It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel seeks all clear for Iran air strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Israel is negotiating with the United States for permission to fly over Iraq as part of a plan to attack Iran's nuclear facilities, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

To conduct surgical air strikes against Iran's nuclear programme, Israeli war planes would need to fly across Iraq. But to do so the Israeli military authorities in Tel Aviv need permission from the Pentagon.

A senior Israeli defence official said negotiations were now underway between the two countries for the US-led coalition in Iraq to provide an "air corridor" in the event of the Israeli government deciding on unilateral military action to prevent Teheran developing nuclear weapons.

Telegraph

Something isn't right here. If they would be really planning to attack Iran, why would they be so frank about it? Israel in particular, history has shown they don't disclose such things all too often.

The fact that Iran will be very hard to hit makes me wonder whether the assertion that Israel is planning a strike on Syria is justified? Particularly since Syria is suspected of being a transit ''port'' for Hezbollah's cause and since Syria has a massive number of artillery units, with which it could harm Israel badly. It's strange, in all of the sudden Syria seems to be of no importance to the media anymore and thus to those who control the media.

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Mdv2]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I don't trust a "newspaper website", Christ, I could have a site like that up and running.

When it's reported by the Washington Post, NY Times or you see a story on CNN then MAYBE I'll consider the story legit and even THAT is a maybe.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Israel denied on Saturday that it was in negotiations with the U.S. authorities over permission for an "air corridor" over Iraq as part of a plan to attack Iran's nuclear facilities, the Yedioth Ahronoth daily reported.

The UK's Daily Telegraph reported on Saturday morning that Israel is negotiating with the United States for permission to fly over Iraq, in case the Jewish nation is to conduct surgical air strikes against Iran's nuclear facilities.

The newspaper quoted a senior Israeli defense official as saying that "the only way to do this is to fly through U.S.- controlled air space." Meanwhile, the official said that negotiations were underway between the two countries.

However, Israeli Deputy Defense Minister Ephraim Sneh denied the report on Saturday, saying that any talk of an Israeli offensive against Iran was speculative only, the Yedioth Ahronoth daily said.

You might be right but on the other hands:

(IsraelNN.com) Strategic Affairs Minister Avigdor Lieberman, chairman of Russian immigrant party Yisrael Beiteinu said that the Jewish State will not be able to depend on the international community to protect Israel from the Iranian threat. The Strategic Affairs Minister said bluntly that the world will not defend Israel against a nuclear Iran.

“We will have to face the Iranians alone, Lieberman said in an interview broadcast on Israel Radio. Israel cannot remain with its arms folded, waiting patiently for Iran to develop non-conventional weapons.”

Source

I wouldn't be surprised if Israel becomes the 2nd country in mankind's history that actually uses nuclear weapons.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Mdv2:

Its premeditated sabre ratteling at the moment. However that said, I think it far more likely that as you say Syria is the target.

With the American fleet in the Gulf growing by the day. The US could be looking for an excuse to jump in should Iran rush to Syrias defence.

I just can't can't see a direct attack on Iran without some kind of Tonkin event, getting the backing that a possible nuclear strike and the opening of Pandorras box requires. A badly misjudged move by those incharge in Iran could be all it will take to get that approval.

George W's trying to get the Mullahs to flinch. KAAaaaHHHhhhhBooooom!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seeker PI
I just can't see a direct attack on Iran without some kind of Tonkin event, getting the backing that a possible nuclear strike and the opening of Pandorras box requires.

For nuclear assaults, yes, it would require a token event as you mentioned... however, for the US to wage war with a country, it takes nothing at all. As we've seen with Iraq.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Listen, did any of you guys actual read this bogus article??? You know who is quoted?? A "senior Isreali defense official" and a "high-ranking British source".

Please, start a thread about a REAL topic with REAL people involved and REAL events.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It is funny to observe how Israel and United States are constantly saying that the military strike is their "LAST" option, yet they are conducting drills and test operations and having entire new think tanks created especially on Iran.

If diplomacy is still on the table, why isn't the Israeli foreign minister on his way to Iran to settle the conflict peacefully? How many times was Secretary of State on her way to Teheran as we speak and why is she flying in almost every country around Iran, but not going there to do some of that diplomacy?

It looks like somebody already decided (could it be the DECIDER?) that the attack on Iran is on, the only question is just When.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I dunno, I see Iran if they were going to go at this alone would need the upmost surprise on the initial strike.....

I doubt they'd allow info such as this to leak... thinking in terms of the 6-day war.

But there are so many bs reports like this coming out tooo.. so maybe they are trying to flood the airways with so many bogus ones, so the iranians eveantually dont take notice and BAM!

I think its Clear Iran have no intention of stopping, and bowing to the west.
Israel have no intention of allowing them to reach stage X
And the US are stuck right in the middle, very vulnerable.

Its a matter of When, not IF!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I dunno, I see Iran if they were going to go at this alone would need the upmost surprise on the initial strike.....

I doubt they'd allow info such as this to leak

See, everyone keeps saying that, however I am thinking that Iran knows the range on the strike jets and therefore knows they would have to come through Iraq or up from the south if they could land in the UAE or Kuwait for fuel.

It isn’t like it's a huge surprise and they are giving away the game plan.

Besides, if they are taking their lead from the US in our Iraq 1 and 2 wars, they are just giving the Iranians on the ground plenty of time to shake in their boots and think about how fast they can run when the planes show up. After all, most soldiers will do their job if surprised into it, however given a week to think about the fight and those you leave behind can be quite sobering. Trust me, I know from experience how hard the choice to join combat can be if you have time to stew about it.

new topics

top topics

join