It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bored High School Students More Likely to Drop-Out

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
Anything establishment oriented is always "boring" to a teenager.
[edit on 28-2-2007 by rocknroll]

As a teenager I can safely say that is not true. I hate repeditive crappy tasks which are long and tiring.

Eg. At school we have metal work. Everyone pays attention there and no one EVER messes around. In that room we cast things and have to deal with blow torches and strong acids, you need to keep your whits about you, it's fun creating things and we may use this later on in life.

However, in Maths, we are doing Index laws. We have spent Six one hour and ten minute lessons doing simple questions, eg. 2 squard divided by 2 squared =?.

How the hell can you expect me to concentrate doing that CRAP? I learned the whole thing in about 15 minutes!

If everything was more fast paced. I'd GLADLY tune and and find it interesting. I am getting my PPL, and I obviously won't mess about there.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Doc Velocity, well, the first thing that needs to be realized is that the whole term "genius" is rather subjective. I personally think that Einstein was a genius. However many, including Einstein himself probably would not agree with that sentiment. Yes, even Einstein had doubts about his intelligence level.

Anyway, many people would argue that Einstein,much like Edison, was not really a genius but someone who benefitted from the work of his predecessors.

Okay, let me ask you, if you have someone who has an IQ of,say 97, which is on the high end of the average intelligence marker, and someone who has an IQ of say, 140, who would you say is the smarter of the two? The one with the IQ of 140, right? Well,
, not necessarily.

IQ scores are simply a way to "measure a person's ability to learn," and not so much based on what he/she already knows. The determining factor of which one is smarter would largely be dependent on experience and what that person has been exposed to. For example, let's say the person who has an IQ of 97 has been exposed to quantum physics and the person with the IQ of 140 has been exposed to agricultural science. Now who is smarter? I'd say the former rather than the latter. Does the guy have the potential to learn quantum physics? Certainly,but he doesn't, at least as of yet, have that background.

<< 1   >>

join