It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate emails like this!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Attn:Sir/Madam,

I would like to request your assistance in a business
transaction of mutual benefit, I am an American and a member of The U.
S. Agency for International Development (USAID), our committee is in
charge of contracts awards and payment for all contractors who executes
contracts in the rebuilding of Iraq. We are currently in London for the
payment of some contractors who executed contracts in Iraq.

For more
about our operations log on to www.rebuild-iraq-expo.com...:
There was an over draft contract we just discovered for 50 Million GBP
and with our influence in this panel we can successfully present you/or
your company to claim the above funds. We have agreed to share the
money thus:

1. 20% You.
2. 70% for us (the officials)
3. 10% to be
used in settling taxation and all local and foreign expenses.

Please
note that this transaction is 100% safe and we hope to commence the
transfer latest seven (7) banking days from the date of the receipt of
the following information via e-mail of your Full name/ company's name
if any, Tel. & Fax Nos.

The above information will enable us write
letters of claim and job description respectively. This way, we will
use your company's name to re-apply for payment and re-award the
contract in your company's name. We are looking forward to doing this
business with you and solicit your confidentiality in this transaction.
Please acknowledge the receipt of this letter using the above e-mail me
[email protected])
I will bring you into the complete
picture of this pending project when I have heard from you.

Yours
faithfully,

Mr.Frank taylor

(from my inbox)

I get about 5 emails like this every month, same crap. different name at the end. what really gets me is i dont know who the hell these people are and some how they got my email! now they want my financial information for a "secure" tranaction.

theyre not getting anything it stinks of a scam. dont be fooled by words like secure. anyone can claim that. if you get an email similar to this, your best bet is to delete.

anybody else get something similar???

[edit on 26-2-2007 by misterfantastic]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
LOL!! Yeah I get some crazy ones..Relatives I didn't know I have that have business opportunity's of a lifetime lol!! I wonder if anyone one actually falls for them??

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Oh yeah. I get tons of those but not just from USAID, there's one from some bank in morocco, zimbabwe, argentina, germany. It's just a small part of a large scale phishing scam. I don't even read those anymore.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
how do i make them STOP???

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I get about 15 of these a day in my gmail account. I get over 300 spam messages in a few days in that account too. I wonder if thats because the address is [email protected] or not? hahaha

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Well I've tried the email filters but that doesn't seem to work real well..So now I have multiple email accounts lol!!

[edit on 2/26/2007 by gotanybob]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
I get about 15 of these a day in my gmail account. I get over 300 spam messages in a few days in that account too. I wonder if thats because the address is [email protected] or not? hahaha

probably drives you a little bit crazy dont it?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I would tell them that what they are proposing is fraud against the US government and your forwarding their E-Mail to the state department…

That should shut them up.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
I would tell them that what they are proposing is fraud against the US government and your forwarding their E-Mail to the state department…

That should shut them up.

whats the state depatment gonna do about it exacty?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Wouldn’t they handle government fraud at a international level?
If not then put in the agency that would.
Basically they are asking your company to claim it preformed a contract for the US government, which they did not, and now want to be paid for… That is fraud.
Even if its Fishing its still fraud, so it might scare them off.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Wouldn’t they handle government fraud at a international level?
If not then put in the agency that would.
Basically they are asking your company to claim it preformed a contract for the US government, which they did not, and now want to be paid for… That is fraud.
Even if its Fishing its still fraud, so it might scare them off.

oh i was not sure what their purpose was as i was not aware of them... but thanks maybe that will get em to shut up!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
it looks like its patterned after the Nigerian/419 Scam otherwise known as Advance Fee Fraud

here are a couple of sites with more info regarding this matter:

419 Coalition
419 Eater
Snopes Nigerian Scam Article
Wikipedia - Advance Fee Fraud

Disclaimer: some of these sites advocate "scam-baiting" as a sport, please do so at your own risk.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Thing is that they seem like they are targeting companies, or people that have businesses. In reality I find it hard to believe that this would work, that there would not be some oversight board that would review who actually preformed a contract or sub contract, but then who knows. Obviously there are a lot of sleazy corporate deals going on in Iraq.

This part specifically though is major league fraud…

letters of claim and job description respectively. This way, we will
use your company's name to re-apply for payment and re-award the
contract in your company's name.

Fraudulently saying you or your company preformed a service on a government contract is a major felony.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
If you post your email on any webpage, blog, or forum, scammers will use email finders to search pages and send them back to the person. The person will then add your email to a list and mass send scam emails such as that one. If you would like to protect yourself, always add a (at) instead of @ when posting your email in public. ex. you(at)yahoo.com

If you're already getting the emails, notify your email provider about it and they will block their IP range for you. If you can get their IP as well, do a WHOISIP lookup and contact their ISP provider about the abuse, and they too will take action.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Oh @*#$. Are you guys saying that I shouldn't have started a new bank account for that royal Nigerian prince?!? I am still waiting for my share of the reward; I check my account every day.
And that email sounded so sincere as well . . .

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Do what I do.....SCAMBAIT!!!

Lead them on with promises of wealth and riches, but complicate things with mis-sent documents, lawyers etc etc

I started a seperate account to deal with any scams I get which puts me as the head of a prestigious, wealthy, international technology company that manufactures computers but has recently begun to work on prosthetics.... prosthetic bodies that is, and our crowning achievement...

THE CYBERMAN!!!

(obviously I take out the bbc bit and the URL and replace it with a huge CYBUS INDUSTRIES logo!)

[edit on 26/2/07 by JackofBlades]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
or you can do this.

[edit on 26-2-2007 by toreishi]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
How many rich African's does it take to install a light bulb. God how many are there that think we are that stupid.

PS JackofBlades I read your post and I love you man. You rock. That's freaken awesome what you did. Keep doing it and make them suffer.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by misterfantastic
probably drives you a little bit crazy dont it?

I created the georgewalkerbush account for a joke when I sent mail to my friends, but the amount of spam I now receive in that account makes me want to delete it.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I get this garbage all the time. At least one scam email a day. Depending on my mood I either just delete the thing or I mark it as spam or if I am realy ticked off I reply with;

Who the
do you think your trying to fool? I get so sick of these
ing emails. I hope your mother gets
ed by a rabid goat and your father gets his
cut off. You mother
ers should realy
ing die. I hate these god
ed emails so much that it makes me want to print them out and shove them down your
ing throat. I hope that someone finds you and ties you down and
you in the
repeatedly with a broom handle. You make me
ing sick you mother
ers. Does anyone actualy fall for this stupid
ing
anymore?

Thats the clean version what I usualy send is much more filthy and doesnt contain

top topics

join