It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2003 Kia Modification Inquiry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have a 2003 Kia Spectra Gs 1.8L 4cyl 16Valve engine. I was wondering if anyone has any cheap mods to increase HP without sacraficing my too much gas mileage?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Ok, so I have decided to install a hydrobooster cell in my car. I might have to mix the h20 with ethanol so it does not freeze, or I will only use it during the summer. I dunno, Roch, NY is pretty cold during the winter. 20 degrees fahrenheit is when salt-water solutions freeze.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
What is a hydrobooster?

I'd say start simple with a high flow filter or intake system to get rid of the factory baffle box. Then maybe a cat-back or custom high flow exhaust.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hydrobooster is a device that creates hydrogen gas by using your existing electrical system. Hydrogen contains more energy than gasoline and NO2, so it should give a 20% increase in HP. But the filters are definately a must. I just have to clear it with my dealer first. I want to install a custom CAI and a nice catback exhaust system since I keep destroying my current cats. Anyhow, keep the suggestions coming!!

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
After that your next step should probably be an ECU upgrade if anyone actually makes them for Kia's. I'd stop about there and redo the suspension and brakes before adding further mods.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
They actually have a website for kias. www.kia-fx.com... I figured I would get many many opinions.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm surprised this car gets so much aftermarket support. I would probably get the big bore throttle body as well, the crank pulley, and if you're redoing your exhaust get headers as well.

Here's where you run into a problem though, most manufacturers out there, do not allow you to mod your car, and I'm assuming you still have warranty. Make sure that you clear most of these mods with them first. They won't notice the pully, ECU and the throttle body (although they'll notice the larger diameter piping going to it). However anything like headers, a cat back or a CAI will be obvious.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Yeah, apparently if I have them install it, I will be within my warranty because they can service the parts. Apparently you can have any modification on your car as long as it is installed by your certified mechanic. So if I wanted to replace my fuel injectors with aftermarket by myself, they will not cover it. But if I wanted my dealer to replace them it would be ok.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
That's pretty cool, I didn't figure they would be ok with it. Why are you replacing injectors? Are you thinking of a turbo setup or something?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Definately thinking of turbo setup. I wanted to put one one a long time ago. Since I have a heavy cast Iron engine block, and not an alluminum one, I can do a lot with it and not sacrafice too much wear and tear.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The turbo kit on the site that you mentioned is rather cheap in price, and most likely in quality. I also don't like where the intake ends up being, but I don't think there's too much choice there.

Definetly make sure to upgrade brakes and suspesion before the turbo install. No use having all that power if you can't control it.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
personally, if thats your choice of platform, then an intake and exhaust would be one of the first and cheapest but i dont recomend getting a really high flow exhaust because its a kia... thats probobly going to rob you of about 10 horses right there. and a turbo??? for a kia, i dont recommend that. if ur goin turbo you might as well buy a better car and start there. unless you actually wanna boost a kia. but like they said, if your goin the boost route upgrade brakes and suspension and probobly the tires too. but thats the basis for the turbo. since you dont have a high compression ratio in the car it wont break your engine down in record time so youll be ok.
out of curiosity, how much would you be boosting in a kia?
ok, i re-read over the thread and i saw you were thinking about upgrading the injectors, if you are serious, get a different car.

[edit on 16-11-2007 by Bean328]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
you really are starting out with the wrong car man.
i'm a tech, my wife has a kia rio and i used to have a kia sephia...

i tossed the idea around of messing with the sephia for a bit but it it just not worth it...

you're gonna wind up dumping a lot of scratch into a car that has no value..

yeah, the dealer can install the parts and keep your warranty but it's gonna be insane in labor..

the turbo alone is gonna cost you a few grand.

go spend $4500 and get a 1987 buick t-type and work that dude over....it will be a smoker and there are CHEAP mods, all over the place..

do what you will, but i wouldn't mod up the kia...

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Is the engine electronic ?

Does it have a fuel temp
sender ?

Get a rheostat from Radio
Shack, a plug from the
dealer, some wire and VOILA !

Tell the ecu that it has 140 degree
fuel.

It compensates by over-fueling.

If you get the turbo kit, a resistor
placed in the feed wire from the
boost sensor says you have 15 lbs
boost at idle.

Ecu boosts fuel to compensate.

Electronic engines are fun.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Why a kia?I really dont see the point when people buy cars that arent performance orientated at all and than spend a truckload of money to make it fast/cool.Why not just buy a car thats already got decent performance even if you have to buy secondhand and it wouldnt cost you as much to do up?

top topics

join