It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1897-UFO Crash at Aurora, Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I have been a long time believer in ET's visiting our planet from the dawn of life on this planet. I have read many obscure and intriguing articles/book's pertaining to this event taking place and for the evidence's there of for this actually having occurred. Though there seem's to be little 'Verifiable Physical Evidence', there seem's to me that , before the time of mass media, thing's of this nature were occurring in some og the most oddest and unexpected location's with in the USA that were recorded for prosperity by the alledged witnesses of those times. The problem there being the 'Cataloging Record's of thier day was paper and pencil. Though there was 'cataloging' of the instance of this thread, it has twist's and turn's that leave me completely bewildered for the change of event's (And hearts) that took place in Aurora Texas back in 1897. The 'Cataloging' of this event was documented, the stories followed generation's of families from the vacinity and all are willing to 'somewhat' openly discyss the tail's of there recent ancestor's, even to go as far as telling the story of an 'Alien' being buried in thier town cemetary in an unmarked grave, only recognizable by the 'Iconic' rock that was left in place of where the alien body was buried.
There was a show that was televised by the History channel about Aurora Texas and I was lucky enough to be able to watch the documentation of what the UFOoligists and other interested parties were trying to do as the investigation took place. The story itself is very enticing, but the out come of the televised show was not expected.

Aurora's History: Aurora's History: Because of ever changing railroad lines, and Texas highways, it is a miracle that the small town of Aurora, Texas is still there. And not only that, but it is a legendary "historical site" as designated by the state of Texas. Why would a small farming community get such a distinction? One reason-an alien spacecraft crashed there in 1897. At least that's what the residents say, and what the newspaper reports claimed.

Now, while the show was unravelling these alledged claims, it turn's out that the area where the UFO had unexplainedly crashed was still situated in the town of Aurora. Even some of the relatives of thier family member's relatives still settled on the same areas where the event had taken place, with wittnesses from neighbor's , to a small boy doing his daily chore's. To me it is a 'Great Sighting' for possible physical evidence's that are so badly needed to disclose the truth of other 'Being's' visiting our planet and routinely (Though not often) that thier technology sometimes has flaws in out come as we do here on earth with science/technology ect. Billy Booth, who is the invesigator for the validity of the event taking place had got a very positive response, 'at the beginning', and ventured to the area/site of the crash with the guidence of the eyewitness report's of the day.

The Crash: These early ships were slow moving craft, and so was the one that crashed into an Aurora windmill on April 19. According to the legend, the craft was destroyed, and the remains of an alien pilot were discovered among the remains. Also found among the scattered debris was a strange material with hieroglyphic-type etching. The alien creature was given a proper burial in the one and only cemetery in town. The alien body has long since disappeared.

It goes farther into detailed account's of the 'Alien' wittnesses and to the debris debris field itself describing in very great detail form the chain of event's before the crash and what took place afterwards.

Local Newspaper Coverage: Local newspapers carried this story;
About 6 o'clock this morning the early risers of Aurora were astonished at the sudden appearance of the airship which has been sailing around the country. It was traveling due north and much nearer the earth than before. Evidently some of the machinery was out of order, for it was making a speed of only ten or twelve miles an hour, and gradually settling toward the earth.

With out the advent of acknowledging such thing's as "UFO's" thier discription's would of been rather mundane and very simple to as what they were seeing, kitty hawk hadn't been and the Golfier's invention would of benn recognizable for thier 'Hotair balloon" for that day and age. so, if the discription in the above mentioned article sound's 'Simple', to me that is what one would expect from a community with no word's to fit the event.
There were other press involved with the sighting from all over the states, UPI was one of those publicizing the story and getting out to more people from around the states.

UPI Coverage:
"Aurora, Tex. -- (UPI) -- A grave in a small north Texas cemetery contains the body of an 1897 astronaut who was 'not an inhabitant of this world,' according to the International UFO Bureau. The group, which investigates unidentified flying objects, has already initiated legal proceedings to exhume the body and will go to court if necessary to open the grave, director Hayden Hewes said Wednesday."

UPI even took the initiative to take it a step farther by announcing it was a 'Government Cover up' with the following statements made in thier publication's.

Not of this World: UPI also picked up the story, and the legend was spread far beyond the borders of Texas. There were a number of eyewitness accounts of the incident later published, and they all agreed with the basic facts. An unknown craft had crashed into the town, strange debris was found, and a being "not of this world" was found in the wreckage. One intriguing account, although second-hand, came from a 15-year-old girl. Her parents had visited the site, and claimed that the alien pilot was a "small man."
Military Cover-up: There is also evidence of a military cover-up. Soon after the crash, military personnel came to Aurora. Could they have been responsible for the removal of the alien body? For a time, there was a headstone for the body, but even it has disappeared. All that remains are photographs of the headstone.

I have gone to the ATS archives and tried digging up anything on this event being talked about on the boards and came up "nil" on a thread being talked over on this topic. The archives and my search were under the same heading of the title of this thread. If by chance this topic has been brought up before, "Mod's,please for give me for bringing it up again."

But if it hasn't, I think the buff's out there would find these account's and recorded event's mind boggling for the implication's of government cover up's and alien/ufo visitation from other living galaxies and places of origin.

But, just as with any good eye wittness account's and people of the tales of the event from relation's pasted down, it is always the saddess thing for us alien/ufo believer's when we have to end on a note of possibility, for instance:

Staying Afloat: For the time period, news of this event was spread wide and far. Many new visitors made their way to the little town to see what all the gossip was about. Second and third hand stories would soon morph into eye witness accounts. Where the information came from that supplied newspaper accounts is anyone's guess.

Record keeping of the time and era were not as well as we have it today, but with a true belief in the absolutely practical assumption's with out physical proof, "This incident is a real doosey."

There have been, at times, lobbying to dig up the alien grave, and see what evidence may remain. But townsfolk have kept this from happening. What excitement would run through UFO circles if alien DNA was found there. Maybe it is best to leave the grave alone, and let the Aurora mystery remain.

Hope to get some feed back about this incredible account of a sighting from so many years ago.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I know some about the Aurora crash. I've looked into some of the stories about it and I saw a documentary about it. If I can find the video I'll post it here. I think the Aurora crash is one of the UFO mysteries that can be solved being that the body was buried in the cemetery. The thing is every wttempt to try to find and exhume the body has been blocked(no surprise there)

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
I know some about the Aurora crash. I've looked into some of the stories about it and I saw a documentary about it. If I can find the video I'll post it here. I think the Aurora crash is one of the UFO mysteries that can be solved being that the body was buried in the cemetery. The thing is every wttempt to try to find and exhume the body has been blocked(no surprise there)

I agree totally with your views about this scenario having occurred, and as I had mentioned before "I too have seen the documentary." it is a fascinating story, with claims and discription's way before there time, if you know what I mean.

The information I got was at this website,"Sorry Mod's, forgot to post it after I ran out of room for this topic."

But here is the source for the acquired information:

ufos.about.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I've read that one
Do you happen to remember the name of the documentary? I think it would be cool to post it and let fellow ATSers watch it. I still find it alarming that the headstone was removed and all of a sudden lots of people are getting involved trying to block any research attempts. Really a fascinating story.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

The thing is every wttempt to try to find and exhume the body has been blocked(no surprise there)

Damn!

Where are some illegal graverobbers when you need them!

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This looks like a job for Indiana Jones

I wish they would let the body be exhumed so it can be proven or disproven. Then they can put it back where they got it for all I care. It would just be nice to know the truth. Especially when the answer is sitting a mere 6 feet under the researchers feet.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I still find it alarming that the headstone was removed and all of a sudden lots of people are getting involved trying to block any research attempts. Really a fascinating story.

I have several family members buried there and still living in that area, They wouldn't want anyone digging around. Many years before 1897 my family owned several parts of Newark and Aurora, I do have a family history book that speaks about the area, there's no mention of the crash around that time. Now that I think about the book... I haven't read it in years... think i will give another read soon.

I wonder if any of you real UFO investigators can figure out my family last name... one area was called ---- Hill. Now, I don't have the same last name nor does that place have that name anymore... But can readily prove from my family history book, there was no mention of a airship crash...

I think that Haydon dude made the whole story up, but hey it put the town on the map lol....

I must admit, the Aurora story is what got me into conspiracy theories.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
allegedly, the remains of the craft were dropped down a well , I remember seeing a documentary about this and the well is still there, under a shed on private property as I recall. the owners absolutely refused to allow any digging to find the well, which would be an incredible find, not to mention a Fortune in Value. It makes one wonder why people are so adamant to NOT allow investigations

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
I think that Haydon dude made the whole story up, but hey it put the town on the map lol....

And there lies some circumstantial evidence as to why they won't let the "alien" body be exhumed, or the well be dug up.

This story must have good publicity value for the town.

If it turns out to be a hoax, it would be a red mark on the towns credibility, imo.

Just my thoughts...

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
According to certain other researchers, the grave marker's gone as was removed in the mid fifties. There is the possibility the grave was dug-up and whatever was there was gone at that time too.
Marrs has shown the site of the burial under a large tree branch. He claims to have seen the marker back in the early fifties.

Dallas

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
According to certain other researchers, the grave marker's gone as was removed in the mid fifties. There is the possibility the grave was dug-up and whatever was there was gone at that time too.
Marrs has shown the site of the burial under a large tree branch. He claims to have seen the marker back in the early fifties.

Dallas

I've heard the story too... I know where the site area Marrs mentions.

The grave marker from what I've been told was not a drawing of a UFO, it was a etched copy of a branding mark that ranchers often used on livestock back then. The grave site is probably of a unknown person, not livestock or alien lol.

After all the Chisholm trail ran nearby the Aurora area.

Some ranchers would use a diamond shape branding mark with their intial in the middle, thus eons later..... could be mistaken for a UFO.... if etched on a rock.

I wouldn't believe a word from Jim Marrs, he's on Jeff Rense level as far as creditability. Mars much worse for he's only in it for the money. Hickman, Rense, Marrs all of whom mix fact with fiction, all three are worthless UFO investigators... period.

Rense.com www.rense.com... is BS
fact mixed with fiction and lies.

The one investigator that got it right is Kevin Randle, much more creditable than the terrible three I mentioned.

Kevin D. Randle is a professional, investigative journalist who, for more than twenty years, has been studying the UFO phenomenon.

kevinrandle.blogspot.com...

The final, fatal blow for the airship and Aurora crash comes from the original reporter. H.E. Hayden, a stringer for the Dallas Morning News, who claimed to have invented the story in a vain attempt to put his dying community back on the map. He hoped to draw attention, and people, to Aurora, Texas. He was successful. The problem was that he succeeded sixty years too late and those who arrived only wanted to learn about the airship, not settle down to rebuild the community as he had hoped.

Did some reading today.... If there was a crash it would of been in this book, it covers before the civil war all the way up to the 60's. It has doctors, judges, postmen, indians...ext. but no alien or aliens in the Aurora / Newark area.

The Proctor's !

The Beauchamp's !

The Alein ! ... from the movie lol.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Xphiles
Did some reading today.... If there was a crash it would of been in this book, it covers before the civil war all the way up to the 60's. It has doctors, judges, postmen, indians...ext. but no alien or aliens in the Aurora / Newark area.

I really don't think that the information about the crash site would be mentioned as a regular register for that type of book. I personally believe they didn't know what it was and left the mind to an absolute blank to the event. They were not of the era of being able to know what they were wittnessing and they definately wouldn't know what to call the alledged "UFO" for lack of the existance in thier vocabulary.

As for the documentary question's of what it was called, it was "Teaxas's Roswell" and it aired on the Discovery channel. It has been a while since it has been shown, but it was quite an aluring tail of event's and out come's to the whole ordeal.

I am sorry I have not been able to respond to my thread and the post's that have been submitted, I have been very busy at work and have little time for the puter as of lately.

I would like this thread to keep on discussing the issue, to me there are to many "Loose End's" to the whole conclusion of the wittnesses and the sudden denial of being able to search the well and the surrounding's. I also remember that they had picked up some strong radiation on a guiger counter around the area of the old well, which was convieniently covered by a concrete slab by the now owner's. I am almost certatin that the "Now" owner's agreed to allow the investigation to take place, but changed thier mind's for no apparent reason. Also , I believe that there was a living wittness to the sighting and event that was recorded on video tape , Which I also believe was part of the documentary.

Not alot of information out there as far as I can tell about this sighting, but , if by chance the poster that had mentioned they had relatives and the like from that area, "Doesn't it seem like a typical Gov. cover up?" Even for that day . And if it wasn't understood what had taken place in Aurora, and was discovered after the UFO initiation to our society, "What a great time to cover the past in controversy and inconclusiveness for the multitudes."

I will dig some more and see if I can find anything by tomarrow. There has to be something hidden out there, even it was a hoax or misinformation. Should say that somewhere......

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Apparently there was alot of "UFO" activity going on around that time and there were some substantieated case's that were dubbed as hoaxes during the sighting's of the 1896-97 visit's of "Flying Craft" in and over the USA during these years.

As for furhter inquirie to the "Aurora Texas Incident" I have found some sites that are indirectly associated with the occurances of the afore mentioned years during the time of the "Aurora" sighting's."

The mysterious airship reports of 1896 and 1897 must all be viewed as suspect. That is not to say they should be thrown out as worthless. The basic evidence seems sound and indicative. And, of course, the similar sightings were to strongly reappear in Europe and Australia around 1910 and later in the late 1920s. The one self-evident fact which emerges from those early reports is that no person, company, or government ever stepped forward to reap the rewards of society for inventing a fabulous, new flying device. That situation, that link, has carried forward a hundred years, to this very day. It seems obvious to us today from our current "sophisticated positions in science and understanding" that the world's populace was not ready in those naive days for the owner's to come forward with their fabulous machines. Are we ready today? Or is that the wrong question? Are we waiting for them, or are they waiting for us? [unquote]

I have read the entire websites article and it does leave one to say "They admitted it was a hoax." but as you read down farther, you do see that the author is pretty predicated on the fact that there are some very startling simularities in discription and path location's around some of the USA sighting's of that time.

One common aspect of most of the airship sightings reported in the newspapers can be helpful in substantiating its reality despite the lack of integrity displayed by some reporters.

So, there may be some verifiable truth's to the event's taking place during this time, and there were some of those that were trying to reap the greatness of other paper's article's by fabricating, but for the one's that weren't in it for the glory of the story, there seem's to be some kind of indistinct tie of sort's.

It is very sad that we live in a society of politic's and neandorer's that think nothing of the intelligence's of individuals that wish to hear the "truth's" of such occurances, and when they try to "Grandstand" themselve's , they not only hurt who they represent, but actually , the people that really "Believe" and "Want to proove" the existance of exterrestrials in our midst.

Source:
www.elfis.net...

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Hey all. Took abit, but managed to find the News Paper article on the crash, published two days afterwards.
There's quite alot of stuff on this one, but few blogs which actually show original article.

News Paper Clipping of Apr 17, 1897 Aurora, TX UFO Crash: www.ufologie.net...

Dallas

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I thought this was the Aurora plane crash.

It did you know.

A 12 position high voltage switch was found by a researcher.

He followed a CIA trunk to a salvage center in New Mexico.

He made a drawing of it and related parts.

When he went back the owner said he can't let him in.

Now that is so bogus, where is the proof.

There is no Aurora craft and drawings can be so ET phony.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923

I really don't think that the information about the crash site would be mentioned as a regular register for that type of book.

The author of the book Etta Pegues was well aware of the story, she knew it was hoax and left it out. You see, back then when the book came out in 68 the Aurora story was no big deal, there was no reason to put a admitted hoax in a history book.

What would you believe? A well known historian or some kooky ufo investigator like "Jim Marrs" searching for bogus UFO stories to make money on. Marrs is just following the money trail, as he would make you think he is on the 911 trail at this moment. It's to bad Alex Jones supports him, it lowers Alex creditability that much more.

Then think about these facts:

1. A very well known historian of the area has been on record to say it was a hoax.

Aurora historian Etta Pegues provided her own take on the story: "It was all a hoax cooked up by [newspaper correspondent] Haydon and a bunch of men sitting around the general store," she wrote. She added that Haydon had a well-known reputation for telling tall tales. Some in the community, she added, suspected that Judge J.S. Proctor, owner of the property where the airship was said to have crashed, might actually have instigated the story.

2. Kevin D. Randle a professional UFO investigator, believes it's a hoax. kevinrandle.blogspot.com...

3. H.E. Hayden, a stringer for the Dallas Morning News, who claimed to have invented the story in a vain attempt to put his dying community back on the map.

So there you have it, the very man who made the newspaper story claims he made it up, and you have two remarkable professionals who claim it's a hoax. What more could you ask for?

I personally believe they didn't know what it was and left the mind to an absolute blank to the event. They were not of the era of being able to know what they were wittnessing and they definately wouldn't know what to call the alledged "UFO" for lack of the existance in thier vocabulary.

left their mind blank lol..... "sigh" You have to be joking right?

I'm sure they would have a word for it, in fact the newspaper gave them a word for it "airship"

Even if the newspaper didn't report it, and if it really happened they probably would call it an angel, demon or something along those lines.

I also remember that they had picked up some strong radiation on a guiger counter around the area of the old well, which was convieniently covered by a concrete slab by the now owner's. I am almost certatin that the "Now" owner's agreed to allow the investigation to take place, but changed thier mind's for no apparent reason. Also , I believe that there was a living wittness to the sighting and event that was recorded on video tape , Which I also believe was part of the documentary.

You know it's not that hard to buy or find radioactive isotopes to make a geiger counter go crazy.

The one living wittiness from what I heard in that video was not a reliable source, if your talking about the Marrs video. Then again I would bet Marrs may even offer money favors just to get a good story.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Ok...so this is the proof that it is a hoax!? This is no ,more than yet another version of the origional story made by other debunkers.

You see...this just makes me believe it more!! Think about it Xphiles, the stories supporting that it happened are far more consistent than the stories that it didn't.

As far as Meer and the other researchers just "following the money trail", what friggin money trail are you referring to? The money from one UFO files broadcast residules??? Wouldn't he do better with a will work for food sign??

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
To tell the truth I hope it did happen, but look at who is writing the stories???

money trail as in DVD's books ext.... They make a killing off of gullable people.
$$$

I rather believe a historian than some kooky investigator.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 04:41 AM
link   
it's S.E. Haydon, not H.E.Haydon, so make sure you are looking up the correct person to start with so Kevin Randle got it wrong, to me that throws doubt into his credibility. either he is sloppy or he doesn't proof read his copy.

it's possible it WAS a Hoax, however, if this WAS so, wouldn't you want it cleared up as soon as it came out seeing as how the residence are so reluctant to be part of this they should be quite forthcoming just to kill the story. This is NOT the case, they are less then forthcoming

(tezzajw if you are reading this from the other thread I have those pics on my "other" yahoo profile send a u2u and I'll give ya the URL)

[edit on 22-3-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
There were numerous other sightings all over the State of Texas that same day and they were all published in the Dallas Morning News on the same page as the Aurora story. They all describe a cigar shaped object with bright lights hovering in the skies and were all documented by eye witness accounts.

Here is the page with the articles.

Dallas Morning News April 19, 1897 page 5
va012.newsbank.com...

No Headline
The Great Aerial Wanderer
A Judge Sees It
C. G. Williams Saw It
A Home-Made One
Seen over Savoy
Seen at Manor
Ladonians See It
Col. Peoples Sees It
A Windmill Demolishes It
Skeptics and Believers
A Bank Cashier Sees It
Seen at West
Has a Musical Crew
Seen in the Territory
Airship Line
Seen at Wortham

Here is a description from Milam County, Texas.

"The monster had the appearance of the pictures of the great whaleback ships of which so much has been written, with immense wings both fore and aft, with great fins beneath and on the sides. The noise of its approach was not great, but it produced a humming sound, which he thinks was caused by the machinery that propelled it."

Here is a description from Hunt County, Texas.

"I saw an immense cigar shaped vessel resting on the ground in front of me. I saw three men walk out of the vessel. Two of them went to work about the rigging of the ship. The other asked if I would mail some letters for him."

Here is a description from Stephenville, Texas.

"It consists of a cigar shaped body about sixty feet in length to which is attached two immense aeroplanes, and the motive power is an immense wheel at each end, in appearance much like a metallic windmill. It is driven by an immense electric engine which derives its power from storage batteries. The crew consisted, as stated, of two men who gave their names as S. E. Tilman and A.F. Dolbear."

Here is another description.

"A. B. Ewing, as he was going home from his store, says he was startled by a strange buzzing noise overhead. Looking up, he saw what seemed to him to be a mammoth alligator with wings outstreatched and when nearly overhead the lights went out and only a glimmer could be seen all along the side of the long body."

"The ship was seen travelling in a southern course, moving at the rate of about forty five or fifty miles an hour. It looked to be from 75 to 100 feet in length, carried what seemd to be a headlight, not unlike those used on a locomotive and was some quarter of a mile from the earth."

"It seemed to be whaleback in body with bat-like wings, windows with lights inside with a powerful headlight in front. It was not over 500 feet above the ground, but ascended rapidly until almost out of sight. It had almost meteor like speed."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join