It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the trap that "scholars" fall into

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
good stuff thanks for all the replies

lastly can u tell me if the pubic would be able to handle some of the options the gov't has carried out as a result of the jason society reviewing scientists claim that back in 1957 that population growth would cause life threating harm to the ecosystems of the world in the next century if population was not decreased. do u think people can handle not the ways recomended for reducing birth rates but increasing death rates in the name of betterment for manking.

leading scientists in 1972 reiterated the same WARNING about population growth in that year and scientists and doctors created engineered disease to save us from the population explosion. and sure some scientist's , doctors talk about it, they are just discredited or commit suicide

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
lastly can u tell me if the pubic would be able to handle some of the options the gov't has carried out as a result of the jason society reviewing scientists claim that back in 1957 that population growth would cause life threating harm to the ecosystems of the world in the next century if population was not decreased.

Never heard of the Jason society. The pages I see on Internet seem... ah... wildly... uh... peculiar and not very believable. Perhaps it was another Jason society?

In any case, the "population growth causing harm to the ecosystem" being quashed is untrue. Rachel Carson's SILENT SPRING, written in the early 1960's was one of the landmark books of the ecological movement. As it turns out, environmentalism and concern for what humans and growing populations were doing to the Earth dates back 400 years or so to the 1600's.
en.wikipedia.org...

In America, Muir and Thoreau were preaching about environmental causes and population pressures. And Englishman, John Malthus, wrote the first mathematical study of population pressures and food and economics... back in the middle 1700's.
en.wikipedia.org...

Scholars and academics have been using Malthus' work ever since then... for centuries.

do u think people can handle not the ways recomended for reducing birth rates but increasing death rates in the name of betterment for manking.

I don't see why not. This discussion has been going on for thousands of years... usually in the form of "kill those savages over there and take their land and cleanse the earth of the abomination." The real question is: can we get people to think about other alternatives.

leading scientists in 1972 reiterated the same WARNING about population growth in that year and scientists and doctors created engineered disease to save us from the population explosion. and sure some scientist's , doctors talk about it, they are just discredited or commit suicide

The only place I hear this (and it's not credited and names are not given) is on conspiracy sites. If there was an "engineered disease" then it's doing a darn bad job of controlling population or even reducing it. I've never heard this from any scientist or doctor and have never encountered any warnings about this or certain kinds of banned research... medical or otherwise.

Usually the sites with this kind of announcement are made by people who don't know much about disease and "germ warfare."

By the way, various forms of "germ warfare" have been practiced for the past 2500 years or so:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
would u see yourself lending any credit to these reports as a reflection of weakness in your beleifs

and then u try to confuse the message with the messenger and discredit my arugument by saying you usually see these reports on conspiracy sites, um hello you a MODERATOR on a conspiracy website.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
this isn't the conspiracy section
its the mystery section
the only mystery imo is why people believe most of the garbage on the internet without actually checking it out themselves
if you check up on a claim you saw made on a conspiracy site by seeing whats said about it on other conspiracy sites then you're gonna be as paranoid as hell ten minutes later
if you check it out on credible sites that give you straightforward common sense answers and then decide to ignore it then you don't belong on credible sites
because you're a conspiracy theorist
I think they made a movie about that

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

would u see yourself lending any credit to these reports as a reflection of weakness in your beleifs

Not only me, but I work with a number of scientists (including a paleontologist) and I'm at a university and doing research. So I have some real first-hand knowledge.

I have seen the Bush administration try to suppress things and cut funding, but I notice that this hasn't prevented scientists in Australia, England, Japan, Canada, and other nations continuing along with this research.

and then u try to confuse the message with the messenger and discredit my arugument by saying you usually see these reports on conspiracy sites, um hello you a MODERATOR on a conspiracy website.

Yes, I am. My point is that I haven't seen this anywhere else. I did search for the society (quite extensively) and it only appears on conspiracy based sites. There's no evidence that this knowledge has ever been suppressed.

The source of this "information" appears to be William Cooper and the claims get wilder as time goes along. For example, this section from a "top secret, don't tell anyone" webpage (available for anyone, including the FBI, to google):

In times of crisis, the JASON AGENTs within the NSA, the NATIONAL
COMPUTER CENTRE and the FBI would activate PROTOCOL FIVE and the
INTERNET will be destroyed!

The scenario was made up by someone who doesn't actually know how the Internet works. The US can't even shut down access to the internet here in the US. China has tried controlling Internet access for the Chinese and has been very unsuccessful at it.

Now... there are cases where academics are systematically killed -- Iraq is one such example. There's historic examples where scientists have been killed or imprisoned for their ideas (Gallileo is probably the classic, but there are many others.)

There's no evidence that "the Jason society" suppressed anything that they're accused of suppressing.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
people trying to make money sell books off of 2012 end times novels are probably the biggest reason some intelligent people beleive anything 2012 related is a crock of crap

also some people like myself like the feeling we get thinking we could be part of something special in the next 5 years even with the danger involved

plus the ego gets a boost by acting like we know something is going to happen while the majority do not, and that by stating our points loud and often enough more people will agree and this will strengthen our own beleif (making our ego feel better)

with the main reason for disbeleif a lack of trust in general for anything pretty much in an authoritive position due to past lies

because a/ we have seen lying take place at high authoritarian positions and it was painful and we are trying to "right there wrong" or inform others of possible danger

also because we know the media is owned by those in power, that includes the major tv networks, the major newspapers, and the institutions that often are responsibe for molding and shaping our beleifs in accorance with agenda's that benefit those in power (and keep the public distracted with nonsense entertainment) while they lie steal and deceive.

because we know that the aboriginees, mayan's, hopi, vedic, and more cultures depict the dawning of a new age after 2012 and a whole heck of alot of turmoil on the way to this transition.

and also we know the way human nature is nothing will change unless there is some great shift that is greater than us, and because the gov't and those in power would keep us in the dark if something major was on the horizon we still beleive because it is a better option.

either way nobody knows anything absolutely they only can interpret

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Has not anyone heard of peer review?

Comparing religion and science is a waste of time.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   

because we know that the aboriginees, mayan's, hopi, vedic, and more cultures depict the dawning of a new age after 2012 and a whole heck of alot of turmoil on the way to this transition.

Please quote your source. I don't care about Mayans, they're long gone, and even 'though Hopi Indians fall under the correct meaning of the term "aboriginal" most people use the term only in refernce to indigenous Australians. Now, as someone who has lived in central Australia before, I'd be really interested to know how the Anangu-Pitjanjatjara could predict a coming apocalypse in 2012 when they have no calendar and for them time is both endless and stationary (they are permanently in the Dreaming) and also marked only by the seasons (which is how you know it's approaching time to pick up your humpee and move on...

bold mine

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
When i finished my engineering course and finally started work an old toolmaker who had been working at the same trade since he left school said
"Chap, new engineers are like lighthouses in the desert... Very bright but f**kall ues to anyone"
Basicly no matter how much you think you know, there is always more and what you take as firm hard truth may not be ture. A lot of out there are saying "Well I already know this" but look back to the begining of the 1970's. The mainsteam view of environmentalists was hairy unwashed tree hugging hippies harping on about using up the coal, oil, trees, rainforrest, pollution and global warming. Thirty odd years later environmental sutdies and projects are being funded at an unprecedented rate.
Scholars, teachers, tutors even students, whatever you call them are just humans after all.
Can you imagin what would have happen if you walked into Priceton and tapped Einstein on the sholder and said "by the way Albie old chap your theory of reletivity, its a bit duff"
Its right to test the validity of facts that are taken as given.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join