It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hague Rules Serbia On Genocide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   

The Hague Rules Serbia On Genocide

Source Link: news.bbc.co.uk

The UN's highest court is set to make a landmark ruling in the first case of a state charged with genocide.

If the Bosnian suit is successful, it will be the first time a state, rather than an individual or group, has been held responsible for genocide.

Bosnia could then seek billions of dollars in compensation from Serbia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bakutoday.net
news.scotsman.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bombs Found in Srebrenica Memorial Centre

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
This might get bad. Who knows what could come from this news. Seems the world is going bonkers and has been for a while now. Am keeping a close eye on stories like this.

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Slash]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Landmark?

Now that is something right?

Too bad that in the Yugoslav Civil War basicly ALL sides were involved into genocide: Serbs killed Bosnians and Croats, Croats killed Serbs and Bosnians and Bosnians killed Serbs and Croats. There is no doubt about that. So I can hardly call this a "Landmark ruling". Lucky for all presidents of all 3 countries of former Yugoslavia, who were involved in severe fighting are already dead, since they all could be held in Hague - well Milosevic was in Hague, but Alija Izetbegovic and Franjo Tudzman should also have joined him in the cell without any problems.

I would not say a landmark - but more like, showing the people that there is "some kind of justice" still in this world, in the world where actually there is NO more just at all. So this is just a show.

[edit on 26/2/07 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Latest update from source link:

"Court clears Serbia of genocide"

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Latest update from source link:

"Court clears Serbia of genocide"

Well I am kind of surprised I must say.

The UN's highest court at The Hague has cleared Serbia of direct responsibility for genocide during the Bosnian war of the 1990s.

But the International Court of Justice also said Serbia violated international law by failing to prevent the 1995 massacre at Srebrenica.

Well who takes the "direct responsibility" now?

The UN?

And I also have a question:

If the Serbs have violated international law by failing to prevent Srebrenica massacre - what exactly have the Dutch violated, for also FAILING to prevent the Srebranica massacre, but they also gave their "peacekeepers" MEDALS? I mean that is not exactly something you should be proud of and keep a medal for...

[edit on 26/2/07 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Srebrenica massacre

massacre, that's the keyword. Massacre - Genocide. There's a difference. Two different words, two different meanings. There were many massacres commited by both sides during that war. Srebrenica was a massacre, not genocide. It was a very tragic event. War is Hell.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
massacre, that's the keyword. Massacre - Genocide. There's a difference. Two different words, two different meanings. There were many massacres commited by both sides during that war. Srebrenica was a massacre, not genocide. It was a very tragic event. War is Hell.

I see where you are getting at.

But that is just a problem of semantics: genocide vs massacre.

Actually there have been many massacres commited by ALL sides in the Yugoslav Civil war - and if Genocide is;

acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; and forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Then Each of the sides should be accused of Genocide, since they all broke laws and conventions and they all wanted to create ethnicly "clean" states, which today more or less are; so the Genocide was a success from all sides, because now the borders of the countries also (more or less) represent national, ethnic and religious borders as well. Not alot of Serbs living in Croatia or Bosnia; not alot of Bosnians living in Serbia or Croatia; not alot of Croats living in Bosnia or Serbia.

If you want Equal Rights and Justice for ALL, then punish ALL of them Equally!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

If the Serbs have violated international law by failing to prevent Srebrenica massacre - what exactly have the Dutch violated, for also FAILING to prevent the Srebranica massacre, but they also gave their "peacekeepers" MEDALS? I mean that is not exactly something you should be proud of and keep a medal for...

The Dutch UN peacekeeping force had ony light armored vehicles and handweapons, and thety were only to use in selfdefense.

It's unfair to blame them. Like in Rwanda goes back to UN.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
The Dutch UN peacekeeping force had ony light armored vehicles and handweapons, and thety were only to use in selfdefense.

Excuse me, but they did NOTHING to prevent this massacre. True there were only 500 men against an overwhelming 15,000 strong Serbian army of military and para-military formations, but they were still under UN falg. Why did they just stand still and do Nothing? Why didn't they call for reinforcements? Why did they call for airstrikes? Why didn't they request any sort of HELP? And why didn't they at least surrender properly, instead of - as eyewitnesses say - even assisting the Serbs? And why did the Dutch commander in charge, Colonel Ton Karremans, even drink a toast with mass murderer Ratko Mladic whose Serbian troops were wreaking havoc outside?

Read on:

Srebenica Widows Sue UN, Dutch Government

And then Sabaheta saw something she still can barely believe: A group of Serbian soldiers ran across some Dutch troops - and the soldiers greeted one another happily. They threw their caps in the air and some even hugged one another.

First of all, in contradiction to their UN orders, the Dutch troops did not protect the Muslims, so that the population became an unprotected target for the Serbs. Secondly, the Dutch authorities were slow to report the atrocities to the UN - which is why no additional help was sent.

Dutch troops lined up with the Serbian Chetniks as if nothing had happened. The UN soldiers had helped to separate the Muslim men from their families. Zumra Sehomerovic saw her husband once more, standing in a ditch on the left side of the road. He was never seen again.

"A few soldiers collaborated with the Serbs out of fear." But the Dutch government and the United Nations should never have exposed such "completely unprepared people" to a situation where serious shooting was taking place.

The role of Duth UN force in Srebrenica is completly and utterly SHAMEFUL - not just for the United Natons, but also for Holland. They did absouletly Nothing to prevent the massacre in Srebrenice and Netherlands should have been accused of massacre in the same was as Serbia is.

Instead the Dutch Army gave their UN troops in Bosnia Medals.

FOR WHAT?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
FOR WHAT? Souljah.

For creating an event for the history books, and to divert and smear the facts. And I believe them to be true. (ed to add) The facts of course.

Do I have to say I neither condone, nor defend the Dutch. I"ve heard many grausammes accounts from the Balkans, quite a few of them about Screbenica.

I like to read it all, because, where I've heard about the passitivity of the Dutch and reports on some degree of coorperation, I've not heard of this kinda fraternization ...but your link is blank page.

Think it could be fixed?

[edit on 26-2-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
I like to read it all, because, where I've heard about the passitivity of the Dutch and reports on some degree of coorperation, I've not heard of this kinda fraternization ...but your link is blank page.

Think it could be fixed?

Well the link to Der Spiegel works for me.

Try this one:

CIVPOL.org : Srebenica Widows Sue UN, Dutch Government

It holds exactly the same Article, translated from German.

Hope it works.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
After reading the article I can only agree, it should have consequences for the involed. The Dutch officers in charge should, if not face, answer to the Hague tribunal about their involvement.

I find such behavior just as disgusting as the Serbs.

top topics

join