It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

good rpgs on the pc?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hi everyone, i was wondering, i'm getting a pc soon and was hoping if anyone on here might know of any non mmorpgs? I can't seem to find a website that doesn't put them all together in one category. If anyone that could help, it's much appreciated, later.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Funny thing...I was just thinking about grabbing an RPG myself and I've been "working" here at "work" trying to figure out the best one right now.

As far as I can tell, the highest rated recent RPG is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Can anyone confirm the awesomeness of this game for us??!?

I know there's a lot of very promising RPGs slated for '07 too...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
all of the elder scrolls rpgs are good even the early one's if you can get beyond the dated graphics, i find a lot of games today substitute good graphics for good content. the might and magic games 6,7,8 were good 6 being the best IMHO. if you want real old school find a copy of the magic candle a very detailed and content rich game set in an enormous arena, but the graphics are 30 years out of date just barley out of the text era but a game you can really get into. fable was OK and some of the wizardry series were also good. although not an rpg as such the diablo 1 and 2 along with the expansion pack are excellent time killers as is dungeon keeper 2. deus ex was on the same line as many rpg and was excellent but deus ex 2 well it didn't stink it just didn't live up to the series .

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Olblivion kept me pretty busy for a longtime..Plus theres lots of free downloads extra content ie. equiptment/armor, quests and game tweaks..That will keep you busy even longer..Has to be one of the best RPG's of alltime..

[edit on 3/4/2007 by gotanybob]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
if you can get your hands on a copy and somehow get it to work the pc port of final fantasy 7......nuff' said

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Coolest RPG Ever: Fallout & Fallout 2

Fallout uses random number "dice rolls" to determine things that happen in combat and elsewhere. Only you dont see the dice. Also you build up your skill in any of about 20 areas. From small arms to self healing and stealing. Its a great dystopian type game of a post-apocalyptic world. Takes place in the future wasteland of California. Lots of cool weapons and characters. In part 2 you can have 3 guys follow you, and drive a car. I still play part2 every now and again. You can install it fully onto your pc so there's no cd-rom lag. Oh and there's alot of funny stuff in it too; like movie references and the background characters and character interactions have alot of funny lines. You will want to save your game alot because sometimes it's just too tempting to piss someone off then see how many you can kill. You also can create your own character and determine their attributes, skills, and perks.

I'm not a big rpg player by the way, so I don't know if hard core rpg players like it.

It's and old game so there's not any mind blowing cut scenes, and you don't need a superduper graphics card or lots of memory/ram.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
As mentioned above the Fallout series. Baldurs Gate series.

I'm not a big rpg player by the way, so I don't know if hard core rpg players like it.

The Fallout Series is seen as part of the pinicle of RPG development in the 90s. ALong with Baldurs Gate 2(which is considered by many Hardcore RPGers to be the Best RPG of ALL time) the 90s had a dearth of excellent(if more or less buggy) cRPGs. A lot of us "Old timers" even look back with nostalgia at the old "Goldbox D&D Dragonlance Games". Hard as hell but damn they were state of the art at the time and were at the top of the Video Game industry at the time. RPGs have sorta died out due to the massive efforts required to build a believable fantasy world.

Knights of the Old Republic (Not 2 which is a rushed out POS, I don't blame the developer, I blame the publisher in that case).

Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind and 4 Oblivion(though it'll need some heafty requirements).

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2

Basically any RPG made by Bioware, The Old Interplay, and the Old Old Sierra(though they were more Action RPGs, the Quest for Glory series except 5, the neat thing with that series is you could actually carry your character over from game to game, so each game he starts out more powerful in a different land, its a very very old game though so it'll be hard to find)

Diablo, Diablo 2. Action RPGs with an online component. People still play online too and the last time they patched Diablo 2 was just before WoW came out.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Okay, not a Pure RPG but it has RPG elements.
It's still a kickass game.

Guild Wars. It's an MMO without a subscription fee. Nuff said.

And finally, the game that started me on computer RPGs, Darklands! It was 12 3'5" diskettes when it came it, it was a stellar game back then and has yet to be matched in pure attention to detail and immersion. The god damn manual was over a 100 pages!?!

[edit on 23-3-2007 by sardion2000]

[edit on 23-3-2007 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

join