It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Akula Class Sub Defects Off Hawaii, Threatens Nuke Launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Seems this is a headline I read in the news, and believe I even heard it on the radio; my friend remembers it too, and wonders how this story was covered up so well.
Does anyone remember, oh, I guess it was eight or ten years ago; a Russian nuke sub defected somewhere to the north of Hawaii, and later sank?
And then the Russians came out later and said it was a torpedo gone haywire that had sunk the sub? I'll tell you one thing; you can't find doodly-squat on the Internet about the incident. Surely if the Russian sailors tried to launch "weapons" without proper authorization, their boat was rigged to meltdown beneath their feet.
Do you think young American naval officers-in-training think about this, and about the fact their own boats may be so rigged?
If anyone can tell me I'm not crazy it'd help; alternately, please tell me you remember this incident. Please don't tell me an Akula isn't a boomer; I was using the name as literary allusion.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It was made into the movie Under Siege with Steven Seagal.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Ohhh . . . now THAT'S sure to cause a searing case of embarrassment . . .

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
They probably do the same thing with experimental craft based on advanced technology. Anything else would be a huge risk if their toy gets into the hands of their enemy. Highly possible and logical.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hello

I haven’t heard about an Akula sub sinking off Hawaii, but what you say reminds me a lot of an episode that happened in 1974 when a Soviet Golf II class sub carrying 3 SS-N-5 nuclear missiles sank off the Hawaiian islands.

The CIA managed to raise part of it during a salvage operation codenamed Project Jennifer. They used a ship named Glomar Explorer a ship owned by Howard Hughes, and modified especially for the operation.

The Discovery channel had a very good documentary about Project Jennifer some time ago.

Here are some links:

Project Jennifer

Project Jennifer Wikipedia article

top topics

join