It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. court upholds same-sex teaching to children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

U.S. court upholds same-sex teaching to children

Source Link: today .reuters.com

A federal judge in Boston has dismissed a suit by two families who wanted to stop a Massachusetts town and its public school system from teaching their children about gay marriage, court documents show.

The families last year filed the suit asserting that the reading of a gay-themed book and handing out to elementary school students of other children's books that discussed homosexuality without first notifying parents was a violation of their religious rights.

Federal Judge Mark Wolf ruled on Friday that public schools are "entitled to teach anything that is reasonably related to the goals of preparing students to become engaged and productive citizens in our democracy
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24/2/2007 by enjoies05]

[edit on 24/2/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Excellent decision by this judge.

It's about time these frivolous law suits are tossed out of court and people start to realize that children won't be harmed by the truth.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It is an attack on Christianity, religious rights, and parental rights. It is against my religious beliefs, and is equivalent to teaching them occultic, satinist, and new age practices.

It is abhorrent the way they are taking parental rights from us every time they can. Next thing you know we will not be able to raise our children with our beliefs, morals, and values. Which could lead to the ultimate worst nightmare for any parent. To have to obtain governmental permission to be able to try to raise your own child with a mydraid, rigid rules and restrictions as what you can and can not do. Mandatory years worth of parenting classes to indoctrinate the parent to what the governments wants and expects. Rules such as not being able to teach them about your faith. Not being able to homeschool or send them to a private school. Not being able to discipline them to name a few.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
It is an attack on Christianity, religious rights, and parental rights.

Denying that homosexuality exists is freely advocating ignorance. It's not the school's job to teach children about "Christianity, religious rights, and parental rights;" it's the parent's job. If the parents wanted their children to learn Christian and religious morals and teachings at school, then they should have sent them to a private school.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It is not the duty or the right of a school system to teach grade school children about deviant lifestyle choices like homosexuality. That should be left to the discretion of the parent. No government run tax funded institution should have the right to force such harmful material upon young children, especially against a parents wishes. It seems that gays are so eager to force people to buy into their claims that homosexuality is decent and normal that they are willing to stoop to any level to spread their views, even by poisoning the minds of young children who will be forcibly indoctrinated. Personally I could care less what two grown adults do in the privacy of their own homes, and I am no religious nut, I just think it is wrong to force feed young children your gay agenda, especially when they are not YOUR children. Use some common sense for a change.

Feel free to chime in with the typical "you are a homophobe blah blah" I fully expect it as it is typical. But let it be known that people will not stand for such sickening attempts to indoctrinate their children, it won't be done.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
To have to obtain governmental permission to be able to try to raise your own child with a mydraid, rigid rules and restrictions as what you can and can not do. Mandatory years worth of parenting classes to indoctrinate the parent to what the governments wants and expects. Rules such as not being able to teach them about your faith. Not being able to homeschool or send them to a private school. Not being able to discipline them to name a few.

This isn't about telling anybody what they can or cannot do, it's simply teaching a fact of life. Hopefully in doing so we can eliminate the prejudices that exist in our society by the time your children have children. I got to learn about homosexuality on the schoolyard and believe me, my friends and I were absolutely repulsed at the very idea. I had to grow out of my ignorance by myself, but not all children will. I've known plenty of violently homophobic people and if all it takes is a little education to end that then I'm all for it.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
It is not the duty or the right of a school system to teach grade school children about deviant lifestyle choices like homosexuality.

How is homosexuality deviant? It has existed just as long as heterosexuality, and in every culture and country of the world. So, it's not the school's position to teach about homosexuality existing, but it is ok for them to teach about heterosexuality?

It seems that gays are so eager to force people to buy into their claims that homosexuality is decent and normal that they are willing to stoop to any level to spread their views, even by poisoning the minds of young children who will be forcibly indoctrinated.

Can you show us any sources or proof that states that any of the teachers who are teaching this are homosexual?

Personally I could care less what two grown adults do in the privacy of their own homes, and I am no religious nut, I just think it is wrong to force feed young children your gay agenda, especially when they are not YOUR children.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I'm not gay. I would freely allow my children (when I have them) to learn about all people of the world, not only my own. I don't want my children to grow ignorant of the real world, only to be shocked when they discover it on their own.

Use some common sense for a change.

Common sense dictates that homosexuality exists and there are children who will grow up to be heterosexual and homosexual, despite what they are taught in schools.

Feel free to chime in with the typical "you are a homophobe blah blah" I fully expect it as it is typical.

Has anyone said that, or are you wanting someone to say it?

But let it be known that people will not stand for such sickening attempts to indoctrinate their children, it won't be done.

They were read a story from a book. I would hardly call it "indoctrinating" children to homosexuality.

[edit on 5-3-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
If teaching "sex ed" in elementary school is based solely around heterosexual activities, children who do grow up 'to be' or 'as' homosexual (not because of the teachings of their parents, school, or peers; but simply because they have chosen that path for themselves) will not have sufficient education to protect themselves against STD's, physical complications that can be caused by sex such as (in the boys cases) hemorrhoids and anal tearing, or (in the both cases) proper care of adult toys to prevent infection or bacterial growth. Honestly I think that such education should start early but with out specific detail given until they reach high school. However, this doesn't have anything to do with merely mentioning homosexuality in a school environment. As it goes, Homosexuality is a fact of life that has been around as others have said "just as long as heterosexuality" It was actually more accepted long long in the past and it wasn't until Christianity, Catholicism, and other moral based religions showed up that homosexual activity was persecuted as being unnatural or deviant(let me remind you that sexuality in all forms has been around long before any of those religions started), and still there were those that would have it no other way. I think ignorance is passed from parent to child just as any other trait could possibly be. If we are to be happy in this world with each other, we have to be more accepting of each other.

I am not homosexual, in fact I am a wife and mother, and woman, who likes men very much, so I'm not necessarily rooting for homosexuality. I have a son who I would like to see make decisions for himself; and believe very firmly that self discovery can only be attained when you yourself are searching for it, not with the harsh direction of your parents. Weather he becomes heterosexual or homosexual is his choice ultimately. He could be bisexual for all I care and I wouldn't love him any less. I don't understand how any parent could see it any other way.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I suppose if I were a fundamentalist Christian I too would be upset at this news. I would probably tell my children in advance of attending whatever class that discusses the legitimacy of homosexuality that this is a plot by Satanists (including practioners of new age philosophies and Wicca) and that they are to gird themselves in the armor of God.

When they got home from school I would take them to the living room and read selected verses from the Bible that support my position. Then we would pray and thank God for the AIDS virus which has struck down so many of His enemies. We would then pray for all of the Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Buddhists, Unitarians, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons of this land that they may learn of the true Jesus, my personal lord and saviour, so we could turn this country into the Christian nation I envision. I would then ask a blessing for our Christian President George W. Bush, that he may be victorious against the agents of the Devil, both here and abroad, and that the word of God be spread throughout the middle east.

I would teach my kids that the Republican Party is the only party that espouses our Christian values and that voting for a democrat is akin to killing a baby. I would teach them that anyone who disagrees with what I or what our preacher says should be discounted immediately.

In that way and with righteousness and holiness on my side I could overcome the repugnant and blasphemous teachings of Massachusetts public schools in which they dare suggest that two people of the same sex can legitimately love each other.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
How dare the government schools thinks its even ok to take our children who should be playing with their dolls and cars and start teaching them about their bodies.

When they first started teaching sex in schools it was at the senior levels. Even at that parents didn’t think it was a good idea. Some maybe but not all. The government saw no problem because these kids were graduating and going out into the world.

Today its moved from our 17 year old seniors to our 9 year old babies.

Start teaching them more than they should know at this point. Its not their business to teach our children sex of any kind. Especially homosexually!

The schools should be more worried about READING, WRITING, and ARITHMETIC.

This is just more proof of the government taking over our lives and saying WE do a better job than YOU can do on raising your kids.

I’m very mad about this.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
The schools should be more worried about READING, WRITING, and ARITHMETIC.

This is just more proof of the government taking over our lives and saying WE do a better job than YOU can do on raising your kids.

I’m very mad about this.

In too many cases the gov't actually does a better job of raising kids than do their parents. Ask any teacher.

I do not fear dissenting views from the gov't or the school system because I ensure that I raise my children, not anyone else.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I totally disagree with that statement. Unless of course you come from an abusive home where the parents just don’t give a crap. And school is your way out of the trouble home. However, most parents love and truly care for their kids. There is no way that a person who only has your child for 180-190 days whom you probably just met and vice versa is going to do a better job. I know a few teachers personally and their attitude is well, “I’m just a babysitter anyways.” I didn’t like that statement and I defiantly don’t want that teacher teaching my child anything especially something such as sex that should be taught for marriage.

Just look at the statistics did our parents and grandparents have sex thought in schools. No! Did they have babies out of wedlock while still a child themselves? No! Not the way our children do today. Just as soon as they started teaching our kids sex our kids started having sex and babies. They know what they are doing. They want to separate families.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Just as soon as they started teaching our kids sex our kids started having sex and babies. They know what they are doing. They want to separate families.

I don't think it is in the state's interest to care for a bunch of babies born out of wedlock. Kids get pregnant because parents don't teach them how to avoid it. Sure they preach abstenance, but that rarely works because most of us are biologically driven to...well...you know.

The majority of teens have had sexual relations of one form or another since the dawn of man. The only difference is that our ancesters would "do the right thing" and get married way too young. Then the men would work and live hard, miserable lives while the women were relegated to breeding stock living under house arrest. No thanks.

The public school's version of sex education falls way short of my standards.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
It is not the duty or the right of a school system to teach grade school children about deviant lifestyle choices like homosexuality. That should be left to the discretion of the parent. No government run tax funded institution should have the right to force such harmful material upon young children, especially against a parents wishes. It seems that gays are so eager to force people to buy into their claims that homosexuality is decent and normal that they are willing to stoop to any level to spread their views, even by poisoning the minds of young children who will be forcibly indoctrinated. Personally I could care less what two grown adults do in the privacy of their own homes, and I am no religious nut, I just think it is wrong to force feed young children your gay agenda, especially when they are not YOUR children. Use some common sense for a change.

Feel free to chime in with the typical "you are a homophobe blah blah" I fully expect it as it is typical. But let it be known that people will not stand for such sickening attempts to indoctrinate their children, it won't be done.

You have voted BlackOps719 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
How old are these kids please? I can't find it anywhere.

I don't know when elementary school starts it sounds young, too young maybe.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by carslake]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I myself am sick and tired of parents teaching children religion.

Sorry, but why do you not allow them to grow up and convert them when they are older? To me it seems that the religion is so weak now you have to grab them when they are too young to think for themselves and brainwash them with what are more often than not evil books (Sorry, but read the Bible, Torah, Qur'an and so on and so fourth. A child is not old enough to understand many of the concepts).

If it was not for Religious groups going around brainwashing children with such nonsense as homosexuals being evil the Schools would not have to do this. Sorry but maybe just maybe children should be allowed to create and develop their own morals? As long as they do not harm another person (physicall or economically) I think parents need to relax a little.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by befoiled

Just as soon as they started teaching our kids sex our kids started having sex and babies. They know what they are doing. They want to separate families.

I don't think it is in the state's interest to care for a bunch of babies born out of wedlock. Kids get pregnant because parents don't teach them how to avoid it. Sure they preach abstenance, but that rarely works because most of us are biologically driven to...well...you know.

The majority of teens have had sexual relations of one form or another since the dawn of man. The only difference is that our ancesters would "do the right thing" and get married way too young. Then the men would work and live hard, miserable lives while the women were relegated to breeding stock living under house arrest. No thanks.

The public school's version of sex education falls way short of my standards.

I don't see the wrong in being married first. I see the wrong in adultery and fornication. No if a child whose under their puberty age does not know about sex then their curiosity will not go there. I know when I was nine years old I didn't think about sex. You generally don't think about something until you are shown or taught. I'm saying these kids are too young for any kind of sexual teaching.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I don't see the wrong in being married first. I see the wrong in adultery and fornication. No if a child whose under their puberty age does not know about sex then their curiosity will not go there. I know when I was nine years old I didn't think about sex. You generally don't think about something until you are shown or taught. I'm saying these kids are too young for any kind of sexual teaching.

The time to start teaching them is when they start to ask, whatever age that may be. I would rather they ask me than a teacher or a classmate, and I have always encouraged this.

Great, get married first. No problem with that. Though adultery would certainly be frowned on in my relationship
I also have no problem with unmarried people having sex.

I have a theory that equates sexual repression with increased capacity for violence, but that's a topic for a different thread.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by befoiled]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Just look at the statistics did our parents and grandparents have sex thought in schools. No! Did they have babies out of wedlock while still a child themselves? No! Not the way our children do today.

I suggest looking into history. These statements are totally false.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

So you're a religious guy. Please. We are in 2007. Stop your ``People should be married before making love. `` This is so lame.

It is not the duty or the right of a school system to teach grade school children about deviant lifestyle choices like homosexuality.

What are you saying? Deviant lifestyle choices? First it's not deviant/evil. Second, they DON'T MAKE THE CHOICE. Go back to Jesus Camp.

[edit on 6-3-2007 by Vitchilo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join