It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese Child to be Removed From Parents

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
On a side note, you guys in the US must be aware of the current "ban trans-fat" movements sweeping the nation. I know its easy and almost reflexive to blame the big evil corporations for not telling the most stupid of us not to eat their poison but maybe you guys have all forgotten, it was the government that pushed the use of trans-fats in the first place. It was supposed to be a healthier alternative to saturated fats.

Coincidentally the government pushed for the wide spread use of corn syrup as well. Gotta love that high fructose!

So before you jump all over the "corporations want to kill us" bandwagon think about why these poisons are in circulation in the first place. Think about the FDA and CDC and how many legislators are on the take.

The companies dont want to kill us generally speaking. We buy their crap. Without us theres no them. The government on the other hand, well, lets just say the more people there are, the harder it is to govern.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I watched a bit of it last night on telly. If you look at the mother she is no slim shady either. Why should money be spent on her and her kid to help them, and besides do what exactly?????. When he goes back home she will still feed him junk. She should give him healthy foods, if he doesn't eat it let him starve until he does.
Over here in the UK they are advertising one type of bread with an invisible crust and another without any because most little darlings don't like it. That's were it starts. From there they go on demanding all sorts of things and the parents just comply and when it goes belly up they blame the government for not doing something about it.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I just watched a clip of the mother and son and now have a different outlook on this. It is obvious the mother is doing nothing to help the kid at all. The clip I saw shows her sitting by him while he stuffs himself with food. If she cared she would not give him a plate full of food like that. They also mentioned he gets a big mac and fries every day. Hello big red flag goes off. Take the kid away is what I say now. I had my reservations at first but not now :shk:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis

Originally posted by osram
The proper solution would be to leave the child with the mother, and help both of 'em to live a healthy life. Or do you want to say it is very "healthy" to take a child away from the mother? Is THAT what you really want to tell us?

Did you properly read into this story? The kid had been with the mother for 8 years and was extremely unhealthy and getting worse. I mean he even missed most of his school life because of it. The poor kid could hardly fit his already oversized jeans on, how is that healthy or acceptable? People offered to help them and the mother just ignored them, so it was either the child services step in or the kid doesn't even live into adulthood.

Don't call people ignorant when you're the one who's ignoring the facts.

The facts? Which facts? The facts you emotionally perceive through some tiny piece of propaganda-movie?

The fact that the child will be taken away from the mother?

This is the only fact i can see here at all. And i repeat: for you guys there is only one solution. Ambivalent. Take the kid away, or do not take it away.

There is no healthy median solution. You love letting the tremendously "benevolent" government pick a solution and think for you. Rather than thinking up a better solution. Or even better; Look for the true cause, and be efficient.

But guess what. It's not about efficiency. And the cost doesn't matter either. If the cost was factor, they would find an efficient solution to help her and the child. But this is not the case. Profit is good for them anyway. And what do you think generates more costs? Helping her and find a solution @ home? Or: Giving the child into whatever institutions, cost of medical and psychological treatment. Cost of pharmaceutical symptom-treatment AND the costs which arise because of destroying a family and probably paying a lifetime social support for both of 'em.

And the money is not the question to be honest. It's worthless money. They can print as much they want. And that's it. Period.

No one will even dare to think about the true cause for this mother's psychological deterioration. Because as I said, there is only "one solution". The true cause is the government. Sadly enough such a question is not valid. You would be discredited and made ridiculous if you dare to mention a true solution; another way, or fighting the true cause.

It is after all a moral question. And that's exactly the point the ignorants don't grasp yet. Moral says: To take a child away from the mother, is a crime.
If this example will become legitimate you can congratulate yourselves for paving the path for the government to "legally" take away children from their parents due to more and more ridiculous reasons. Congratulations for having lost another "Fundamental Right". As you guys always are those who are taking the Pro-Government, pro-Onesolution position.. again and again.. no matter how ridiculously obvious a moral problem is. You pick it again and again.. while one right after another is being stripped off us people.

Apparently the majority is doing something wrong. It has no common or moral sense. Because i am evidently taking the position of the minority.
And look at what happened until now. We don't even have human rights in any first world country anymore. No right to live, and no right to speak out.

Do you want to say that we have come this far due to the "minority's" stance/opinion? Or might it be the ignorant majority's stance who brought us this far? Tell me?

That's the only question. A moral question.

You guys apparently don't care about moral. Nor do you care about humanity's future and destiny.

The majority has completely forgot to focus on their own hearts. You guys have forgot to imagine how you would like to be treated in the same situation.

Instead you are sitting there and pointing at the mother; "Yeah! take away the child.. give it to her. it's HER fault! I bet it's causing less costs and it's more efficient to take her child away!"

Spreading negativity to other human beings, because you guys are negative inside. No one cares about the "heart" anymore. Or being nice to others, with compassion. And imagine about how you feel when they come for your children due to ridiculous justifications.

Let's hope it wont happen to any of us. But it will. And it will be with much more bitterness, when you remember that you pointed at this mother. With prejudice and vile judgement. Like the german people pointed at the jews and other minorities. When they spit into their faces and sent them to death.

It's happening all the time. Over and over again. No one seems to care about history. No one seems to care about what could happen to themselves.

And afterwards most german people said; "Yeah.. but I didn't know that they were going to be sent into a concentration camp. I didn't know they were going to be killed there." Completely ignoring reality because they are too weak to face it. Mumbling some brainwashed Bullcrap. Acting like Zombies. The walking dead.

And i will tell you something: When we once again arrive at the state of Holocaust-Horrors.. only this time it will be MUCH worse. Imagine what can be done with today's technology. Then we will have true Hell on Earth. You can't even imagine...

Look at what's happening. Look at the past, and the future. And look at the situation/problem with moral respect. Listen to your hearts and intuitions..

...And maybe you will understand what i am writing here.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   

You guys apparently don't care about moral.

The majority has completely forgot to focus on their own hearts. You guys have forgot to imagine how you would like to be treated in the same situation.

Tell me, where are the morals in deliberately letting a child develop heart problems, taking away a child's education and making your child a target of heckling and bullying?

IMO they are much worse than child services threatening to take the child away for a bit to get him on the right track. At least he won't die in the end of that situation.

Nor do you care about humanity's future and destiny.

Humanity has developed and survived on the basis of 'survival of the fittest'. How is letting our children be fat and unhealthy and develop heart diseases good for humanity's future and destiny?

Instead you are sitting there and pointing at the mother; "Yeah! take away the child.. give it to her. it's HER fault! I bet it's causing less costs and it's more efficient to take her child away!"

It IS her fault! She was offered help countless times but just ignored it because that was the easiest thing to do! The child services had to step in or else the mother's negligence would have meant an early death for the poor kid!

Anyway it seems the social services and the mother have made an agreement that the child can stay as long as the mother bucks up her ideas. (MSNBC)
This is the healthy median that you said couldn't exist. Because the kid gets to stay at home, but he doesn't die!

But if social services hadn't have stepped in, the child would still have been getting fatter and fatter, so it was necessary for them to step in with those threats, even if they didn't enforce them in the end.

[edit on 28/2/2007 by malganis]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lizziex3

)....unless there is a medical condition, there is no excuse for a fat kid. None.

Have you ever heard of genetics? Some people are just naturally fat. Everyone in my family is very active and usually eats right, yet all of us are still chubby. I would not call being obese abuse. At all. Sometimes it just can't be helped. Watching everything your kid eats and pushing her to exercise all the time seems more like abuse to me. I hope your kid doesn't develop an eating disorder when she grows up.

People are not naturally FAT, that's BS, it's an EXCUSE....there is a difference between 'chubby' and 'obese'.

Making excuses doesn't change reality. what is your version of 'eating right'? She plays soccer and basketball...willingly, it's not like I force her to do sit-ups. Also, giving her an orange instead of potato chips will not create an eating disorder.

It's people like you that make excuses and hide behind them that cause the obesity epidemic.

[edit on 28-2-2007 by sky1]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I think it's often a case of bad information, poor education, a lack of variety in a diet and the fact that people don't exercise as much as they did. I'm lucky, I live near Epping Forest in Essex, so I can go walking every night and every weekend, for at least 40-odd minutes. It's a habit these days, but it keeps me slim (plus I can kick the odd log and work out any tensions from work
).
This kid sounds like he's never been given any serious food options in his life - apart from the processed kind. Yuck.
The really serious problem in the States - where I was looked on as a wierdo for wanting to walk around the bits of Oregon I visited last year - is going to be the increase in diabetes as a by-product of obesity. I think the CDC has a map showing the increases. I'll take a look.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Here you are - there's a truly scary powerpoint presentation. It's just a series of maps, but when you see the trends.... brrr. Scary.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind
The really serious problem in the States - where I was looked on as a wierdo for wanting to walk around the bits of Oregon I visited last year

Haha why? Don't people from Oregon ever go for walks? lol

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas

Originally posted by Flighty
Everyone should applaud MCDONALDS and other fast food outlets who brainwashed 2 generations of low IQers that they could eat supersizes without mentioning the side effect of Obesity, until a few years ago when fat people started to sue. The wonders of capitalism and irresponsible advertising.
Will the western world ever recover?

McDonald's never advertised their food as low-cal or low-fat ... everyone who eats at a fast food joint is either well aware of how bad the food is for you or is incredibly stupid. Like anything else it's okay on ocassion but not for every day consumption. edited down

It wasn't untill recently that MCDONALDS would even put out the fat and calorie content of their food. They resisted for years until, like I said fat people started to sue which made them more responsible and less secretive.
They even now have salads, fruit, low fat pastas etc on their menus.
They made, kicking and screaming, the changes so people could make a valid choice and SEE what was exactly in the food they were eating.
It's hard to make healthy decisions when information was being purposefully
hidden.

And as for cigarettes, it's a apples and oranges really. Except tobacco companies were lying about cigarettes and didn't put health warning etc on smokes until the last few years. The amount of smokers taking up the habit has dropped remarkedly since.
So there does seem to be a marked improvement once people start suing and when these companies are socially cohersed to be more responsible.

I wouldn't go as far as Prince Charlie to say MCDONALDS should be banned but I think they shouldn't be allowed to advertise anymore. I think after 30 odd years we all know McDonalds exist and where to find them and it wouldn't hurt them to not advertise but it would save a lot of kids of getting fat. You'd see kids getting healthier in a very shorter period of time if they banned ALL junk food advertising. Subliminal advertising works that's why they do it. It does affect children when they see an ad and it makes them want to eat junk food.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Obesity is the worst in America. I went to the mall the other day, and counted every ten people I came across. Eight out of those ten people were classified as morbidly obese. When your stomach hangs about 4 inches over your waist, or you have a pouch under anothe pouch, you need help. It's sad that someone, somewhere, made being obese OK. It's not. It's about self respect and about dropping that damn TWINKIE! Don't go to McDonalds, make your own food, and in limited quantities. It's sad, you see an extremely large parent with Extremely large children and think to yourself...for each child there will be at least two more just like them. It's a social problem more than a personal problem. These people need positive influence!

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas
McDonald's never advertised their food as low-cal or low-fat ... everyone who eats at a fast food joint is either well aware of how bad the food is for you or is incredibly stupid. Like anything else it's okay on ocassion but not for every day consumption. edited down

I wouldn't go as far as Prince Charlie to say MCDONALDS should be banned but I think they shouldn't be allowed to advertise anymore. I think after 30 odd years we all know McDonalds exist and where to find them and it wouldn't hurt them to not advertise but it would save a lot of kids of getting fat. You'd see kids getting healthier in a very shorter period of time if they banned ALL junk food advertising. Subliminal advertising works that's why they do it. It does affect children when they see an ad and it makes them want to eat junk food.

I guess it comes down to what type of government you want and how much intrustion you'd like them to impart in your daily life. Personally I don't want the government to allow me to eat or not eat what others decide is healthy, regardless of it trans-fat or other illicit ingredients. I can read a label and make an informed decision. I don't have to be a food expert to realize if I eat fast food 3-5 times a week I'll probably be putting on some weight.

I can also have an occasional indulgence without killing myself. People are responsible for their own actions (or inactions) and my choices shouldn't be limited by their inability for self control.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join