It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are There people Who Think They Can Stop Climate Change?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Even after the IPCC report says at the end that Global Warming cannot be stopped nomatter what we do, still you get people who think they can stop it.

Apparently some people are afraid to lose the illusion that they have any control over the Earth's climate.

No matter what the evidence says, nomatter how many times evidence is found that past climatic changes have been abrupt and worse than the current one we are going through; and nomatter all the evidence that Climate Change is "natural and that mankind can do nothing at all to stop it", some people still want to grasp an illusion that "we can stop nature, we can stop the sun's activity from increasing, we can stop the increase in magmatic/seismic activity which is warming our oceans, and we can stop it because we are the masters of the Universe"....

The way i see it these people are afraid, because the hope that "they can stop Climate Change" is the only thing they have to grab onto.

They need to hold on to this illusion because in their minds it is the only hope they have to stop abrupt Climate Change, Climate Changes which have happened at least a couple dozen times in the last 15,000 years.

But despite those facts, still some people want to hold onto their illusion of being able to control and stop Climate Change, or as it is often times called Global Warming. At the end hope is not going to give anyone any powers to stop Climate Change.

If people don't wake up and realize that what they must do is "prepare for any changes that are coming", all that is going to happen is that their hope will be taken from them "abruptly" by nature, and then what will they hold onto?....

What will happen when they are caught unprepared and their hope is destroyed by the natural cycles of nature?

That's what this thread is about, what will happen to these people who "want to believe nomatter what that mankind can control Climate Change".

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'm not so sure that people want to 'stop climate change' per se, but rather reverse the effects of Global Warming, which in this case is a term used to describe the effects of humans on the global climate, on top of normal climate change.

I know it is pretty much impossible to stop climate change, as it is simply a part of a natural cycle our planet goes though. But it IS POSSIBLE, if anyone of any significance can be bothered, to SLOW DOWN the rate at which humans effect the Earths climate, i.e. slow down Global Warming.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Why are there people who think they can't fill a bucket with drops of water?

Sorry for the oneliner but it best describes my sentiments.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I think its a good thing for people to be conscious of their actions. There are many benefits for living a less wasteful lifestyle, and I believe people should embrace them.

Examples-
Reducing gasoline usage saves money, puts less CO2 in the air, and keeps money in America.

Eating locally grown produce is healthier, saves money, supports local economies, and cuts down on CO2 used to grow, transport, and package your usual food items.

With every action a person can take, there is an opportunity cost. What did I give up in making this choice? It all boils down to people's percieved ideas of what's important to them. In the coming years, we will see new and less wasteful ways of satisfying basic human needs. So please don't deride people for carrying their own weight in today's society.

TJ11240

[edit on 2/25/07 by TJ11240]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by shizzle5150
Why are there people who think they can't fill a bucket with drops of water?

Sorry for the oneliner but it best describes my sentiments.

Because I need to fill an accumulator with 600L of water and run it through a boiler, I aint got time to fill it up with drops.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Well, by running it through the boiler, you have evaporated some water that will sooner or later be a drop. I understand your time crunch but appreciate your drop in the bucket none the less.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Those that never try are doomed to failure and cowards fear a challenge.

Why not surrender to climate change? Because most don't want known as be defeatists, deadbeats, nihilists and losers who prefer sticking their head up their asses and giving up before attempting to overcome a challenge and/or taking steps to reduce risks. Those same type of dumb asses said we couldn't go to the moon or told Columbus he'd sail over edge of the Earth. As for the activists, they are not so stupid to believe their attempts are successful, until they actually achieve results. Blind faith need not apply and those foolish enough to not take any precautionary measures and solely rely on technology to save them are also dumb asses.

Eco-fatalism is for wimps UK Times
Ignore the pessimists: we can do a heck of a lot to curb the catastrophic effects of climate change

EARTH’S DOMINANT species is entering its Neo-Fatalistic Period. For a long time, Homo sapiens was in denial that an expanding population would strain the planet. It denied that greenhouse gases were changing the climate. It denied that the problem was man-made. Then suddenly, in less time than it takes for a virus to jump the species barrier, this erstwhile scepticism leapt from denial to despair.

Fatalism is contagious. By wringing their hands about the difficulty of making international agreements, the cost of technology, and public bolshiness, commentators, business people, and (privately) many politicians only encourage inertia about a problem that seems too far off to switch on the danger light in most brains.

The New Math of Alternative Energy Wall Street Journal
Fighting the New Defeatism on Climate Change Huffpo

No guts, no glory....offer the cowards euthanasia or they can get with the program.

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Wow, what a "scientific achievement, posting photoshopped pictures on someone's dellusion on what debating a topic is all about"....

I also find it extremely interesting that the above sort of response are being allowed, time, after time, after time...

Perhaps someone wants to bring up their magical wand and stop Climate change all by themselves....

Anyways, back to the topic at hand...

I really want to find out exactly how is it that the people who believe Global Warming, or "Climate Change" as it should be properly called, can be stopped.

The Oceans are warming, and this is due to an increase in magmatic and seismic activity we are currently undergoing. When oceans are warmer they release more CO2, which our oceans contain 98.5% of all CO2 found on Earth. How do you stop, or mitigate that?...

Earth is recieving more cosmic rays, and the associated charged particles, which include hot plasma, ions, and nucleons, silicates, graphite, metals and organic compounds, all of which can be found in interstellar clouds, and these have been able to reach Earth during the times when the cycles of the sun are "relatively" calm.

When the activity on the sun is picked up, there is more radiation from the Sun reaching Earth because Earth's magnetic field is weaker than it has been for the past 780,000 years. How exactly do you stop, or mitigate any of the above?...

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
When the activity on the sun is picked up, there is more radiation from the Sun reaching Earth because Earth's magnetic field is weaker than it has been for the past 780,000 years. How exactly do you stop, or mitigate any of the above?...

It takes no artistic talent, brains or balls to be a cheese eating surrender monkey that do nothing more than make excuses to do more of nothing, and few are stupid enough to assume that role and surrender to the fates. So who is so stupid to buy into a do nothing be a dumb sheep plan?

Cosmic rays are not out of the norms, humans are:
ulysses.sr.unh.edu...

Doing something about the climate is based on called pioneer spirit and what America was founded upon in we never give up. It's kn own as risk reduction where you have to try in order to succeed.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

It takes no artistic talent, brains or balls to be a cheese eating surrender monkey that do nothing more than make excuses to do more of nothing, and few are stupid enough to assume that role and surrender to the fates. ....

Wow, with the above statement I just got a mental picture of someone wearing an astronaut suit holding a rope which is tied to the model of an arc behind him, and he is running up and down his house yelling "I CAN STOP GLOBAL WARMING ALL BY MYSELF.... I CAN STOP GLOBAL WARMING ALL BY MYSELF..."

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Regenmacher, do you live under a rock?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Risk reduction is for people wise enough, concerned about their children's children and have the courage to do something about it. Lucky for us we had Edison, Einstein and a Tesla deciding they would meet a challenge and not give up cause some cowardly idiot told them it would never work.

So as is before it shall be again in that it's get with the program or stay the hell out of the way. Those the wish to surrender to the fates without trying are cowards and predestine themselves to be failure. Maybe the best way to reduce the greenhouse effect is to give climate change cowards an easy way out through state assisted euthanasia, where less of them = more resources for the fighters. So cull the parasites...those that want to sit on their butts and do nothing can do it in the here after.

You can pretty much bet if climate change brings on economic collapse and panic, heads will be rolling and it won't be voluntary then.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Tony Blair has the answer to global warming, tax us all out of existence, thereby ensuring the survival of the richest / connected

Seriously though, despite all the talk of climate change and mankinds (and womankinds) actions and effects on the planet causing the current problems, I still think it's a natural process. Sure, we may have contributed to it and helped speed up the process a bit but there is nothing we can do to stop it. What we can try to do is to adapt to the effects, something that all governments need to do. The socio-economic effects of drastic climate change in some regions could be the cause of conflict as wars may well be fought over basic things like water or arable land. As one region becomes drier the people will have to migrate, as long as neighbouring regions allow them to cross borders. If that doesn't happen then we are all in for a very bad time indeed.

I have read a few reports in the last few months of ships reporting gas sensors causing alarms on board, not from any ship borne source but triggered by deep ocean releases of methane rising to the surface. This could well be another catalyst to an accelerated process, along with all the carbon dioxide and methane being released by areas that were once permafrost but which are now melting rapidly. There is simply no way to stop the process, we just need to look ahead at what we can do to lessen the impact rather than let the governments impose hair-brained schemes on the masses. Unfortunately our leaders seem to care little for subject other than viewing it as a money making scheme

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Because you can't do anything about it, shouldn't be an excuse to help it.

If you saw a friend being mobbed by a crowd of people, would you join in because you couldn't do anything about it?

It's your planet, be responsible with it. Have some respect for it.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
I really want to find out exactly how is it that the people who believe Global Warming, or "Climate Change" as it should be properly called, can be stopped.

The Oceans are warming, and this is due to an increase in magmatic and seismic activity we are currently undergoing. When oceans are warmer they release more CO2, which our oceans contain 98.5% of all CO2 found on Earth. How do you stop, or mitigate that?...

It is true that the oceans are warming, however it is not due to an increase in 'magmatic' or seismic activity. That is simply factually untrue.

The solubility of CO2 in water does decrease with temperature but the oceans are not CO2 saturated, otherwise sea water would be like club soda.
Then there is the factual scientific observations that the amount of CO2 in the oceans is increasing.

This is less relevant to climate than the CO2 which is high in the stratosphere where it causes the greenhouse effect.

Earth is recieving more cosmic rays, and the associated charged particles, which include hot plasma, ions, and nucleons, silicates, graphite, metals and organic compounds, all of which can be found in interstellar clouds, and these have been able to reach Earth during the times when the cycles of the sun are "relatively" calm.

You can't change the Sun, but such has not been the problem or is not currently the problem now. The 'radiation' that you talk about (solar wind, etc) is not directly relevant as energy transfer. Almost all of the Sun's energy which is critical to the Earth's climate is in the visible light spectrum, as it's pretty close to a blackbody. If the solar wind has an effect on the greenhouse effect in the stratosphere then it may be an indirect effect on the Earth's climate.
The Sun has been looked at, and is doing its normal thing.

However, man's CO2 emissions are rapidly growing (and yes, they can tell that these emissions are from fossil fuels and not natural due to the difference in isotopic ratios), and the greenhouse effect is strengthening significantly. These are currently observed scientific facts.

In sum, the issue is that there are natural and human caused climate forcings. There is no current evidence that there is strong or potentially large changes in the natural forcing. There is major evidence that there is strong changes due to human forcing.

This is why people believe that we can do something about the climate chagne that we are creating.

Please get scientific information on global warming not from ATS, not from Gore's movie, but www.realclimate.org

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel
Please get scientific information on global warming not from ATS, not from Gore's movie, but www.realclimate.org

Right...hear the "truth" from the same man that brought us the "Hockey stick graph" and tried a dissapearing act of the Medieval Warming period and the Little Ice Age events...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I will also add people should never take advice from those who predicate irresponsible destructive lifestyles, because such advice is designed to increase usury and victimization in those who follow it. Some call them godless evil parasites of society and their methods are designed to increase the numbers of people that they can feed upon.

Here's some more sites to learn from:

www.nodc.noaa.gov...
lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov...
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

www.giss.nasa.gov...
gcmd.nasa.gov...

www.usgcrp.gov...
yosemite.epa.gov...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I will also add people should never take advice from those who predicate irresponsible destructive lifestyles, because such advice is designed to increase usury and victimization in those who follow it. Some call them godless evil parasites of society and their methods are designed to increase the numbers of people that they can feed upon.

Wow, is that how you earned your title of "scholar"?... Perhaps I should be more insulting towards people just to get that title.... and since when did i ever say that people should "lead destructive lifestyles"?....

If you want to "curb pollution, excellent, but curbing pollution is not going to stop or mitigate Climate Change....... Blaming mankind for something we didn't cause, and then name calling those who point out the "ignorant interpretation of scientific data by the scum of the Earth, who apparently want to make money by blaming mankind for something we have no control of" is not helping you any.

Here's some more sites to learn from:

Are those the same websites that taught you that the Earth is "an almost closed system and there is no external factor that affects the climate more than mankind"?....

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Let's actually do some research on one of the links provided by the Rainmaker, also known as Regenmacher.

Science FAQ
Human activities are adding greenhouse gases – pollutants that trap in Earth's heat – to the atmosphere at a faster rate than at any time over the past several thousand years.

yosemite.epa.gov...

CO2 is a pollutant?...wow, yep, that's real science fact alright.....

I guess you better stop breathing Regenmacher...you should follow the advice they are apparently giving, stop breathing right now before you pollute the Earth more..... So go help mankind a little, get a gun, point it at your head, and make the world a better place by pulling the trigger...but first make sure there is a round chambered.....maybe two just in case you survive the first shot.....

Hey, "one less evil parasite" breathing out CO2 will help plenty...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
well Muadib!

the following is not a cooking course!
:-)

once we were in a soup a murcky one!
Primordial soup! lets think that way!

many years ago in cookery we made stock and soups! one of them is call a consomme! the principle of making a clear soup from a mucky one!
you place some component in a cold liquid cloudy that you bring to high heat until coagaltion at the surface and you make a hole at the center to let the impurities left rise up!

I think a bit like the poles!

if the heat is too fearce the corck or what I think it might reprecent the ozone layre it colapse slowly!
to catch it back in good time before total colapse you must regulate the heat few time!
sometime you are left with success or with a half colapse topping!

another way to make that kind of soup which is call a consomme
you make it like a stock and must be attentive and skimm what comes at the sufface the impurities such scum fat etc.....
and you strain it through a damp cloth!

which make me think after reflection and bringing home the fundamental of physics!
the sun may skimm the earth for another component to activate the sun may be as fuel or to activate the chaine reaction!

if the earth evolved as we know it now! the soup primordial did find a way to protec itself against the rays and give the sun may be what it want by protecting below!

the impurities such as CO2 are utilized by the plants to create O2!
a surplues or a too much of CO2 impurities which I though might rise up to the level of O3 through the process of the Bohr law and theory 1912!
I think!
through the poles you may observe it may be with the aurora Borealis!

as other planets in the system do have auroras I just wonder!

in particule accelerators we can change the main particules in another
they can be separated to singular them!
for that we use electrons I think or a charge circling the particules!
the auroras are may be a pritty thing but then it must have it good use!

if you look at the quiwper belt on UV photo about 100000KM from the surface you have O2 paticules well it is what it is said!
and below 28000KM I think you have the ozone!

sorry if I am not precise but then it is just the principle and the core of my idea I want you to read and think about it!

[edit on 26-2-2007 by deedub6]

[edit on 26-2-2007 by deedub6]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join