It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waynos! Are you proud of this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Do you know what's the name of this helicopter?

``````````````````````
fixed title spelling

[edit on 28/2/07 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
it looks like an experimental heli, part of my reasoning for this is that it doesnt have any numbers on it

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I dont know what Waynos will think of the picture, but I sure look forward to his thoughts on what a "prond" is !!

(Only kidding, I assume its a typo and you meant "proud", my spelling isnt always great either)

Err.. I think you will find that this photo is a mockup of an idea, as I vaguely recall seeing this shot years ago. I dont believe it ever flew.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I am sure its a mock up for a high speed sports helo that never flew. I don't know the name of it but my guess is a late 70's/early 80's project from a little known company and not one of the major producers. Which edition of Janes does the picture come from emile?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This mockup of heli named Spitfire IV same as famous fighter made from G.B. in WWII. Photo was taken from JAWA 1982-1983 edition. This is the seond name same as past G.B. aircraft I found, that another one certainly is F-35.
Are there any more?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hawker Typhoon & Eurofighter Typhoon.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Ah, see, I knew it was a Janes piccy

Spitfire Helicopters is a US small helicopter firm (see, I got that bit right as well - not a major manufacturer) and had some success at the beginning of the 1980's building a light helo that was similar in many ways to the Enstrom F28.

As for re-used names, British companies did it all the time, for example the Westland Whirlwind is a WW2 fighter as well as a 1950's helicopter, the Hawker Harrier is a 1930's biplane as well as a 1960's jump jet. The Hawker Fury was a biplane fighter in 1930 and a 460mph monoplane in 1943.

The DH Comet was a small beautiful racer in 1934 and a 4-jet beautiful - if flawed - jetliner two decades later.

related to the Typhoon also was the Hawker Tornado, an identical fighter but with a different engine.

As for British aircraft names re-used by others there is the NA FJ Fury and Boeing F-18 Hornet (DH Hornet - which was also a single seat twin engined fighter).

Another aspect is where British names were adopted by Americans for their own aircraft, this happened in WW2 where the British Air Ministry allocated names were also adopted in the USA, examples being the Douglas C-47 Dakota, North American Mustang, Douglas Havoc and Brewster Buffalo

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
In many respects Waynos the Typhoon, Tornado and Tempest were all developments of the same design. And at one time or another they tried putting the Napier Sabre engine in all three. As well as the Bristol Centaurus in at least two of them, the RR Vulture in only one I think, and the RR Griffon (Prototype on the Tempest only).

All this meant the guys at the Air Ministry office responsible for picking aircraft names must of had a headache everytime a new version of one of the three came out!!

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Ooops, I was not quite correct. The Tornado was not fitted with the Sabre and only 3 were built. The first 2 with RR Vultures and the last with a Centaurus.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
You're on the right lines though, altogether there were 36 different variations on the Typhoon/Tornado/Tempest theme, not forgetting the Fury as well, which began as a reduced weight development of the Tempest. In my opinion the best looking of them all were the very first prototype Tornado (with streamlined nose and Hurricane type radiator) the production Tempest II (Centaurus radial with FW190 based cowl) and the Sabre engined Fury prototype (the fastest piston engined Hawker fighter ever flown). The final design, the 4,000hp, 510mph, 8-blade contraprop equipped Hawker P.1030, might just have trumped them all.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I realise this is getting off track from the original thread (Sorry emile
), but it is amazing the number of "could have been" piston engined fighter developments toward the end of the war. Same goes for some of the truly monstrous engines that were conceptualised or prototyped for use in said aircraft and bombers. Ever hear of the Lycoming XR-7755? Thats seven thousand seven hundred & fifty five CU.I and an eventual 7000SHP!!

Incidently you mentioned the Hawker P.1030 and its 510mph top speed. Ever here of the Australian developed CAC CA-15 "Kangaroo"? Only 1 or 2 prototypes were built, but if it had gone into production it would have probably been the fastest & possibly finest piston engined fighter ever built. It looked like a 'D' model Mustang on steroids. Sadly the prototype was chopped up.

It was to be powered by a RR Griffon and exceded 500mph in a test flight over Melbourne in 1948.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I have a strong suspicion that you will be interested in dusting off this ancient thread.

fastest piston fghter

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
This thread is just so confusing to me, why would someone start a new ATS thread just directed to one person?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
djohn..... While I agree that it is not the norm to do so I do understand emile reasoning. waynos is a huge fan of 1950's to 1980's test aircraft and as such emile wanted to get his openion on said subject. If they're is rulinf etc out there on ATS that says such messages should be sent by mail etc then please address it to emile.

new topics

top topics

join