heaven? If you were a true Christian and lived your life righteously I can see how your soul may be saved, but I don't see how just accepting Christ after you've committed a buttload of sins could possibly save your soul from damnation. And in that case it would be pointless for many people anyway. Like all the retards that kill people and then devote their time to reading the Bible to fill the time until their execution. How about reading the Bible first and NOT KILLING PEOPLE to begin with? And what about people who are Buddhists or Hindus or whatever other religion? If they spent their whole life doing good deeds and helping people, when they die do you think they'll go to Hell just because they didn't believe in Jesus? In my opinion, I think you should be able to believe whatever you want. As long as you were a good person, I don't see why believing in or accepting Jesus or the Bible would make any difference.

well, you raise god points as most non-believers do.... your right, people SHOULD be reading the Bible first and not killing at all instead of vice versa. but unfortunately it doesnt happen in some cases.

but you also raise the same point that many many people with your beliefs do. the point that good deeds get you to heaven. the bible says that there is ONE way to heaven. you can see that in glan's post above. even mother theresa, as good as she was, wouldnt have gone to heaven without accepting Christ as her lord and savior. some people struggle with the concept of there being only one way to heaven. i dont know why, its always been easy for me. God says it, its true.

someone in another thread said that they believe it's good to question God. IMO, question - dont doubt. hope that makes sense.

honestly, i cant relate to many who will read this because i grew up in a Christian family and its always been that way. so i cant tell everyone to do something because i said it or its the right way. if they werent raised to believe that then they will have a much harder time coming to terms with it. all i can do is tell them what i know to be the truth and hope they will accept Christ.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zodiac
I always thought it was just accepting Jesus as your savior. That's all.

Man I hope it's that easy. I'm non-denominational, and to be frankly honest I REALLY HOPE IT'S THAT EASY. I just don't see that God sending his ONLY son to DIE for US/you/me and all we have to do is say "I accept Jesus" BUT I DO THINK THAT'S A START. Has anyone seen what someone being crucified really is? if now please go here

************WARNING THIS IS VERY DISTURBING*******

GO HERE IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE
Well # I tried to find it and can't, but if you really want to know goto Rotten.com it has a picture there.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LearningRopes
the bible says that there is ONE way to heaven. you can see that in glan's post above. even mother theresa, as good as she was, wouldnt have gone to heaven without accepting Christ as her lord and savior. some people struggle with the concept of there being only one way to heaven. i dont know why, its always been easy for me. God says it, its true.

In that case, I'd rather go to Hell. Heaven will just be full of murderers and hypocrites.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 01:11 AM
link   
if heaven is full of those then imagine what hell will be like

but see you dont understand, when someone accepts Christ, they become a new person inside. they rid themselves of their past mistakes and are transformed. God sees people's sincerity and knows the way that person feels in their heart. so its not a matter of saying you believe, its believing that He is your Lord.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LearningRopes

but see you dont understand, when someone accepts Christ, they become a new person inside. they rid themselves of their past mistakes and are transformed. God sees people's sincerity and knows the way that person feels in their heart. so its not a matter of saying you believe, its believing that He is your Lord.

No wonder this country is going straight down the tubes if everyone believes that. Might as well go out and lie, steal or kill if you'll just be forgiven for it by believing in Jesus later. I was taught not to do those things to begin with, but I guess according to you I'm going to Hell because I don't believe Jesus died for me. Kind of makes the Ten Commandments pointless then, doesn't it? If you don't really have to follow them? Sounds contradictory to me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join