It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone told me that if I prayed to God I would get a job

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to pray, he'll starve to death praying for a fish.

Or something.

My point being, prayer is best combined with appropriate action. If you think of it as a magic lamp with a genie that rewards you based upon your requests, umm... probably not going to happen.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
But how does prayer remain special to YOU, the times you do it because "it couldn't hurt?"

As a Unitarian Universalist, I believe in the motto, "Service is our prayer." Very few of us would ever pray in the traditional sense. For the most part, we believe that if you want something to happen, you simply roll up your sleeves and get started. It is what we actually get up and do that makes the difference, not what we might say to any diety.

While I am not about to tell someone that traditional prayer won't work (to each their own, live and let live) I believe that to "pray" for a job involves applying for jobs, writting resumes, preparing for interviews, etc - just as "praying" for the homeless to be fed involves handing them food, volunteering at the homeless shelter, donating money, creating public awareness, or what ever.

This type of "prayer" usually works pretty well, and if it still fails, I know that I have done everything I could have done to make the changes I sought.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Here's my 2c on praying... its BS. I tried it numerous times in the past and in the present... nothing, not a damn thing, not even a job. That is why I'm considering joining the French foreign legion. And with my luck... they're going to reject me.

If you consciously think about something... you're focusing on something.
If you sub-consciously think about something... you're believing in something.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to pray, he'll starve to death praying for a fish.

That was funny.

Sorry for the 1 liner.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Or something.

My point being, prayer is best combined with appropriate action. If you think of it as a magic lamp with a genie that rewards you based upon your requests, umm... probably not going to happen.

LOL, this gave me a good laugh.:shk:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

me 2

You have voted yeahright for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Many have prayed for wondrous things, unthinkable things, unimaginable things, all with great faith. I will do the same tonight. Someone wrote the Lord's prayer, didn't keep it to themselves. I will write my prayer, and not keep it to myself.

Novise's prayer:

Heavenly Father,

I know many people have been praying for me or telling me to pray concerning my job hunt and my life in general.

I know that I am supposed to communicate with you, even though I know not your face, or your immediate thoughts.

It goes against my ideals to ask you for help right now. While everyone says it is the right thing to do, that is not my belief. Not for me.

I am asking you to stay out of it, that I may see the world for what it is. As everything happens through you, I am asking you to do the unthinkable, and allow my life to happen through me.

And even though you know my thoughts have wrestled with this, I have made my decision. I want you to leave me be so I will never gain false hopes or use you for a crutch. And that I will know what has happened has happened without your shield of grace coming to save me from pain. That I will know that there was nothing more that could have been done to ensure that my actions and my choices in this life were meaningful.

I see no stronger way to truly prove to you that I seek to do your will but by doing it without your guidance.

I do not pray for answers, I do not pray for peace, I do not seek comfort. I seek the challenges of life unhindered in their pressing.

I have only one thing to ask of you. One thing that all my faith will rest upon, for this is a scary endeavor for me, as you can see. I wish your blessing in my choice, and respect for my beliefs, I am only asking that you wish me well in my journey. If all things are possible with faith, then I assure you I have faith that we will make our path's cross again.

In Jesus name,

Amen

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Nice prayer Novise.

Now you must truly believe it without a doubt, believe it so greatly and faithfully that you KNOW it will happen.

And if you ever begin to have a bit of doubt, tell the prince of lies to
off.

Continue being faithful brother.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Now you must truly believe it without a doubt, believe it so greatly and faithfully that you KNOW it will happen.

AMEN!

That is IT.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I wanted to try to see Him because I thought I might not pray to Him for a while after this, and I saw this light in my mind, it made my eyes want to squint, even though I was sitting in the dark with my eyes closed...

He said he'd leave the light on, not to help me, but just cause... He said that will be ok cause I already know it is there...

He said we could still talk, but that he promised it wouldn't get in the way of my wishes...

Then he jokingly said, "Are you breaking up with me?" And I laughed really loud...

I have learned there is no reason to ignore Him... Just tell Him what you really think, what you really want... It is what it is... All things are possible.

You don't have to pretend you have this unshakable belief in him, you don't have to pretend you think you can move a mountain... If one thing doesn't work for you, there are a ton more things out there. God the idea, God the God... it doesn't matter as long as you are honest to yourself.

I've learned a lot here, and by pondering theology, but tonight I feel like I did something to better my life... the last way I ever would have thought... in my experience.

I do have faith in my prayer... Though it came out a little differently when I actually prayed it, the idea was the same. I believe in this...

Thanks guys

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hi Novise, As many here have said you can pray for any thing, I always ask our Father that His will and not mine be done in Jesus name.
Because what I want may not be the best for me.
Pray on.
Funny you call your self Novice, I was a postulant for three years in a contemplative order. Postulant is the stage prior to novice. So you made it further than me

WIS

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Novise, i suggest you take more of a christian mystic approach to prayer and see it as more of a way to connect with your spirituality
maybe use it as a confidence booster
but don't expect god to go out of its way to help you get a job

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Hehe, WIS, interesting.. It's supposed to mean two things. Can be read as novice, cause I feel like a novice to all the stuff on this site. Also can read it no vise, which to me means nothing holding me in place, or my thoughts and ideas in place, because a vise is something that holds things in place!

Reason I am so happy about my prayer madness, is that I actually asked God NOT to help me. I don't want to think he is helping me, I've already talked about why I don't believe this (his help) is something I truly want. Your ideas contributed to that too. Now that I've been honest with him, I feel like we are on the same page so to speak.

I have heard "spiritually connect" a bit, I am guessing it is a time where you relax and clear your mind, and appreciate the possibilities? Basically share a moment with your higher power?

I can still do that. I can still believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel... I felt very much like God would support me in my wishes (that He would allow my life to happen through me). That is the only thing I asked of Him.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by Novise]

[edit on 2-3-2007 by Novise]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Novice, may I call you that?
Just thinking, your approach to, not, wishing God to interfere is in a sense parallel to the Lords reply to the devil in the desert.
The devil dared him to fall from the mountain, to prove the angles of God would rescue him.
Jesus declined.

Just a thought.

What do you mean about "prayer madness" ?
WIS

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Sure you can call me Novice.

I was responding to madnessismysoul there, using madness for short.

Yes I remember the story. That's cool that you would think of that. I have thought about it some since praying. It's been an interesting lesson.
I didn't like how that person told me to pray for a job, but I ended up praying about that and my life, just not the way expected. I just feel so at peace with the whole situation now.

It's just funny how people can be right about things
but not in the same way I was thinking (or that they were) I guess?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Sorry if that was in bad taste. If it is prayer (this is a form of manifestation) or high magick, you must back this up with action. Redo your resume, hit the streets looking, or get better at networking.

You must have action, then manifestation will work. God will help you, but you have to help yourself.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
I have learned there is no reason to ignore Him... Just tell Him what you really think, what you really want... It is what it is... All things are possible.

You don't have to pretend you have this unshakable belief in him, you don't have to pretend you think you can move a mountain... If one thing doesn't work for you, there are a ton more things out there. God the idea, God the God... it doesn't matter as long as you are honest to yourself.

That's RIGHT.

He is your friend.
First and foremost.
Plain and simple.
Pure and true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join