It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Robot Reduces Need for Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Researchers from Ritsumeikan University and the Shiga University of Medical Science completed work on a miniature robot prototype that, once inserted into the body through an incision, can be freely controlled to perform medical treatment and capture images of affected areas.
The plastic-encased minibot, which measures 2 cm (0.8 inch) in length and 1 cm (0.4 inch) in diameter, can be maneuvered through the body by controlling an external magnetic field applied near the patient.

While other types of miniature swallowable robots have been developed in the past, their role has mostly been limited to capturing images inside the body.
According to Ritsumeikan University professor Masaaki Makikawa, this new prototype robot has the ability to perform treatment inside the body, eliminating the need for surgery in some cases.

SOURCE:
PinkTentacle.com

A very cool robot, that I hope will be developed further and put in use.

Being able to reduce the amount of surgeries done, can not only
reduce costs, but also can reduce the risks that go along with surgery.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Reminds me of that movie made in the sixties called fantastic voyage i believe. A ship and crew are miniaturized then implanted in a person to perform surgery.As to post would'nt it be amazing if these mini's could repair dying cells thus increasing human longevity?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

would'nt it be amazing if these mini's could repair dying cells thus increasing human longevity?

Well these robots are far to large to ever really do that.

However, with further advancements in the nanotechnology sector,
eventaully we will have medites (MEDical nanITES) that can do that.

new topics

join