It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coincidence Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
More than half of Americans believe in ''anomalous phenomena'' like clairvoyance, unexplained coincidence, prayer healing and psychokinesis. Yet mainstream science remains unconvinced. After all, these anomalies appear to fly in the face of everything we know about how mind and matter interact. But that may be about to change. This year, Elizabeth Lloyd Mayer, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley, introduced a conceptual model to explain seemingly inexplicable events scientifically.

In 1991, Mayer had her own brush with the anomalous. She was searching for a stolen family possession and, on a dare, turned for help to a man 800 miles away who claimed to be psychic. To her astonishment, he was able to tell her precisely where to find the missing object. Mayer wanted a scientific explanation, and she embarked on a decade of research.

www.nytimes.com...

The Psychic's the one who stole the family possession, the sucker.

Seriously though what do you guys think about this?

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I don't think a theory can prove coincidences, but i'm sure they exist, and psychics too.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Like I always say you need an instrument to measure what you do not know that exists? Where are the instruments?

What was it just this past week that astronomers finally agreed that 'universal dark matter' exists?

Gee didn't the old testament say thousands of years ago... From the dark came light..?

Sorry but my contempt for so called SCIENCE only grows every day!

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well at least they're doing SOMETHING!!! Until you come up with something YOURSELF I'm sure their contempt for you will grow everyday. In fact no I don't think it will, I doubt the give a #.

You've got a point though.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
They are doing something?

Yeah like collecting fat salaries to keep the same old BS going round and round, is more like it.

Maybe if much of the academic and scientific world had to face the vagarities of the 'street' like the rest of us then they would learn that there is no such thing as security and thus no entrenched ideas!

In regards myself I have come up with a number of things despite what you think, let the people of thick glasses sweat the details for that is why they exist.

Oh and you are correct they like most people on this earth only give a # about themselves.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Wow! What a generalization, I suppose you think everyone is Iraq are terrorists as well? Alot of scientists are not rich, they are busting their arses trying to make new discoveries, trying to solve the mysteries of this world and the Universe and mostly without any funding. They do it only for discovery and not for self glorification.

If it weren't for scientists you wouldn't be using that thing called a computer to express your ego. You wouldn't have electricity, light, flight, phone e.t.c. In fact if it wasn't for for scientists you'd probably be still wiping your arse with leaves and burning people you believe are witches.

Yes it's true there are also alot of charlatans in the scientific community, but isn't that true of everything? You have false psychics conning money out of people, you have priests feeding on peoples guilt to collect "charity money" (which goes into their arse pockets), you also have people promising spirital enlightenment, UFOlogists e.t.c. all making money through their lies.
However, it doesn't mean they are ALL con artists and charlatans, and I would never dream of making such ignorant statements as:

"They are doing something?

Yeah like collecting fat salaries to keep the same old BS going round and round, is more like it. "

There is good and bad EVERYWHERE, but don't decide to flame only one specific group just because they don't fit into your own personal agenda.

[Edited on 21-12-2003 by John Nada]

top topics

join