It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   

space cannot exist without time and vice versa

can you please explain what you mean by 'time'?

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's really not that hard to understand...think of it as a fourth dimension all around us...look up time travel and space time continuum on google

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:42 PM
link   
forgive me, but could you explain what YOU mean...

i'm well aware of current (and not so current) theories but this wouldnt be much of a discussion forum if we just supplied links to other academic ramblings to which we agree or not.

we need to synthesise our readings and discuss, in the hope that slightly new models of thinking and discussion can emerge.

i always find reading something someone else has written goes so far. it's when we try to put it down in writing ourselves and thus 'colour' it that we open up new avenues of thinking. this un-doing or re-spelling of ideas helps to further our knowledge, and perhaps help us see things in a different light.

sorry to sound a little pretentious!

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
ahhh...its kind of hard to explain which is why i told you to search for space-time continuum. This theory has been around for a while and says that time and space coexist and depend on each other. that's all we really know, but then again it is just a theory.

"It is well known that the space/time continuum is curved. Recently, it has been possible to detect this curvature. As three-dimensional beings, we perceive time only as a result of memory. We remember what was as a variable interval from what is now. If we had zero memory, we could not detect time - we would exist only for the moment. The result of this is our apparent perception of time as a linear line, always going forward. This is similar to primitive peoples perceiving the Earth as flat. It could be infinite - the horizon always kept bringing something new no matter how far they traveled; or, it could be finite, in which case there was the risk of falling off the edge."

"In order to accomplish the space/time continuum jump, we have to:

Rise into the fourth dimension.
Jump to a new point within that dimension.
Descend back into the third dimension. "

That was from this site

Again, you asked to explain in my own words, I have no idea how "time" works, but I am pretty sure that it does. We just need more proof to be positive, which is why I was just giving you some info that others have theorized about time.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
My theory on time travel is that a focused high intensity electromagnetic field may perhaps create a rip in time/space. This theory came from reports of magnetic anomolies in the Bermuda Triangle. Though you run into many problems with this theory, how would one control their destination, as well as getting back to their own time. Not to mention all the physics theories on changing things in the past and so forth.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'm at a stalemate with myself really. To introduce another variable:
LOCOM(law of conservation of matter) matter cannot be created nor destroyed. It can only change form and absorb or give off energy.
Arguement against time travel:
If you travel from the future into the past, you're bringing matter INTO the past universe, therefore running afoul of the law.
Arguement for time travel:
The only loophole is that if Time IS another dimension of space, because then the total amount of matter distributed through time would be the same.

Debate aside, it's unlikely time travel will become widely available in my lifetime, because I wrote myself a note on a piece of paper that I always keep with me with a specific date and time to visit. That time already passed, and I didn't see my future self. Only reasons it didn't work is because
1. Time travel is impossible, or it isn't developed during my lifetime
2. I die particularly early before Time travel is developed
3. I lose the paper
4. I was given strict rules not to interact with my past self and only observe from far away. Whatever the reason, I'll keep up hope that time travel is true...so many things I wish I could change.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jetshadow
I'm at a stalemate with myself really. To introduce another variable:
LOCOM(law of conservation of matter) matter cannot be created nor destroyed. It can only change form and absorb or give off energy.
Arguement against time travel:
If you travel from the future into the past, you're bringing matter INTO the past universe, therefore running afoul of the law.
Arguement for time travel:
The only loophole is that if Time IS another dimension of space, because then the total amount of matter distributed through time would be the same.

Jetshadow, this is EXACTLY what I was saying earlier...matter is neither created nor destroyed, but if you are transferring matter from one "space" to another through the fourth dimension, this would seem to upset the space-time continuum...the only thing that seems to disobey this is black holes, which we don't completely know how they work yet.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Black holes are fairly simple I think. They're just super condensed stars. They're just so dense that light can't escape. It's the breakdown of physics around the black hole that is strange. But ultimately, it doesn't matter. You go in, you get ripped up, then incinerated.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   
well black holes go against the conservation of matter theory, since they are supposed to just turn matter into nothing..

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Actually, they don't. They just keep crushing it down to a point. All the matter is still there, just superdense. Eventually they'll eat up so much matter than they will literally explode, and they'll re-seed the universe with new elements.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Im talking about the singularity...then again all that we "know" about black holes is based on theory. But don't the singularities have infinite density/mass

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:59 PM
link   
To clarify, basically the mass that was left over from the supernova explosion is all the matter that a black hole will start out with. It will collapse to an infinite density, but it is a set amount of matter. If the black hole comes near something new, it will add to the mass, and just get crunched down in there with the rest of it.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Ive read quite a few well known theories about black holes and singularities, as well as relating to time travel...still waiting for some solid information to be discovered.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Yeah, well see, there's the fun fact...we can never really have any concrete evidence unless we had a ship that could travel faster than light...

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I have read about some people who speculate about "weak singularities" that would open a worm hole or possibly transport you somewhere else or to a different time, or who knows what. But these would theoretically allow a ship to pass through unharmed. Of course there are no facts to support these even exist.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Actually, now that I've thought about it, I think a form of fast time travel into the future could be accomplished by the "slingshot effect" If you were able to fire a ship up to a high enough speed and angled it just right so that you would pass by a singularity but get thrown around it instead, you could catapult yourself back out of the event horizon, and you would have travelled into the future quite a bit.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
has anyone been paying attention to George Noory's experiment with Dr. Irving Glotch? www.coasttocoastam.com... this seems to be pretty legit otherwise he wouldn't be doing it. what do some of you more educated people in this field think?

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a few summers ago, i had an experience where i kind of thought up a personal theory on time travel (or maybe it would be more appropriate to call it the lack of travel). here it is:

time travel is impossible. but seeing into the past is possible. we do it everytime we look at the stars, and to a lesser degree, we do it when we look at anything. light travels at a finite speed, so when you are looking, for example, at a star that is 1 light year(which is, of course, the distance that light travels in one years time) away, what you are actually seeing is what that star looked like exactly 1 year prior. looking into the past of earth would be a bit more tricky, as this would require that einstein be wrong in his ascertion that nothing can travel faster than light. so assuming that you could travel faster than light, all you would need to do is take off away from the earth , exceed light speed, and outrun the light traveling away from earth. so if, for yet another example, you were able to reach exactly twice the speed of light instantaneously, and maintain that exact speed for the distance of two light years, then if you looked back at earth with a powerful enough telescope, you would be looking at what was happening at what was happening on earth exactly one year prior to your takeoff.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
We have already done time travel. Astronauts go like 0.00001 into the future every time they blast off into space. A space shuttle goes prety damn ass fast, I can't remmeber the exact number but I think it's something like 13 000 mph or around that. If we went around the speed of light then time travel would be a reality. But we can only go forward in time. To go backwards it would mean going something like -1 000 000mph, but how the hell to you do -mph? It's complicated stuff.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by dirtjumper]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well, how about this, rather than arguing round and round about whether or not you can send an object like a person or machine through time, why don't someone try to send or receive a signal from say the future?

You're all arguing over energy right? So why don't you start there? A radio or TV broadcast, an internet connection, a phone call, something along those lines...

If someone is sleeping in bed and dreams at night of the future, what's happening in his head? How is a low power human brain able to see the future, if you believe in that phenomenon? What is the electrical signal like of a deep delta wave sleeper? Does it go deeper, and if it can go deeper can it enable someone to see the future?

So what if you made a filter for your inernet connection that could do a similar job like the sleeping mind, enhanced it, and allowed you to search the web of say tomorrow or next week, what would you do with it?
Could you tell anyone?
Or maybe you could just copy and post future news events in current time and allow others to judge for themselves.

I mention this method since a lot of threads on here deal with aliens showing people video of the future. Maybe its a fairly simple technological doo-dad that everyone overlooks.

Maybe the Montauk guys just did it the hard way.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join