It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

silenced rifles?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Btw, there is a modern version of De Lisle being manufactured by valkyrie arms. That would be a good choise as a silenced weapon.

Only drawback is a short range.

[edit on 24-4-2007 by northwolf]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Wow nice info on those silenced rifles everyone. Thank you all very much, now I know which weapon to give my main character! Now just to find an armourer that has that said weapon! hahahaha

And since I'm here I might as well shamelessly promote my latest short film, its relevant I feel, as it deals with survival, zombie survival at least...it is an instructional video in the 1950's style of "duck and cover". So its close enough to survival hahahah.

Hopefully you guys dont accuse me of spam or something, just enjoy the film.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
First of all, the only AK model I know of compatable w/ a suppressor is the AKS-74u, no 47, ya dig. First I would suggest a M24 7.62 mm (.308 caliber) standard issue sniper rifle. It is equipped with an 8x10 Leupold optic, holds five rounds, and is modeled after the Remington 700 BOLT action.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Oh, I nearly forgot, a silencer reduced velocity, so it shortens range, and using a hypersonic load kinda cancels out the silencer. You could use just plain old subsonic rounds, but like a suppressor, it is slow, and lacks power.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wcssar

WOOWWWW If u only knew what u were talking about! A .223 can is in real life 6 inches long and 1 3/4 inches wide, and a .308\ 30 cal. is only slighly longer and both can be concealed by the foregrip. Also since the gun in question is at least 3 feet long, and propably and auto (semi, or full) it's at the very min. 6 inches tall.... What differance if you add a paper towel roll to it? If anyone is close enough to spot the gun, that the only reason they saw it in the first place was because the saw the man carring the gun....IT.S CALLED CAMO!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
A guy at work 2 years ago, we got ito a subject just like this..he had said, to use a coke plastic bottle..like the 1 or 2 liter sized ones...will turn a rifle into a near silnced shot..it will be very not easy, for others detect whereabouts yuor shot came from.. never tried it yet..

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
for a .22 i use .22-SSS ammo made by Aguila and do not need a silencer.

The pop it makes in a rifle with a 26 inch barrel is about the same as a high power pellet gun.

this is better for use now because it gives the same sound level as you would get with a silencer without the legal dangers of getting caught with a illegal silencer.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sniper Dude

The M-24/M-40 sniper rifles are not modeled after Remington 700's. They are accurized 700's. If you want something that accurate get a Savage model 111 or Savage Tactical. A lot cheaper in price, and just as accurate from the factory.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Hmmm, silenced sniper rifle?
There's only one that springs to mind:
VSS Vintorez

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
No single rifle will cover everything.
Subsonic 22 rounds are great for food and tapping somebody behind the ear.

A decent quality 308 (nato 7.62) will take care of general issues and some longer range shots.

Don't get too wrapped up in fancy. Use reliable and available tools.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A few things:

1) A good suppressor does not reduce accuracy, usually it increases it.
2) A suppressor (w/o wipes) does not reduce bullet velocity, it usually
increases it
3) Even with super sonic ammo suppressor helps conceal shooter location

Let me pause here. Actually sub-sonic ammo (below about 1100 fps) can give away a shooter's location more than super-sonic because without the sonic crack of the round passing by, you can hear a sub-sonic round's flight noise as it passes by and determine where it came from. Super sonics you can't tell with the crack. So try not to miss with the subs.

4) A suppressor is the ultimate flash suppressor. Suppressors at night give you a huge advantage over non suppressed opponents.

308/7.62 NATO is the best overall rifle catridge IMO. Widely used, extensive ballistic data, subsonic ammo (Lapua) available

A 308 w/ a suppressor & subsonic ammo or 308 to 32 H&R catridge adapter and suppressor can be confidently shot and unheard from 300 yards away. The 32 H&R catridge adapters can make your 308 alot quieter without a silencer.

Northwolf: No offense, don't buy anything from Valkyrie, looks nice but total crap.

SniperDude: Suppressor does not decrease velocity. Always good to conceal muzzle blast. Hide rifle shot, angle the shot past a building to the target and the ballistic crack of the round will sound like the shot came from somewhere else. Tactical Deployment of Silencer 101. Also, 450 flbs of energy @ 100 yrds in subsonic isn't exactly lacking in power.

I wouldn't put a suppressor on an AK, they already have barrell flex problems because of their heavy actions and the weight of a silencer at the front would probalby degrade their accuracy even more.

Pistols/Pistol rounds:
45's are hard to suppress (large dia)
40 S&W is better
9 MM is usually the choice on suppressed pistols, but 9mm lacks power, especially subsonic ammo.

22 lr: nice for pests but wouldn't want to depend on it for sentry removal. Sub sonic means you have to keep muzzle velocity below 1100 fps. To keep knockdown power when you slow the bullet, make it heavier to maintain kill power. 22lr is a light bullet, 42 gr. Compare to 308's 200 gr. Or the 32 H&R at 95 gr. If I'm going to get hit by any of them at a thousand feet per second, I'd chose the 42 gr with a fifth of the knockdown power of the 308.

Don't mean to offend anyone, just trying to get info I think is most accurate out.

Last thing, don't hand load subsonics yourself, buy them. It's not as simple as cutting the powder down to reduce velocity. You have to expand the cartidge primer hole, use magnum primers, moly-coat bullets. Don't want to buy subsonics? That's why I said to get 308 to 32 H&R chamber adapter. Federal 32HR ammo have muzzle velocity of 1030 fps. You buy standard ammo that is subsonic by design.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exmar

Northwolf: No offense, don't buy anything from Valkyrie, looks nice but total crap.

I wouldn't put a suppressor on an AK, they already have barrell flex problems because of their heavy actions and the weight of a silencer at the front would probalby degrade their accuracy even more.

Pistols/Pistol rounds:
45's are hard to suppress (large dia)
40 S&W is better
9 MM is usually the choice on suppressed pistols, but 9mm lacks power, especially subsonic ammo.

Last thing, don't hand load subsonics yourself, buy them. It's not as simple as cutting the powder down to reduce velocity. You have to expand the cartidge primer hole, use magnum primers, moly-coat bullets. Don't want to buy subsonics? That's why I said to get 308 to 32 H&R chamber adapter. Federal 32HR ammo have muzzle velocity of 1030 fps. You buy standard ammo that is subsonic by design.

Thanks for the info on Valkyrie, concept was sound, but we don't get their guns over here.

AK:s are fully capable of handling a suppressor, we've been shooting with supressed AK:s for decades. There are absolutely no accuracy issues. And the best thing is you can load a 12g bullets intended for the 7.62x54R into subsonics that allow norman cyclling in selfloading weapons.

Loading subsonics is actually easy, especially with pistol calibers, with rifles the powder selection is the most important factor, pick a "high volume" one.

As for pistol callibers, .45 is the best silenced caliber. Why? Because most factory ammo is subsonic. And it's just as quiet as 9mm with subsonic load. (Or at least my ears couldn't hear the difference yeasterday)

Br,
NW

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Instead of a weapon with a silencer or suppressor on it witch would waigh in at about 20lbs. I think you would be better off giving your guy some brains. If you don,t want someone to pinpoint your location when you kill that deer or person. All you have to do is kill it in one shot. The number 1 rule when hiding out in the wilderness is you never shoot more then once from the same location. I belive a 22. magnum is the best all a round weapon. 500 rounds of amo can be carried with no problem. It has the power to kill deer sized game out to 100 yrds. with a well placed shot. Try lugging around 500 rds of 7.62x39mm all day out in the woods.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

"One guy told me that a silenced MP5 won't kill someone even with a full spray past about 60-90 feet."

I don't doubt you brother, but the person that said this to you, regardless of how many kills he has in real life, he lied to you on that day. I know it to be true, first hand,

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
You're survivalist must be inventive, or he'd be someone else's meat.
This in mind, assume he can reload his own cartridges, cast his own lead bullets, with portable gear [old Lee loader, single cavity bullet mould]
He then has the capability to load subsonic ammunition. With the need for subsonic velocity a given, the loss in the bullet's kinetic energy can be made up with additional bullet weight. As many have pointed out, larger caliber [diameter] bullets are often used to increase weight of the projectile, compensating for the low velocity. However, a larger caliber rifled barrel for the AK47 will not be something readily replaceable in the post-apocolyptic market.
Your protagonist could simply cast his bullets twice the length of the standard AK47, coming up with a projectile of about 250 Avoirdupois grains.
While not optimum, such an overlength bullet can be seated in the standard cartridge case, which will work with the original magazine ['clip'] of weapon. Ballistics tables for .32 caliber bullets of 250 grains at subsonic velocities [about 340 meters per second] should tell you how high your character will have to aim to decapitate his foes.

You may want to investigate the possibility of using flechettes loaded into sabots. The sabot can be cast by melting polyethelyne containers, and serves the purpose of sealing the cartridge case and bore, providing something for the propellant gas to push against.
The flechette is a small arrow, usually steel. Casting them from steel would not be impossible, but easier from copper, brass. The flechette does not travel as a bullet does, and does not rely on kinetic energy to the extent a bullet does. A flechette travels like an arrow, does it's damage like an arrow.
Far less propellant ['gunpowder' - actually nitrocellulose, please don't say 'cordite', that hasn't been around for decades] will be needed to propel a flechette to 340m/s, since it has less mass.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join