It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Exodus' of Iraq's Ancient Minorities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The news that you do not see in CNN, the violence in Iraq is causing various ancient groups of Habitants of the Iraq lands to leave the nation to avoid persecutions, been targeted by death squats and kidnappings.

This groups names are some that we here in American may be very familiar with and others are just biblical names that only the bible mention.

First group mention by minority international is Christians

The Christians, who have lived in Iraq for 2,000 years, survived the Muslim invasion in the 7th century and the Mongol onslaught in the 13th but are now being eradicated as their churches are

Second group are the Mandaeans

They include Mandaeans, whose main prophet is John the Baptist and Yazidis whose religion is an offshoot of Zoroastrianism and may be 4,000 years old

Third the small Jewish community,

Members arrived in chains as slaves, has been all but destroyed by persecution and the pervasive suspicion that Jews have collaborated with the US-led invaders.

www.globalpolicy.org...

I wonder how this exodus will affect the make over of what once use to be the Iraqi nation.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well, they're better off coming to the US. In the past, they wouldn't've had the oppurtunity to move out of iraq in large numbers, even in Hussein's day.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
But if they come to America, then they'll have to live under the oppressive and brutal totalitarian regime that we have.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
But if they come to America, then they'll have to live under the oppressive and brutal totalitarian regime that we have.

Good one Blue. Since we seem to be well known as the most brutal regime in the world where Bush is equivalent to Hitler or worse, we got millions of people around the world risking their lives to get here.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well the Iraqis exiles are asking the US government to allow more Iraqis to be able to get visas or easier entrance to the US because the volatile situation in that nation.

US so far has only accepted about 600, if I am not mistaken after the invasion.

This part of the link kind of hit me hard, after all I love history and ancient history and is a shame when we hear or historical sites been destroyed during wars and when animals go into extinction, but in this instance is one group humans with ancient ties that is going into extinction.

"For Mandaeans, the biggest threat is extinction," said Bashar al-Sabti, a spokesman for the Iraqi Minorities Council. "The killing is equal to three deaths for every one person left alive." Not everybody runs. Mr Sabti, speaking after his jewellery shop in the centre of Baghdad, had been bombed, said: "The body of Iraq is filled with pain and wounds. But we must not grieve this body before it is dead."

Truly sad.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I love history too. It is abysmal, the conditions the Iraqis are living in. It's really sad there's not even a working infrastructure; at least running water.
Seems the people are less free and worse off.

More refugees of oil consumption, like the dwellers of Tivoli, and the indigenous in the Amazon rainforest, except they get the added bonus of being shot at and raped as they die.

Something wicked this way comes.

top topics

join