It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riots In Copenhagen After Antiterror Unit Cleared Ungdomshuset

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
A video showing some of the damage after last nights action. Nørrebro, Copenhagen, 2 September 2007. Three of those arrested last night has been put in prison where they will spend the next 25 days.

Scontri tra Polizia e Giovani a Copenhagen 2 settembre

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here's a BBC report on the unrest in Copenhagen

Danish police have clashed with hundreds of rioting youths in the capital, Copenhagen.

Protesters threw stones and set cars ablaze. About 25 people were detained as police used tear gas to disperse the rioters in the Noerrebro district.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The BBC is a bit off regarding the number of arrested. 64 were actually arrested. It was quiet last night. It has been raining, and I guess that might have contributed to quiet things down. On September 5, it'll be 6 months since the Youth House was demolished. I bet it's not over yet. Here's another video from 2. September:

Youths Clash Violently with Copenhagen Police

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
40 minutes ago (2 pm), the feminists started a demo. At 5 pm they've announced: "feministic self-defence"

Feministisk aktionsdag - TIRSDAG (in danish...

Thursday might become the hottest day, in regards to possible riots and craziness. Everything seems to peak on Thursday...

edit to add:
Last night, a terror attack from Al Qaeda was apparently averted in Copenhagen. I wonder, if a terror attack occured..., that the activists from Ungdomshuset might get blamed for it somehow? Activists in process of burning down the city + A couple of bombs goes off = They could easily be blamed for it.

Terror Attack In Copenhagen Foiled - Al Qaeda

[edit on 2007/9/4 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
American Embassy Issue Warning

The American embassy in Denmark has issued a warning to American citizens who are in in Copenhagen. Americans are encouraged to stay far far away from any actions connected to Ungdomshuset, as it can be dangerous to Americans, they say. Violent riots are expected tonight...

Politiken.dk: Amerikanere advares mod 69-demonstrationer (in danish...)

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Activists from Ungdomshuset are going to launch 69 demonstrations today. The date "6/9" is symbolic as well. But there will be 70 demos today... The angry citizens of Noerrebro are holding a demo of their own, against the activists from Ungdomshuset...

Ekstra Bladet: Nørrebro: Nu er det nok! (in danish...)

[edit on 2007/9/6 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
400-500 are participating in the anti-Ungdomshuset demo. They are now about to confront the activists. There are also families with kids there...

TV 2 Nyhederne: Demonstration mod vold i København (in danish)

A picture from the scene (Photo: TV 2)

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Webcam

The Noerrebro citizens have stopped the Ungdomshuset activists. They yelled at them, and some of the anti-activists were also acting very agressivly towards the activists, according to reports. Hundreds of activists have now gathered at Blågårds Plads. They'll eat there and afterwards they'll march to Rådhusplassen together. There's a webcam showing Rådhusplassen here (the picture is updating every 20 sec.).

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
They say there are 1,500 activists on Rådhusplassen now. Check the webcam. Lots of people.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It was relatively quiet last night. Some small isolated fires in garbage containers here and there. There was a fight at Blågårds Plass. The activists burnt DR's (Danmarks Radio's) tv-camera, and the other tv-crews didn't dare to film it.

Ekstra Bladet: Indvandrer smed flaske ind i politibil (in danish...)

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
...and now the joke turns on everyone but Faderhuset.

It has become known that Faderhuset is about to sell the plot of land where Ungdomshuset once stood.
By doing that they go against their own promise of using the plot to build a house for themselves. It also strengthens the notion that Ruth Eversen is living up to the words she uttered some years ago "I will do anything to get rid of that house".

More hate to be put on the shoulders of the extreme christians... I'm appalled by this whole case.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Seeing that no one has updated this thread yet, I guess I'll do it myself. Better late then never...

Activists occupied another house in Copenhagen for a brief moment Saturday. Police were mobilized from all over Denmark. Riots started again. Police used lots of tear gas and 436 people were arrested. There were also "sympathy-demos" in several European cities.

The Copenhagen Post: ‘Peaceful’ protest breaks arrest record

The largest demonstration yet in support of a new youth collective house took place Saturday without violent incidents though police used tear gas and arrested hundreds

A record 436 arrests were made at a proclaimed ‘non-violent’ demonstration Saturday by supporters of the Ungdomshuset youth collective.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

RIA Novosti: Denmark: Clashes and mass arrests. Video

BBC: Danish clash sparks mass arrests

People's Daily Online: Hundreds of youths arrested after riots

The Independent: Mass release after Copenhagen rioting

The New Zealand Herald: Youth centre conflict erupts

AngolaPress: Danish clash sparks mass arrests

Channel 4: Danish clashes lead to 400 arrests

Scotland on Sunday: 436 arrested after attempted occupation

The West Australian: Danish police arrest 436 at protest

Al Jazeera: Record arrests in Denmark protests

EARTHtimes.org: Danish police use teargas, arrest 436 in Copenhagen youth protest

Xinhua: Denmark releases youths detained in clashes with Copenhagen police

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Pictures from Copenhagen, Saturday (two days ago). The activists called Saturday's action "G13".

G13 - Grøndals Vænge - Vi kæmper for at sejre

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Welcome back Hellmutt, nice holiday?
Hope you enjoyed 'den friske luft i fjellet'.

No, we've been so busy with Burma, you wouldn't believe it. Have kept an eye on Cph, now and then, but I must admit your post now makes me aware of the extent of the arrests.

There's a funny story in Politiken about a counter demonstration of neighbours in the desinated aproximity to the desired house.

Davidsstjerner ved nabodemonstration vækker forargelse

Nothing special except they've drawn the anger and indignation from the Jewish community in Denmark, because for the demo they where wearing six jagged yellow stars as an emblem with slogans against the juveniles cause. However as most probably know, the six-jagged star is the symbol of Judaism and the yellow version known as the Hitler era's branding sign of Jews.

Probably they didn't know. Ignorance. They just chose it as a universal symbol and where ignorant to chose the colour yellow.

Pictures from the neighbourhood watch demo:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
well most of the links you posted tells police view. the main thin about G13 is that there was a non violence action. and we mantained IT! a saw a kid try throw a bottle but other activists stop him. police shot the granat directly in the demonstration, and kept going for 3 hours.
found this link to on modkraft.dk: modkraft.dk...

just press on the picture to see the slideshow.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Takes me back to 1980 when arriving in Amsterdam there was a major riot involving squatters. There is a long history of the Europeans marching and demonstrating when they feel aggrieved, whatever the cause. The people there are not like the American middle class, afaid to speak up..

I think it is great for the people to raise hell and not let the governments get too powerful. Of course, it is hard to defend people on other peoples proerty, but for any really important issue it is always best to take to the streets...as we all know voting is a sham, and politicians arer all self aggrandized crooks looking to help the big guys..so it gladdens my heart to see street riots in Europe, and I wish there were more here...not based on race, but on rejecting the governments attempts to assert total control over the people.

The evil and sickening Bush attitudes have crept into the right wing leanings of some Eurp politicians, and we see more and more repressive and harsh measures used against peaceful Europeans, such as the crack down on Christiania, the compound for liberal youth and a center of esoteric commerce. The people need to throw down gauntlets now and then to let the powers that be know that there ARE limitations and lines that cannot be crossed without consequences. Good for the rioters!! No doubt they will get something done and get some consessions so it was a good thing to rise up.

Only now we need Americans to get off their butts and take to the streets every time some cop hurts a kid or kills another innocent...the list of bad things here is long and there is much to riot about...,maybe a good thrashing is what the cops need now and then to realize it is not all a one way street!!

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Police fired tear gas into the crowd of non-violent protesters without any warning. Some non-violent protesters who were not even moving, were bit by police dogs. The police sent their dogs at them for no apparent reason. Some of the arrested were placed on a cold floor with their hands tied behind their backs for up to 12 hours with no food, water or toilet.

Politiken.dk: Minister skal forklare brug af magtmidler (in danish...)

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Welcome back Hellmutt, nice holiday?
Hope you enjoyed 'den friske luft i fjellet'.

It was very nice, thank you. I enjoyed it very much. You can see some pictures here.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The police say that the reason the kids had their hands tied behind their backs for so long, was because of logistical problems since they arrested so many. If they don't tie their hands, they're worried about the kids swapping cloths. If they do, they claim they won't be able to see who got arrested for what reasons.

Sounds like a bad excuse for torturing kids, if you ask me...

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Right now there are many fires in different places in Copenhagen, Denmark. Cars have also been set on fire. Latest reports indicate that the situation is escalating.

Today, many danish newspapers reprinted one of the Mohammed cartoons. There has been fires the last few nights in Copenhagen related to Ungdomshuset. Today there has also been protests in relation to the Mohammed cartoons, so the current fires might be a combination of both...

Der er ballade på Nørrebro igen (in danish...)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join