It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirits and Smells

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Im new to this site but I saw something interesting through a search I was doing on Ask.Com. I was searching for information on death related smells. Lately I have been smelling flowers in all the wierdest places. I have only had this happen to me since my brother died and its particularly roses that I smell. Does this mean he is there at that present time? Someone HELP ME IM SO CURIOUS!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I've heard people saying that death smells like a variety of things, from flowers to cigar smoke. I have had my own personal experience with the "smell of death" phenomenon... however, mine was pre-death, whereas most people have theirs after someone dies.

A few years back, I was camping with my family. We went over to my dad's friend's trailor, and I commented to my mom, "It smells like death in here". She wasn't sure what I meant, and to be honest I really didn't know either. But the next day, my dad's friend killed himself.

I describe the smell as "embalming fluid", but I have no idea what that actually smells like, so it's hard to explain or know if that is an accurate choice. I have tried to pinpoint it, but I can't. Kind of a hospital-y smell, I guess.

I have smelled it a few times since then, but nobody immediately died afterwards that I was aware of.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsFortino07
Im new to this site but I saw something interesting through a search I was doing on Ask.Com. I was searching for information on death related smells. Lately I have been smelling flowers in all the wierdest places. I have only had this happen to me since my brother died and its particularly roses that I smell. Does this mean he is there at that present time? Someone HELP ME IM SO CURIOUS!

Yes somebody is,

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
sights not the only sense that people can precog with. theres hearing smell and even taste

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I started out smellling flowers before some female I knew died. Now I just know it is coming sometimes I smell flowers or heavy cologne or what I remeber that person smelled like so I know who is dieing.. Sometimes I know it is coming but transfer it to my self and find out the next day it was a cousin, friend or neighbor,
Hope this helps

Dichromatic

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I get smells like that all the time & guess what...nobody dies.

If it keeps happening and someone dies soon afterward, then...you're gifted, if not...just a coincidense.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Start with the normal things. Do these smells occur while you are near a place that sells flowers? Or maybe a factory which produces chemicals? The slightest draft can carry a smell (even if it's not that strong) a significant distance.

Ghosts tend to cast an electromagnetic field into their surroundings in order to accomplish their goal. In this case it may have interacted with your brain to cause a "flowery smell". Did you purchase a bouqet of various flowers for your brother's funeral? He may be attempting to give you a sign that he's with you. Purchase a compass with a free-swinging needle ($5) and you'll be able to determine if an EM-field is near you. (It should deviate from the normal magnetic field of the Earth.) You have to remember that our brains rely on electric impulses in order to communicate with other aspects of our body. It may be something non-paranormal, such as passing by an unshielded curcuit breaker box. Ruling out all other possible causes are the first steps in determining if something is truely paranormal.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I've been smeeling a floral scent since I was pregnant with my seven month old (i'm pregnant again) It comes and goes sometimes quick sometimes lingers, yesterday was the strongest, it was like it was on top of me but I turned away and couldn't smell it until I turned back, then it disappeared- I was watching my bubby crawling around, the only person if its someone we know is my husbands nanna who died a while ago, could it be her? can it travel with you? I started from a caravan to a house then another house, it doesn't go away, and I do sometimes get chills. Also there is something else that happens to me I feel when something is going to happen or is happening and get strange sensations with it- can any one answer me?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
.. and fortunately for him his death came within 48 hours of medical diagnosis. He had no preference for burial or cremation and it was a unanimous family decision to cremate his body.
The crematorium had a roof collapse one day before his body was sheduled to be cremated.
I and other family members individualy witnessed the smell of burning flesh in many different locations. I was particularly sensitive to this smell even though no cremation had taken place. In the supermarket, the library, and a few other locations I recall being 'haunted' by this distinctive aroma. On the day of his cremation this smell vanished and never returned. I have no explaination why this happened. Maybe certain fragrances are a signature of the departed...who knows!

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
As i said some people get premonitions through smell. so try to translate what your brains trying to tell you through smell. is it a bad smell or a good smell? does it remind you of anyone? not always the case but you would be surprised how few people even know about this form of premonition

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I have very very randomly smelled my grandmothers perfume..I have only experienced that i would say 4 times since she died in July of 06
I like when it happens though. I know she's just saying whats up!

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadge
I have very very randomly smelled my grandmothers perfume..I have only experienced that i would say 4 times since she died in July of 06
I like when it happens though. I know she's just saying whats up!

Ive had that before, and instantly recognised that pleasant smell, to my late nans perfume, was years ago now.

I have heard that spirits sometimes are associated with smells of different types.

I sometimes get a cold sensation, say on my leg, or hand, don't think i got bad circulation lol, but it kinda raises the hair on the back of my neck, well used to, since loosing my sister, it does not scare me anymore, only comforts me that she may be around sometimes.

I think thats how spirits work, peeking into our lives now and then.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsFortino07

Hi.

I think, the smell relating to death has not yet anything to do with spirits. Spirits however can recover old smells, feelings, etc. Smells are the only, people can remember since birth.

Do you mean spirits as ghosts? Maybe the spirit of loved ones? Flowers are wonderful gifts to the dead ones, too.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think Spirits and smells are related~ Mostly ppl smell of burning and flower. I heard that~ good or bad spirits have difference types of smell.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sometimes I don't know if it is his nanna, it seems to follow me, if i'm in a room alone it's suddenly there then disappears, I even tried speaking and saying stuff like - I really would love to see you not just smell you, give me a cloe who you are, I can't help you if you don't speak. Am I going nuts!!, anyone know how to reveal them? If its something to do with my baby and its my hubbys nan why is it following me?

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
yeah I believe ghosts can have an associated smell..

my mother (who hates me talking about ghosts) says that she smells flowers at weird times.....she says that it smells like my grandmother (whos been dead for four years)..I said maybe it is nana but she told me theres no such thing

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Yeppers. I believe that aromas/scents can be a sign of communication from someone passed on. Especially if it triggers a specific thought or memory associated with that person. One of the biggest triggers in your memory is your sense of smell.
Of course there are going to be lots of random smells out and about and everytime you might catch a scent it won't be spirits smakin' ya' upside your nostrils.
But I think you'll know it for what it is when it happens. Scents can carry on the air but they dissapate quite quickly as well.
If you're smelling something that can't be easily explained and it triggers a emotional/sentimental response, stop to think about those memories and who or what they are associated with. Let yourself accept them for what they are, whether real or imagined, and be happy for the emotional response they trigger. Although it might bring a sadness...just remember, it might be a loved one saying, "I'm still around" or "remember when?"

Most people have busy minds with day to day business to take care of.
How many actually take the time to quiet their thoughts to hear. A busy mind is so filled with clutter....how easy it would be to naturally put a random thought aside and say it was your own. A scent to trigger a thought or memory gets through the noise of your mind a bit easier.

IMO of course.

[edit on 6-5-2007 by Scytale]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Interesting topic!

The last time I saw my dad was in a chappel of rest. Occasionally I smell the same smell, usually when I am alone, thinking of him or at a low point.

Would love to believe he was there, however I do always associate the smell with him and I am comforted by it.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

Two months ago i smelled the literal smell of death in my front room=, i called my dad and asked if he was okay. Two weeks later the doc founf a tumor in his chest that turns out to be stage 4 cancer. Last week i smelled honeysuckle all day. Anyone knows what this means?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicky. L
Sometimes I don't know if it is his nanna, it seems to follow me, if i'm in a room alone it's suddenly there then disappears, I even tried speaking and saying stuff like - I really would love to see you not just smell you, give me a cloe who you are, I can't help you if you don't speak. Am I going nuts!!, anyone know how to reveal them? If its something to do with my baby and its my hubbys nan why is it following me?

Sounds like she's just coming around to see that you and the little one and the one you're expecting are okay - they would be her greatgrandchildren. Spirits of family do things like that, they pop in now and again - doesn't matter where you are, they like to visit sometimes. She's probably not there because she wants anything from you, if she did, then she'd find a way to let you know.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join