It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Colossal Snail caught on tape"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
The video clip may seem odd, like it's a series of photos rather than a video clip, but there's no question that snails of that size are real...

That's not what I am questioning. I'm questening the fact that the house on the back of that snail looks nowhere like one on the back of an african giant snail.

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Assuming that this is a REAL giant slug, it is obviously NOT harmful by reason of the fact that a person is holding it without being damaged.

She might have fell down dead, the second after the movie was done!

(Little Tidbit) From my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, snails will emit a 'gooey' trail behind itself to facilitate movement to some degree, and also to excrete horomones to initiate sexual reproduction.

They do, and that was also one of the things I was questioning, since I find it weird that the snail doesnt seem to emit any goo what so ever on that footage. Especially as it moves.. We should be able to see some in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
That's not what I am questioning. I'm questening the fact that the house on the back of that snail looks nowhere like one on the back of an african giant snail.

The "house" (I take it you're referring to the shell?) doesn't need to be exactly the same for each and every Giant African snail. Keep in mind that a snail’s shell (the combination of the patterns and grooves and spiral) is unique to each snail, like a fingerprint is unique to every human. Meaning you'll never find two shells that are identical. Also keep in mind that there 32 "different" snails in the Genus Achatina, 23 in the Genus Archachatina, and so on and so on. The superfamily Achatinoidae is huge (literally and physically...
) and just as big if you go down to the Achatinidae family. It would be very difficult for any Tom, Dick and Harry to identify exactly which subspecies the snail is, only from the video.

Err... Did I have a point? Oh yes. It's easy to dismiss a difference or differences in snails' shells (between that in the video, and that in any picture search you would do for instance), and one can even expect it.

I'm sure I had a clearer point to make.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That is soooooo cool!

I want one! I want one! I want one!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I have eaten Whelks (Sea Snails) that size. They are quite tasty!! Never thought about keeping one as a pet though. Kinda hard to play fetch with.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think it looks so cute

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join