It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Standard - Christ's Coffin v. Shoah v. Danish Cartoons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Why is it OK to scientifically question the basic tenets of Christianity, with sketchy evidence from thousands of years ago, and herald it in the (controlled by who?) mainstream media, but not OK to scientifically question an historical event of only 60 years ago?

I think resurrection-denial is a hate crime against Christians, and those perpetrating it should be locked up, and not allowed to speak. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander, wouldn't ya say?

As an aside - why no scientific "dig ups" of Mohammed? Because Muslims know how to hit the streets and raise cane (see: Danish Cartoons). As a Christian my other cheek is starting to feel mighty sore. Maybe time for the Muslim response to this kind of attack on Christ!

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So if I don't believe in the resurrection I am guilty of a hate crime against Christians? Somehow I think most of your fellow Christians may disagree but, hey, I'm certainly no expert on that religion.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If I don't believe in the Holocaust, then in many countries I'm guilty of a hate crime. Thanks for making my point.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The double standard is that Christians aren't out rioting, and killing people whenever they hear something they don't like.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LookingIn

Why is it OK to scientifically question the basic tenets of Christianity,

Why the heck shouldnt' it be?

with sketchy evidence from thousands of years ago, and herald it in the (controlled by who?) mainstream media

Who? Is it the 'evviilll jooooos'?

, but not OK to scientifically question an historical event of only 60 years ago?

Its perfectly acceptable to question the holocaust. The problem is, the so-called "Holocaust Deniers" AREN"T scientifically questioning it, they are promoting propaganda that has no basis in reality. They ignore the evidence for the holocaust, ignore the refutation of their own 'scientific and historical' studies, and continue to pimp the big lie that it never happened, or wasn't that bad.

I think resurrection-denial is a hate crime against Christians

Thats pretty silly.

and those perpetrating it should be locked up, and not allowed to speak. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander, wouldn't ya say?

Holocaust denial is illegal, in places like germany, because Nazism is illegal. If you want to compare Christianity to Nazism, then go ahead, but its a pretty baseless comparison.

People speculating on scientific evidence, even if its weak, are hardly the same as people promoting a nazi agenda, INSIDE OF Germany.

As an aside - why no scientific "dig ups" of Mohammed?

They already have a tomb of mohammed.

As a Christian my other cheek is starting to feel mighty sore

Well, too bad. Christ specfically commanded his followers to turn the other cheek, and allow a person to strike them, rather than to fight back. Its ironic that you are talking about 'attacks' on christianity, but are denying one of the major pillars of christianity.

And all that to just be able to promote holocaust denial? Yeesh.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
The double standard is that Christians aren't out rioting, and killing people whenever they hear something they don't like.

I think it's less a double standard and more the fact that Christianity doesn't roll that way. If violence is your forte, you might want to look elsewhere for inspiration.

I think Christianity would see a lot less scrutiny if they were to stop attempting to legislate their version of morality in this country.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
History and a more advanced civilisation has forced the most of Christianity not to do so.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Its perfectly acceptable to question the holocaust.

Clearly you live in a different universe.

And BTW, I don't deny the holocaust. I just wish I had a hammer that big to defend the things I BELIEVE in.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
History and a more advanced civilisation has forced the most of Christianity not to do so.

That and the fact that Christ didn't teach his followers to kill those in disagreement with them. His message was love, redemption, and salvation, as opposed to some other ideologies more prone to violence.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Clearly you live in a different universe.

Who's stopping you from questioning it? You already said you don't live in a country where it is outlawed, because of anti-Nazi laws, and you're here on a popular discussion board discussing it. If people disagree with you, thats hardly the same as being stifled.

And BTW, I don't deny the holocaust. I just wish I had a hammer that big to defend the things I BELIEVE in.

Yeah, well, EVIDENCE tends to make a pretty good 'defense hammer'.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Christians are open to discussion and in general terms support archaelogical research about the bible.

I also convinced that Christians would still support the core beliefs of Jesus.

Personally, I don't believe in either the virgin birth or the ascention to heaven. These were just popular religious things of that age.

Perhaps when Jesus came back from the dead, he came back as a spirit. Then his spirit assended.

However, Muslims are not open to any questions about their belief. If you find evidence that is contrary to the Quran then you would be considered a blasphemer and I'm pretty sure that there would be a fatwah issued for your death.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I also see a double standard.

Anyone remember the comedy central fiasco involving southpark and mohammed?
It seems the media in general will go out of its way to be respectful of all others but christianity.
If the 'religious right' would protest in outrage(like the nipplegate at the superbowl)advertisers would comply and programs like that would not air.
Guess it is not that important to the 'religious right' .

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Christians really don't do well when faced with scientific facts. Their fairy tale religion starts to look shaky in the light of provable scientific priniciples. Yes, I hear the gasps already! I'm not picking on the Christians, I think all of the religious organizations that cling so desperately to their concept of an all-knowing, all-loving God up in the sky that will make it all OK in the end need a reality check. ( I.E.- the New Testament version of God, the Muslim stance on infidels, the Jewish Orthodox zealot's perspective on women and homosexuals, the list is endless...). Before all of you believers blow a gasket, I will say that I truly believe in your right to believe whatever you want, and if your spiritual beliefs bring you peace of mind and happiness in life, that's all the better for you. What are the implications of the possibility that there was no magic ascension? What if Mohammed was just a guy with strong opinions of right and wrong? It's a house of cards...once you find a weakness
( based on scientific fact, or GOD forbid, LOGIC ), it all starts to crumble. Watch now as all of the concerned parties pile on to try to shoot down the evidence, and for that matter, the concept itself. I'm sure there will be an attack on the veracity of science itself. If your religions are true, then you have nothing to worry about anyway. Don't be so insecure in your beliefs. This will be a fun polarizing controversy to watch. The zealot fundametalists will be coming out of the woodwork like a bunch of rats in a Manhattan Taco Bell!

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I think resurrection-denial is a hate crime against Christians, and those perpetrating it should be locked up, and not allowed to speak. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander, wouldn't ya say?

From a fellow Christian - Forgive them and walk away. Persecution and ridicule come with the territory. What other people believe can not hurt you or your faith. It does not matter what others believe. It only matters what you believe.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

That is just plain absurd. So the Jews and members of other religions who don't even believe in Jesus, much less the metaphor that he rose from the dead are perpetrating hate crimes against Christians? What makes you so special? So the majority of the world that is not Christian should be locked up and denied their right to speak? What a fool.

Muhammad died and they have his tomb.

Besides all that stop complaining here and contact Discovery Channel; it is their marketing ploy.

JEEZZZ bloody fanatics!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Why is it OK to scientifically question the basic tenets of Christianity, with sketchy evidence from thousands of years ago, and herald it in the (controlled by who?) mainstream media,

Because it was, well, just a little under 2000 years ago. Were you at the Resurrection? Can you scientifically and logically prove it happened?

but not OK to scientifically question an historical event of only 60 years ago?

Because the evidence that the Holocaust never happened is sketchy at best, unless you want to deny the photos, Nazi, U.S and Soviet records and other evidence and also because there are survivors that can testify to it, unlike Christ's resurrection.

So if I disagree with certain tenets of Christianity I am commiting a 'hate crime'? Also, doesn't that violate freedom of speech laws in most countries?

As an aside - why no scientific "dig ups" of Mohammed? Because Muslims know how to hit the streets and raise cane (see: Danish Cartoons). As a Christian my other cheek is starting to feel mighty sore. Maybe time for the Muslim response to this kind of attack on Christ!

Why? Because chances are this is only a marketing ploy for james Cameron's next movie. Also shouldn't you feel glad that you, and other Christians are more 'advanced' than the Muslims rioting on the streets?

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I think resurrection-denial is a hate crime against Christians, and those perpetrating it should be locked up, and not allowed to speak.

Our Diest (if not flat out Illuminati) founding fathers were afraid you might think that.

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
That and the fact that Christ didn't teach his followers to kill those in disagreement with them. His message was love, redemption, and salvation, as opposed to some other ideologies more prone to violence.

Do you think Mohammed said 'kill all infidels, bomb their countries' etc? All religions and holy texts are open to interpretation, by either liberal or conservative members of said religions.
What about the Spanish Inquisition, Crusades etc? They were all propgated by 'Christians' whose 'god' promoted 'love, redemption, and salvation', yet massacred thousands of 'non-believers'.

Originally posted by shooterbrody
I also see a double standard.

Anyone remember the comedy central fiasco involving southpark and mohammed?

Well in NZ we had our own 'fiasco' over the airing of a South Park episode with, let's just say, the Virgin Mary excreting blood from a certain body part.

Originally posted by shooterbrody
It seems the media in general will go out of its way to be respectful of all others but christianity.
If the 'religious right' would protest in outrage(like the nipplegate at the superbowl)advertisers would comply and programs like that would not air.
Guess it is not that important to the 'religious right' .

Yes but I assume that, in America, you have a little ol' thing called Freedom of Speech and, catering to the whims of any religion, would be violating that, would it not?

[edit on 27-2-2007 by Chaoticar]

[edit on 27-2-2007 by Chaoticar]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I think resurrection-denial is a hate crime against Christians, and those perpetrating it should be locked up, and not allowed to speak.

I will happily, happily go along with this ridiculous law, if you showed me proof that he arose.
Because right now, atleast people are tyring to PROVE he didnt rise...

Im happy for anyone to believe in their faith,
But , if you expect me to be content with your beliefs, you should DAMN well be content, for me having my own.

And I believe the bible, the resurection, and all that gaff to be a very well told 'story'
Because the reality is, he was a man, a living bioloigical being like you and me, and when he died, he decayed and rotted like every other piece of living tissue will.

for you to charge me with HATE crimes because i prefer to look at the reality of a 'human' rather than the 'magical qualities' is pretty far fetched.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Why is it OK to scientifically question the basic tenets of Christianity, with sketchy evidence from thousands of years ago,

Isn't that what Christianity and the resurrection are? Sketchy evidence from thousands of years ago?

Anyway, I say go ahead and question the Holocaust. You have every right. I see no double standard.

No one is telling you what to believe. You don't need a hammer and you don't need to defend your beliefs. But you can't control what other people do or say either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join