It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

most people seems to think that aliens would be hostile. why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

if a alien would try to talk with us we would probably bomb them because we was scared

they might be nice.

damn its gonna be nice when we can travel to other planets like in star wars go to bar with aliens lol

[edit on 27-2-2007 by dahl]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think most people perceive aliens as hostile because of the way they have been portrayed in some movies, like Independence Day and War of the Worlds, just to name a few.

I also think the cover up perpetrated by governments has done enormous damage and encourages the general public to think that aliens are bad, evil and mean us harm. It suits the governments to have us living under a constant cloud of fear, it is all part of the social control. They have to keep us in the dark, that is how they remain powerful and make us bend to their will.

I prefer to go against the grain and look forward to the day when aliens show themselves to us and maybe even help us to attain more peaceful relations with our fellow man (read this as - no more wars).

Pie in the sky I know

[edit on 27-2-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
because there are advanced races that might not have our interests in mind. there are bound to be ETs that are worse than us that have developed space travel as well. i think most probably arent hostile but they really dont view us as anything important enough to put that much effort into. they come down here abduct people against their will and tag them. if we are still not spritually advanced enough they would probably wipe us all out for their own benefit. its the same reason if we take ET crafts, for our own benefit

[edit on 27-2-2007 by jemblem62]

[edit on 27-2-2007 by jemblem62]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well, I think it is something that has been ingrained into their psyche. Then all of this "aliens are demons" crappola that you see perpetuated by fundamentalists just furthers the stigma.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It actually all depends on how they evolved as a culture. If they were a war like people like predator then yeah they could take us out no problem. But maybe there are cultures that have evolved to angelic status. I mean war is pretty dumb when you can sit and think about it for billions of years.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'd be hostile to them
.,.CMon you weaky greys

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
It suits the governments to have us living under a constant cloud of fear, it is all part of the social control. They have to keep us in the dark, that is how they remain powerful and make us bend to their will.

I think that is incorrect. It's all too easy to paint a picture of the government as the big nasty wolf as no one likes authority figures or bodies. Saying "bend to their will" is going a little too far, but of course the fad is always to say such things. Governments by no means are perfect or infallible, they're run by humans who are of course imperfect creatures. Just this annoying trend to insist governments are hell bent on controlling us and making us suffer seems ludicrous and really comes down to disullusionment and paranoia and maybe fear rather than anything sinister.

I prefer to go against the grain and look forward to the day when aliens show themselves to us and maybe even help us to attain more peaceful relations with our fellow man (read this as - no more wars).

Well ideally we'd all like aliens to be benign and friendly but just like civilizations in the past have welcomed others with open arms, only to be decimated we still have that fear. Firstly fear of the unknown, we wouldn't know much about them and their capabilities so it only natural to be AT LEAST cautious when dealing with something we do not have much information on. I wouldn't welcome them with placards and roses until I knew enough about them, including their capabilities and their intentions. Then after that I'd be more relaxed about them.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
flyboy,

I am not paranoid, I am not fearful. I have an open mind about aliens, but I would not be doing the placards and roses meet and greet session.

I have a closed mind about governments on this planet, they have shown they are hostile and open to all sorts of exploitation at the expense of the 'little people' to make mega bucks whatever the human cost. They are corrupt because as you so rightly said "they are imperfect creatures".

I do not buy their BS...and hey, I do not have to.

You think I am incorrect...that's fine. I am entilted to my opinion and I certainly do not follow fads (the 'fad' you think I am following has been around for hundreds of years then...CAN NOT THEN BE A FAD...FADS ARE TRANSIENT...COME AND GO). I would suggest that I am a little bit longer in the tooth than you and my life experiences and witnessing of events dictates my opinions.

[edit on 27-2-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I don't think that aliens would be hostile.

If they are anything like huminoid, then they may be able to relate to us. Hopefully they've achieved a level of maturity that they don't go for war and/or violence.

It is possible that they may be so alien that they just can't relate to us.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I think most people project their own feelings onto the alien psyche.

Because humanity is often cruel, greedy and prone to war, we expect that the aliens are like us.

(Or we're AFRAID that they're like us)

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
I think most people project their own feelings onto the alien psyche.

Because humanity is often cruel, greedy and prone to war, we expect that the aliens are like us.

(Or we're AFRAID that they're like us)

Exactly! I think the we tend to percieve other races and we percieve our own. Not to say they would be, but I do believe that there is just as much good out there as there is evil, and vice versa. I believe it to be balanced.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
cruel, greedy and prone to war,

We think these actions are clearly defined. Truth is, they may be perceived in completely different ways in alien minds. I don't even think we can conceptualize exactly how alien they may be.

I've been looking at this post for 30 minutes now; completely stumped.

I can form the idea in my head, but have no way to express it without it being colored in some way by my human-ness.

Did you ever watch an ant on the bark of a tree and think, oh look, that ant's being funny, like the ant was performing a skit?

Ever sit at the picnic table and absent-mindedly mash ants with your finger? From the ant's viewpoint....pretty damned hostile. Not so much from yours, didn't even occur to you, nonetheless...extremely hostile because of the intent. You know you're ending a beings life.

Bear with me here....The family tells a story about an uncle sitting at the breakfast table eating donuts. Again, absent-minded, began picking up 'crumbs' with his fingertip and eating them. Yes, turns out they were ants. Same result from the ants viewpoint...pretty damned hostile. Just a little 'housekeeping' from the uncle's viewpoint.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny I don't even think we can conceptualize exactly how alien they may be.

That's a great point, MrPenny.

I have immediate thoughts about alien hunters in jungles fighting Sylvester Stallone.

Relating humans to ants, though, I don't really buy. How individualistic and cunning are ants? All I can think of is the hive mentality being played out in that realm.

In order for aliens to 'get here' in the first place, they must have evolved into some sort of civilization (as we have).

However, if the aliens were like the ants (or Borg), then perhaps there might be that 'squashing like a bug' scenario.

I'm hoping not.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Its the secrecy if nothing else that creates opinions of hostile extraterrestrials. Would you ever trust a group of creatures that are so secretive that you only ever hear of them from government/media leaks and reports from UFO sightings and abductions? While I do think that ETs aren't actually here to conquer the planet, I cannot consider them friendly given their seemingly subversive actions. Though given how I think our governments treat ETs, that feeling is likely mutual.

I can't even trust my government with all its secrecy. I'm not about to trust a bunch of even stranger beings who also perform that same level of secrecy.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
What Humanity does not Understand, They Fear, And What they Fear they Seek to Destroy.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think a lot of people are of the view that if they aren't for us, they must be against us.
Personally, I just think that they have their own agenda of which we will never know of or be able to understand if we did find out. The reason they are here could be so complicated and convoluted, that it would be pointless explaining it to us.
I also believe that aliens are different just like we are. Some are peaceful, some are sinister. To say that all aliens are harmless would be folly.
It's the ones who mean us harm who give rise to my feelings of reticence in them "coming out". It could only be described as abuse what they have put some abductees through. For someone so supposedly so advanced, I think some of them are just as "primitive" as we are. And I truly believe that once the genie is out of the bottle, there isn't any putting it back in.
Be careful what you wish for.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dahl

if a alien would try to talk with us we would probably bomb them because we was scared

they might be nice.

damn its gonna be nice when we can travel to other planets like in star wars go to bar with aliens lol

[edit on 27-2-2007 by dahl]

why wouldnt they be hostile, we are, lol.

but there are uncountable different types of aliens. the most common ones around here are at least what i call hostile.

im sure some are nice, but i like your star wars analogy. do you remember how that bar was? not exactly a "super friendly" place, but not unlike places we visit here on earth, lol.

plus, if they were so nice, why are they being so secretive???

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
Its the secrecy if nothing else that creates opinions of hostile extraterrestrials. Would you ever trust a group of creatures that are so secretive that you only ever hear of them from government/media leaks and reports from UFO sightings and abductions? While I do think that ETs aren't actually here to conquer the planet, I cannot consider them friendly given their seemingly subversive actions. Though given how I think our governments treat ETs, that feeling is likely mutual.

I can't even trust my government with all its secrecy. I'm not about to trust a bunch of even stranger beings who also perform that same level of secrecy.

amen.

There's way too much reflexive suspicion of governments turning to an assumption that the governments are inventing the ETs are evil (they aren't, they are saying "Huh? What ETs?") and that ETs are really all nice.

If ETs wanted to sing kumbaya and cure cancer, they could go right ahead.

So, far, there's no open evidence they, collectively, give a crap about us.

It would be nice to believe otherwise, but it's also nice to believe in the tooth fairy, when in fact its your dear family who cares about you and not somebody up in the sky.

I don't assume ETs are hostile. No strong evidence thereof. And I don't assume they are benevolent. No strong evidence thereof. At best, I see ambiguous UFO reports and isolated, uncomfirmable (usually by ET design apparently) encounters of which the majority seem quite unpleasant. I think we can rule out (so far) invasion, trade relations, scientific and cultural curiosity (because they'd learn much more if they bothered to talk to us).

I'd assume that if there really are ETs, they are doing something for their own needs and their own reasons. It's pretty obvious that interstellar travel might be pretty expensive and hard, even for an ET, so there must be a reason for THEM to invest an effort and a reason they all do not care to have open relations.

One may consider also the possibility that in ET political circles whatever they are, they may be forbidden by some galactic power from open benefiical interaction even if they had the desire to do so. And also possibly forbidden from hostile action as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   

It suits the governments to have us living under a constant cloud of fear, it is all part of the social control. They have to keep us in the dark, that is how they remain powerful and make us bend to their will.

Quite right! They need us to fear Aliens in the same way we feared the Russians during the cold war so they have an excuse to arm space... We need the high ground before any other Earth Nation like China gets up there. Don't forget that China already shot down a satellite

So Asteroids and Aliens will be the new threats to buy many really big space guns....

Werner von Braun even said it.. that America has 4 manufactured enemies on the list..
Russians.... been there done that they never were our enemy..
Terrorists...we are there now...
Asteroids ---been a lot of talk about them lately...
Aliens... the government will reveal that they do exist and are a threat

So if the Alien invasion is eminent you will all gladly shell out those dollars so the boys can buy space toys... and you will be happy to do it, just like you all were happy to shell out high gas prices because we are at war with Terrorists right now... never mind there is an oil glut and Venezuela despite their rhetoric offered to rplace Arab oil a whole lot cheaper...

Bend over America... Star Wars is coming

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by moderndayHanSolo

plus, if they were so nice, why are they being so secretive???

Because the abductions and mutilations wouldn't sit well with a "hi we came in peace" senario

Besides if they just showed up and announced themselves the world religions would cause utter chaos...

You and I might talk about the Star Wars bar and compare it to any say biker bar on Earth, but the majority of the sheeple would freak out

And it would also depend what they look like...

ET Ewoks, Wookies are critters children have fallen in love with, but if giant galactic cock roaches showed up, you can bet you would be going for the bug spray real quick

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join