It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freudian Slip: Bush Interview Excerpts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Look beyond the malapropisms to see where his 'head is at' & please comment with your perspectives.
My take is that he's void of original thought, stuck in recycle mode of his father's platforms, ideas and personnel. He's detached from the seminal event ( Vietnam War) of his generation due to privelege and being AWOL. He is yelling to all that can listen that he will delegate EVERYTHING as Reagan did. And most importantly, he is comfortable in Purple Robes.
That's my read on things....what's yours?

argument.independent.co.uk...

"The vision thing matters. That's another lesson I learnt. See, I think my job is to stay ahead of the moment. A President, I guess, can get so bogged down in the moment that you're unable to be the strategic thinker that you're supposed to be, or at least provoke strategic thought. And I'm the kind of person that wants to make sure that all risk is assessed."

"I can only just go by my instincts. Listen, I am a product of the Vietnam world. There is a very fine line between micromanaging combat and setting the tactics [and] to kind of make sure there is a sense of, not urgency, but purpose and forward movement."

"I'm the commander, I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation...."

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
"I'm the commander, I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation...."

Actually, by taking the Oath of Office as required by the Constitution, he's answerable to the American Public...Which shows you how much faith he puts in his vows.

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Even giving credit, a BUNCH of credit, to the theory of 'MBA President- sees things as a company CEO would', blah blah, he STILL would be accountable to shareholders.

..........twilights last gleaming is stuck on skip in my head for some reason......

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 06:02 AM
link   
A CEO is not expected or allowed to give away corperate secrets. Also, he is right, he doesn't have to answer to just anybody as he is the president. It all depends on what context these little snippets were taken.

I enjoyed Mr. Gore speaking, myself. A man that created the New York Times to ponder the question, "Is Gore too smart to be president?" said these little snippets that crack me up:

"That's no good for sure","Isn't she cool?", telling a reporter he wanted to discuss "big think" ideas and saying "I can't say this, it's going to sound too wierd."

In whatever context they are put, these do not sound like words phrases and sentences that should come out of a mature adult's mouth, mush less a presidnet's president's mouth

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 06:04 AM
link   
By the way, if anyone missed me last few days, my computer was off line. I'm back now. Am I grounded for not calling?

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This would be the regular, no additives, factory-finish, as prescribed by the United States Constitution (Article II, Section I, Clause 8) Oath? i.e.: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of the President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the constitution of the United States."
Generally famous for not containing the word �explain� (or any synonym) once?
While it may be desirable that a President explain, there is no constitutional need �never has been. To be sure he often would b well advised to explain, on a whole host of grounds, including his own political survival: but he never has to.
And while the odd language of US Presidents has certainly become something of a spectator sport, do look occasionally at the asinine questions the media-scribblers throw at them.
And greeting, Thomas �you were missed, old bottle-lifter.

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 07:10 AM
link   
..the "Freudian" bit in this topic? Plainly the source of this tedious Cut'n'pate didn't do so.
And the "Malapropism" was..? (blowed if I can see one)

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
..the "Freudian" bit in this topic? Plainly the source of this tedious Cut'n'pate didn't do so.
And the "Malapropism" was..? (blowed if I can see one)

Tedious? Really? An unscripted face to face with someone considered to be the leader of the free world, who has spoken in such a fashion less than any other president in recent history....tedious? Dear Estragon, me thinks you're too jaded or simply, to employ an American colloquialism, have a 'wild hair up your arse'.
The slips I've commented on & odes to Mrs. Malaprop are there.
If the words leaving the lips of the Leader of the Free World are "I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation...." , I think a pause for concern is warranted and insightful into how he views his station, no?

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 07:09 PM
link   
B-T, old friend, do you not greet a friend who has been away for what seems forever? My feelings are hurt! Or, they would be, had I had any of those things left.

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 11:49 PM
link   
But the actually "Malapropism(s)" in the pasted words of the Great Leader: (i.e. the confusion of similar sounding words to unintended comic effect as in: "It scared him so much that he became completely historical" as by Mrs Malaprop in Sheridan's "The Rivals") are..where, precisely??
a single example?

As ever: please post links to your private dictionary.

posted on Nov, 22 2002 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
B-T, old friend, do you not greet a friend who has been away for what seems forever? My feelings are hurt! Or, they would be, had I had any of those things left.

Thomas, I was already in mourning; I thought the Fed Scabs had already busted your Corp. Antagonist Union butt & shipped you off to a re-ed camp!

Welcome back.
What's your union rep's take on the hunt of your ilk be carried out by the Bu#es? It's Union busting Season!

Here's some more:
"One of America's leading investment banks, Morgan Stanley, has outraged US unions by telling clients to pull their money out of heavily unionised industries.
"Look for the union label - and run the other way," the analysts say in a research note circulated to north American clients last Thursday.
Describing pension plans as "toxic" for shareholders, the analysts argue that union firms are more likely to provide retirement and healthcare benefits that could eat into corporate profits. "

www.guardian.co.uk...

(*** But then you knew that would be coming from our Nation run by a party with a cabinet full of $100M ex-CEO's, no? :cool

[Edited on 22-11-2002 by Bout Time]

posted on Nov, 22 2002 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
But the actually "Malapropism(s)" in the pasted words of the Great Leader: (i.e. the confusion of similar sounding words to unintended comic effect as in: "It scared him so much that he became completely historical" as by Mrs Malaprop in Sheridan's "The Rivals") are..where, precisely??
a single example?

As ever: please post links to your private dictionary.

I wonder if you dress like William F. Buckely as well? Lord knows you wallow in minutiae just like him. The clamy & weak handshake doesn't add much to meeting him either, if you ever might.
But, I digress, and so it seems, so have you.

Thread Drift is what William coined it to be.

A Gold Star to you for calling the proper definition and my stretching it to cover what was actually poor grammer & word utilization.

But how's about that Boy King thunkin' he ain't ta answer O' no boody 'cept his self?

posted on Nov, 22 2002 @ 06:20 PM
link   
As you might imagine, B-T, my union leadership and I had some really intense political discussions! They were very fun, and I say that to a great extent because I won them. Having said that, let me defend them by saying that they were not prepared to defend the knee-jerk mantras when they were aggressively advanced against by fact. Had they some study time, it wouldn't have been so one-sided, I'm sure, as our leadership are as smart as they are stalwart.

Buckley, while I may agree with many of his positions, is someone I dislike. I dislike the way he doesn't care about his appearance before he goes on T.V. That tells me that I am unimportant to him. When someone pointed out that he uses words that most don't know, he responded by saying he wasn't talking to them, but to the ones who shared his vocabulary. So, as you can guess, I dislike him for being a pompous arse. I do not recall the pompous arse ever using a word with which I was unfamiliar, but that is beside the point. His attitude is all wrong.
That is why I did not renew my subscription to his stupid magazine.

[Edited on 23-11-2002 by Thomas Crowne]

top topics

join