It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddfellows?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Do these guys have rituals?
i have been doing a lot of research into them and its a grey area. some are saying yes and others are saying no. i am trying to find out myself but its hard to come across any information about rituals.

any of you guys know anything?

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Never heard of them. But I'm extremely new to this whole thing.

Care to fill me in a little or give me a reference to look at? I'm always up for learning more.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
www.ioof.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

thats two good links, first is their website.

google has a lot more information.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Do these guys have rituals?
i have been doing a lot of research into them and its a grey area. some are saying yes and others are saying no. i am trying to find out myself but its hard to come across any information about rituals.

any of you guys know anything?

Yes, the Odd Fellows have several degrees similar in structure to Freemasonry, Knights of Pythias, Knights of Columbus, etc.

Local Lodges confer four degrees: Initiatory, First, Second and Third.

They have degrees beyond the local "Lodge" called "The Encampment" as well as a uniformed division (similar to Masonic Knights Templar or 4th Degree Knights of Columbus) and a "Shriner-like" group called the Ancient Mystic Order of Samaritans, who even wear fezzes.

They have youth organizations called "The Junior Lodge" for boys and "Theta Rho" for girls and a "Rebekah Degree" for ladies, however a few years ago the local Lodges began accepting women as full members too.

Each of the degrees of the several branches has it's own initiation ceremony (ritual).

[edit on 25-2-2007 by Appak]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
My Dad is a member and i never knew they had levels.

I did apply to join when i was 19, but i never got around to applying.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

My Dad is a member and i never knew they had levels.
I did apply to join when i was 19, but i never got around to applying.

I see that you're in the U.K. Odd Fellowship (like Freemasonry) in the UK is different from Odd Fellowship in the USA. There it's called the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows. The rituals are slightly different and to my knowledge there are no concordant degrees.

Sorry for the confusion, but in the UK, they still do have degrees/rituals.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Appak

thanx, im trying to find like a diagram (if its on the net) to display the different degrees in the United Kingdom.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Appak

thanx, im trying to find like a diagram (if its on the net) to display the different degrees in the United Kingdom.

I didn't find that, but I did find this.

www.guoofs.com...

It mentions the 1797 Ritual of the Ancient Patriotic Order of Odd Fellows. That ritual has been reproduced and (I think) is available from Amazon.com or a similar internet book seller.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
thank you!

excellent find

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Near as I can tell the only Odd Fellows meeting where I live is only once anually. I guess they have sort of died out around here.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Never before in the recorded history of mankind has there been such a need for true brotherhood among men. Due to unbelievable advaces in technology we are, in fact, now living next door neighbor to everyone on earth. The need for true brotherhood is therefore unmistakable. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows is founded on friendship, love and truth, which of course is the basis of brotherhood.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have heard that invite families to dine on sloppy joes with them for Christmas.

No, not making a joke.

top topics

join