It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Long Will Canned Foods Last?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
My questions are about how long food can be considered safe for consumption. I am referring to things like canned goods and dry supplies. Also, bottled liquids.

Canned beans, tuna, vegetables, etc. How long are they good for? Bottled water, or soda?

If there is an expiration date for canned foods, what risks do you run if you eat food that is expired?

I understand that any foods that require refrigeration are a different consideration.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
jsobecky,

I think you'll find this link quite helpful and informative.

www.a1usa.net...

Here's a brief excerpt:

In order to maintain freshness within the suggested expiration dates, food should be stored in a dry, cool location. Discard any food product exhibiting changed color, odor, or taste. Storage temperature has a great influence on shelf life. Per Del Monte – a 15-degree change reduces expected shelf life by 50% (ideal temp is 65; if stored at 80, then shelf life is reduced by 50%). Do not freeze canned goods; the added moisture may cause the seams to swell and burst during thawing.

There's a pretty good itemized chart as well.

Hope this helps.

[edit: forgot "think" in first sentence.]

[edit on 26-2-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Personally I seek out only canned items that have a shelf life, or expriation date on them.

As for dry goods, (Rice, beans, pastas) humidity plays a factor I believe, but usually these types of items can be stored for literally years, given proper storage. (cool dark place in a sealed container. preferably in something like Tupperware, where you can create a "vaccuum", by squeezing out excess air)

1 and a half cents.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thanks, folks. 12m, that is an excellenent link.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Just one point I thought I'd make...

You have to be careful with bottled water, since you mentioned it, as the plastic will eventually start to leech into the water, and it is filled with carcinogens and other chemicals.

I would imagine aluminum cans do the same thing over a long enough period of time, although I've never heard one way or the other.

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin

You have to be careful with bottled water, since you mentioned it, as the plastic will eventually start to leech into the water, and it is filled with carcinogens and other chemicals.

I would imagine aluminum cans do the same thing over a long enough period of time, although I've never heard one way or the other.

Given that, what is the best way to store water? Ceramic? Glass?

[edit on 2/26/07 by mel1962]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the best way to store water is glass. Of course if you are storing your water in glass containers either in your house for emergency reasons or your "go to" place you may want to think about buying some bubble wrap...seriously.

And here's a site with a chart on MRE shelf life versus temperature:

www.mrefoods.com...

There are lots of options out there other than canned food...all right not lots of options but lots of companies that produce MRE's and dried goods, even "gourmet" MRE's.

Good luck.

Spiderj

Oh as usual I am not affiliated with the above linked site in anyway.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
I'm pretty sure the best way to store water is glass. Of course if you are storing your water in glass containers either in your house for emergency reasons or your "go to" place you may want to think about buying some bubble wrap...seriously.

And here's a site with a chart on MRE shelf life versus temperature:

www.mrefoods.com...

There are lots of options out there other than canned food...all right not lots of options but lots of companies that produce MRE's and dried goods, even "gourmet" MRE's.

Good luck.

Spiderj

Oh as usual I am not affiliated with the above linked site in anyway.

Thanks spider for the link!

Now, I can buy other things beside can goods, dry goods, gold, silver, etc!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Now, I can buy other things beside can goods, dry goods, gold, silver, etc!

No problemo, always glad to help out...thanks for reminding me though I gots to stock up on my precious and semi precious metals.

Spiderj

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a real good dry products (beans, rice ect...) storage container that can be obtained easily(i didn't mean you should steal them, really i didn't) is those stainless steel soda chargers for fountain drinks. the can be easily modified to take a vacuum and are nearly indestructible, had you enough of them water could be stored there in also. you can get food grade 55 gal drums from mot places that process food then i paint them with snow coat a chick insulating coating that blocks light ( water in all it's various forms, no matter how nasty(excluding radioactivity) can be reclaimed it doesn't good bad it becomes contaminated ) glass is good but fragile and should be stored in other containers that can be impact proofed( 55 gal steel drums packed with clothing or sand or whatever) you can use an old fashion still just like they make moonshine with to reclaim water.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Do not ever use aluminum to store water or anything else. Aluminum is A cause of alzheimer's disease. There is aluminum in alot of things we use everyday and part of the problem is we are being over exoposed. Antacids, deodorant, water, and cooking utincils all have aluminum in them. Autoposy of alzheimers victims have shown elevated aluminum in the brain as compared to non alzheimers patients. It isnt the total cause but a piece of the puzzle. After watching my grandmother die with alzheimers we got rid of every thing Aluminum. We use cast iron pans only now and for stomach upset we look for non aluminum based antacids. There are a few deodorants out there if you look hard enough. Just minamise your exposure as much as possible to survive with your brain intact to a ripe old age.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Thanks, I never even thought about plastic containers for water.

From all the responses here, it seems like glazed pottery or stainless steel containers are the preferred methods, right?

Of course, fresh water is the best choice, but there is no guarantee that it will be available.

Which brings up another question: How do you know if that clear little creek is actually safe for drinking? Test kits, or do you simply boil?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I too have concerns regarding fresh water sources. Would a swimming pool water be suitable for drinking. chlorine is added, with a few others. Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Water should always be circulated or used. Stored water will pick up impurities from whatever vessel it's stored. If the feces hits the rotary air moving device, you probably won't live long enough to worry about Alzheimer's Disease. Use the cleanest, strongest vessel you can to store your water and if possible filter and purify your water before drinking it. If you have your own land, build a root cellar. Even in hot humid places like where I live, Texas, a well insulated and properly designed root cellar will be at 70 degrees F when the outside air is over 100 degrees.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
We have big blue water barrels that we got from a survivalist store. I think they are 55 gallon drums. We try to change the water in them every 6 months.

When buying canned goods always make sure there are no dents in the cans. I was told that this could cause the cans to not last as long. We rotate our cans rather frequently so we have almost never reached the end of the shelf life.

We also buy dry goods in sealed and air vacuumed survivalist buckets. One time one of them cracked and exploded in our basement! WOW! That was loud!

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

When buying canned goods always make sure there are no dents in the cans. I was told that this could cause the cans to not last as long. We rotate our cans rather frequently so we have almost never reached the end of the shelf life.

Yes, I have heard that about dented cans. One more thing to look out for.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm a big Spam fan. For now, i just have Spam and crackers. No water. I dont suppose i'm much of a survavalist. I think the blue barrells FF mentioned are the best.
I suppose i better get some water. Oh wait!!! Cape Cod will be totally UNDER water...is that a moot point?
Strange, i always thought i'd die underwater for some reason.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Dents in cans aren't as big a worry now as in the past. Old cans were made with seams that, if dented, could compromise the integrity of the can. Now most canned goods come in cans that are made from a single piece of metal with the only seam being where the top is join to the can.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
If the feces hits the rotary air moving device, you probably won't live long enough to worry about Alzheimer's Disease.

In an emergency your right but what about storing water or anything else for that matter for lean times. There are many different forms of survival. SHTF is just one, but not the only. IMHO the everyday survival is more inporton. Surviving from day to day in our messed up fast paced world is tuff, this being the survival forums these topicks need to be talked about.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican

Do not ever use aluminum to store water or anything else. Aluminum is A cause of alzheimer's disease. There is aluminum in alot of things we use everyday and part of the problem is we are being over exoposed. Antacids, deodorant, water, and cooking utincils all have aluminum in them. Autoposy of alzheimers victims have shown elevated aluminum in the brain as compared to non alzheimers patients. It isnt the total cause but a piece of the puzzle. After watching my grandmother die with alzheimers we got rid of every thing Aluminum. We use cast iron pans only now and for stomach upset we look for non aluminum based antacids. There are a few deodorants out there if you look hard enough. Just minamise your exposure as much as possible to survive with your brain intact to a ripe old age.

I read about this many years ago and stopped buying deodarant with aluminum. Old Spice has been my preferred since. Just about anything that is an anti- will have aluminum so go with deodarant. I've also steered clear of aluminum cans.... beer in bottles only now..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join